PDA

View Full Version : Wash the salt off?

celtic
12th April 2007, 20:18
Well, I have been really diligent about washing the salt off the new sporty.

Thing is, I have always been really bad at taking care of vehicles. I just want to beat the piss out of them and put them away.

I don't enjoy working on things like a lot of youse guys.

In the past couple years this has bit me in the ass.

My coolant hoses corroded away and just recently my 2001 ford has begun to rust pretty quickly. Also the heat shield is sitting on top of my exhaust because where it connects rusted away.

Now I'm thinking about the future...

I'm planning on taking care of my vehicles from now on.

How often should I wash the salt off of my car in the winter? In the past I really only washed it once or maybe twice (sometimes never) during the winter...

How often do you all wash your cars during the winter? Does it really keep the rust away, or are cars just basically gonna rust anyway?

celtic
13th April 2007, 18:47
cool, so none of you guys wash your cars at all.

glad that i'm not alone.

;)

doc
13th April 2007, 18:49
cool, so none of you guys wash your cars at all.

glad that i'm not alone.

;)

My wife washes mine.:smoke

Rob Henderson
13th April 2007, 23:54
I live in the desert so salt isn't a problem....When I lived in Chicago where salt is a real problem I washed the car every 2 weeks.

myrl883
14th April 2007, 00:22
Luckily, salt isn't used here!

nkyratdog
14th April 2007, 03:19
Everything i own with wheels gets at least a fresh water wash down at least ever 14-15 days if at all possible . It really makes a difference.

bsporty
14th April 2007, 04:00
Hey Celtic,
In the summer time I wash my beloved truck every other weekend dependig on how often I have driven it and if it has been thru the mud puddle.I live in NJ so you and I probably have about the same amount of snowfall.(you probably get more.)If your vehicle has salt residue you should wash it off.Rather then waste your time or avoid washing all togather, why not take your vehicles to the car wash?You wont have to do it yourself and your vehicles will stop rusting!

cantolina
14th April 2007, 04:25
Well, I have been really diligent about washing the salt off the new sporty.

Thing is, I have always been really bad at taking care of vehicles. I just want to beat the piss out of them and put them away.

I don't enjoy working on things like a lot of youse guys.

In the past couple years this has bit me in the ass.

My coolant hoses corroded away and just recently my 2001 ford has begun to rust pretty quickly. Also the heat shield is sitting on top of my exhaust because where it connects rusted away.

Now I'm thinking about the future...

I'm planning on taking care of my vehicles from now on.

How often should I wash the salt off of my car in the winter? In the past I really only washed it once or maybe twice (sometimes never) during the winter...

How often do you all wash your cars during the winter? Does it really keep the rust away, or are cars just basically gonna rust anyway?

My 94 S-10 Blazer is a beater.....I drive it when I can't drive the Sporty......very soon, I'll take it off the raod.....

All it needs to do is go, stop, and make heat.... :laugh

Gone
14th April 2007, 04:53
If you ride or drive on salted roads, I think the salt residue should be rinsed off at the end of each day's exposure. We don't use salt here in Western Washington, but I work at a shipyard and can tell you salt is as corrosive as many acids. Any bare metal surfaces can be attacked in mere hours and severe damage in a few days. Salt eats everything from rubber, to stainless steel, aluminum, crawls under paint, gets into grease, etc. It's bad news!!!

racerwill
14th April 2007, 04:58
agreed with Duane Wood on this.... salt will destroy almost every part of your bike that its left on.....

I always wash it off ASAP

Ww

vmaxx4
14th April 2007, 05:16
Living in Northern Ontario,Canada. :wonderlan I deal a lot with salt. We still have snow on the ground and salt on the roads today...WTF. :frownthre
The best advice I can give is to undercoat your vehicle with a good rust proofing and wash accordingly during the winter. Don't worry too much in the real cold days of winter, the warmer spring weather is when the salt does the most damage to your vehicle. When/if spring comes,give the under carriage a real good rinse. If you have a truck with removable fender flares, take them off and clean, I give mine a good coating of grease/oil when I put them back on. :smoke

Oh yea....avoid parking your vehicle in a heated garage during the winter if its covered in salt and your worried about rust. ;)