PDA

View Full Version : Removing Gear Shifter

Swamp Fox
4th April 2005, 20:47
Anyone have any tips on removing a gear shifter lever off a 2003 Sporty? After removing the pinch bolt, the lever doesn't slide off, and I'm afraid of marring the primary cover if I attempt to pry it off.

Thanks!

divisi
4th April 2005, 21:05
Be sure to completely remove the bolt from the lever and it should slide right off.

Shu
4th April 2005, 22:15
Yep, pull the bolt completely out of the lever and then it should pull off fairly easily. IF not take a wad of rags and put it bwtween a flat blade and gently pry off.

decman
4th April 2005, 22:48
You can us a screw driver blade in the slot to
force it apart a little.

Swamp Fox
5th April 2005, 00:40
Thanks for the tips! Will give it another try tomorrow after work.

barry1967
5th April 2005, 00:59
Well first ya need to get a nice new hacksaw blade....then.......

cantolina
5th April 2005, 01:31
Plasma Cutter

barry1967
5th April 2005, 01:33
Plasma Cutter

A lot less effort than a hacksaw but then ya have all the plasma burn to clean off

cantolina
5th April 2005, 01:47
A lot less effort than a hacksaw but then ya have all the plasma burn to clean off

Good point...hacksaw it is!

:)

barry1967
5th April 2005, 01:49
Good point...hacksaw it is!

:)

I don't know about you, but if I were him, I wouldn't listen to us. :p

Swamp Fox
5th April 2005, 02:24

Did y'all say something? :laugh

barry1967
5th April 2005, 02:26
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, NO! Why would you ask such a silly thing? Geez :surrender

IronMick
5th April 2005, 02:30
Sometimes, even after removing the bolt, they are really stuck right on. It is easy to break it if you try to pry it apart. Try soaking it in some penetrating oil. Wrap it in a paper towel and soak the towel with the oil. Whatever.

When too different metals bind together there is a chemical reaction that almost welds them. Need to break that. Try a propane torch.

cantolina
5th April 2005, 02:43
Sometimes, even after removing the bolt, they are really stuck right on. It is easy to break it if you try to pry it apart. Try soaking it in some penetrating oil. Wrap it in a paper towel and soak the towel with the oil. Whatever.

When too different metals bind together there is a chemical reaction that almost welds them. Need to break that. Try a propane torch.

Back to plasma cutter....

cantolina
5th April 2005, 02:44

Good point, he's kinda new here and doesn't know this yet...

;)

barry1967
5th April 2005, 02:51
Good point, he's kinda new here and doesn't know this yet...

;)

Know what? Did we say something?

bubbahog
5th April 2005, 03:14
Think you could wedge an M-80 in there? I think the gunpowder stains would come off pretty easy, if it's chrome.

barry1967
5th April 2005, 03:19
Think you could wedge an M-80 in there? I think the gunpowder stains would come off pretty easy, if it's chrome.
Well now, explosives are a nole new ball game. Nothing short of a pineapple, 1/4 stick, is unacceptable :D

cantolina
5th April 2005, 03:23
What the hell's the matter with you guys???? Explosives that close to the gas tank?

If yer gonna do THAT, at least have the good sense to wrap the gas tank in duct tape first.....oy....

barry1967
5th April 2005, 03:25
If yer gonna do THAT, at least have the good sense to wrap the gas tank in duct tape first.....oy....

I was unaware that duct tape was flame retardent. Good to know ;)

txsporty
5th April 2005, 03:31
Swamp Fox

When you get it off, put a bit of "Anti-seize" on it and it will be easier to remove next time!!! :D

cantolina
5th April 2005, 07:07
I was unaware that duct tape was flame retardent. Good to know ;)

ABSOLUTELY!!!!

My buddy James and I use it whenever we want to "customize" a helmet...

We use the duct tape to keep certain areas clean while we use shellac and a lighter to customize the helmet.....

Works great!!