PDA

View Full Version : 140 replace stock 130 on 1994 Hugger?

lcc
12th April 2007, 03:27
OK, will 140 work with no mods on rear of my 1994 Hugger? Bike has 16 X 3 stock 9-spoke cast wheel. Thinking of going to a 16 X 3.5 custom wheel and am concerned about the wider wheel 'flattening' out the print of the 130. Also, I have heard this talk also depends on which brand of tires I'm mounting. The stock Dunlops are fine with me, but I'd consider Metzelers as well. Somebody tell me if I should buy the 16 X 3.5 custom wheel and which tire to mount on it!

John1200
12th April 2007, 04:43
OK, will 140 work with no mods on rear of my 1994 Hugger? Bike has 16 X 3 stock 9-spoke cast wheel. Thinking of going to a 16 X 3.5 custom wheel and am concerned about the wider wheel 'flattening' out the print of the 130. Also, I have heard this talk also depends on which brand of tires I'm mounting. The stock Dunlops are fine with me, but I'd consider Metzelers as well. Somebody tell me if I should buy the 16 X 3.5 custom wheel and which tire to mount on it!

You need to do some measuring. Get a tape measure and measure the least amount of clearance that you have between the tire and any obstruction on the left or right side of the bike. This will probably be on the right side of the bike between the tire and the lower belt guard. Metzler suggests that a minimum of 1/4 inch clearance is needed. The Dunlop D401 130/90 16 tire is specified to be 5.18 inches wide. Using Metzler’s minimum clearance, the distance between the tightest clearance (in inches) less 1/4 inch times 2 plus 5.18 will give you the maximum width tire, in inches, that you should put on your bike. Multiply this measurement times 25.4 to convert to millimeters. Most of the tire web-sites will list the maximum width of their tires. A 140 series tire will not always measure 140 millimeters in width.