PDA

View Full Version : Are ya happy with where ya live ? if not, where would ya like to live.

Mr Jimi
19th April 2007, 21:52
We moved from Maine in 1980 and we been here since and loving it. And we now live in Florida:)
No more blizzards, ice storms and no driveways to shovel out anymore, now, we do have to own a generator and keep it up but that aint nuttin now to us but whats the difference between a generator and a snowblower? give that a little thought.
Place your replies here and always remember this !! The other man's grass is NOT always greener.:doh
Jim:tour

tcspannerwrench
19th April 2007, 21:56
growing up im Michigan i love living in Kentucky still have all four seasons the winters are not as harsh or as long

74cixl
19th April 2007, 22:01
Iowa is a good place to live and raise a family, I love to snowmobile also so winter is not a problem, lived here for 50 years hope to see many more, four seasons are perfect the bugs die off every fall.

Prebs
19th April 2007, 22:08
I'd certainly like to live some place warmer most of the yr. Not a fan of snow.. Some day i will move south.

PlanB
19th April 2007, 22:09
I followed my Dad all over the world while he was in the military and then I turned around and traveled the world for twenty seven years of my own in the military...I think traveling is in my blood permanently now, so next year when my youngest finishes high school, I shall continue my endless journey! Out of all the places I did live, I liked Panama and Costa Rica the best so far! But there's a lot more of this planet I need to visit before I'll decide on where I think Utopia is!

Jimi, I heard Florida is just Heaven's waiting room....any truth to that rumor? :D

Gone
19th April 2007, 22:11
I am happy living in Louisville but I want to get away from the city, a nice little place in the country would be great.

the further my neighbors are away the better.

Mr Jimi
19th April 2007, 22:13
Jimi, I heard Florida is just Heaven's waiting room....any truth to that rumor? :D

hell no, come on down:tour

Torkil
19th April 2007, 22:19
I would never ever consider to move anywhere else!
:no: It's in my veins :no:

pquirk
19th April 2007, 22:35
Although I picked no in the poll, I can't really say I'm not happy in IN, it's okay, just not the best place I've been. No matter where I am, I'll make the best of it. I've lived in several different states and I'd go back to CO in heartbeat. I keep watching the ads for work there and I'll go if I get a chance. I enjoy the fact there's no emmission control in Indiana though, that makes it easier on my air-cooled vehicles.

xena
19th April 2007, 22:43
The grass is always greener on the other guys lawn....

I'm not crazy about the cold weather. My bones
can't seem to deal with it like they could 20 yrs ago.
I hate shoveling snow. Taxes here are high. Insurance
is high...so then Xena, wtf?
Well I stay here because my roots are here. I have a large, loyal
customer database here (that took 8 yrs to grow).
Pay is good here. Something wrong to me about
places that never get cold. Imo we need the cold to periodically
kill off the old and start anew. I can get to the ocean or the mountains
(take your pick) in about an hour or less. I can be in downtown Boston
in less than a half hour, or cruising the country back roads in less than an hour.
I love to visit other places, but will always live here because this is where home
is to me, and this is where the people I love are.
Oh and I forgot, when it rains we don't get floods where I live,
and we don't get tornados or devastating wind/rain. So, all in all,
the good points far outweigh the not so good - for me anyway. ymmv.
I'd never try to convince anyone that this is greatest place on
earth to live, but on the same token, I don't believe for a second
if someone, someplace else tries to convince me that where they
live is the greatest. There has to be a balance, and what works for
one doesn't always work for another. Peace out Jim.

Mr Jimi
19th April 2007, 22:46
I would never ever consider to move anywhere else!
:no: It's in my veins :no:

Norway, that sounds real pretty, Post some pictures, please
I would like to live where KiltBill lives with our weather. May not happen in my lifetime:doh

wandrur
19th April 2007, 22:47
I've lived in Colorado for my entire life (28 1/2 years). Yes, I find that to be both a good and a bad thing. I've been in Boulder for the past 10 years, and the natural beauty of the mountains is something that I really don't think could ever be displaced from its home in my heart.

However...I have to admit that I feel a longing for something different, perhaps something with a quicker pace of life, or even something with a new working environment. I'm thinking I may find myself somewhere more populated within the next 3-5 years. But I'm pretty sure Colorado will always be home.

cuban_sporty_rider
19th April 2007, 22:58
i was born and raised in south FLA, but now live in NC b/c of the Army. NC is ok, but im moving back to FLA when i get the chance.

milmat1
19th April 2007, 23:07
I moved to North Carolina from Southern Ohio 10 years ago. And it was the best thing I have ever done.

I grew up on the Ohio River and thats the one thing I miss. The River !!! I would love to be able to open my window at night and hear the twin 20 Cylinder turbo Deisel Tugs pushing 30 barges loaded with coal up the river, Shaking the earth for miles around Like I did as a youngin......
Or the 30 and 40 pound Shovelhead Catfish !!!!

But you can keep those damb cold winters !!!!

wakeup
19th April 2007, 23:27
I voted "Why are you still where your at if your not happy where your at now?" because I'd like to be inside the Florida line, but since I'm in the military, SW georgia isn't bad.

KC_Sportster
20th April 2007, 00:01
Kansas city is pretty good overall, get all seasons and the worst we get are ice storms and tornados. Wish the crime rate wasn't increasing like it is but I guess that's everywhere...

Gone
20th April 2007, 00:12
I've lived in Colorado for 21 years now. I have liked it here from the moment I arrived. Although in the last 4 or 5 years it seems that there has to be a new housing development started almost daily. I just have to wonder what all of these new folks moving in around me do for a living to afford houses that start in $500,000 range.

Mr Jimi
20th April 2007, 00:21
Just a little friendly reminder for most of ya.
Have any of you clicked on my weather link in my signature? if not, here it is and really think about it and I am NOT selling land in Florida:doh
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=32065

Gone
20th April 2007, 00:35
Where would I like to live? Hmmmm, let's see. Well, with a brand new bike in the garage and fresh snow on the ground THIS MORNING, howz about anyplace it ain't SNOWING!!!!

Sorry, cabin fever. "Here's Johnny!"

Brad
20th April 2007, 01:07
I plan to move to the desert southwest within the next 5 years. Somewhere desolate but reasonably near a city. Cerillos, NM comes to mind... Open to suggestions:banana

Clarinetcat
20th April 2007, 01:15
Something wrong to me about
places that never get cold. Imo we need the cold to periodically
kill off the old and start anew. I can get to the ocean or the mountains
(take your pick) in about an hour or less.

I have to agree with Xena... there is something about the four seasons that really makes me appreciate summers more and more each year. This part of Pennsylvania I have lived in for a decade now is a good place to live, but I do miss Boston and New England in general because you can get to the shore and wilderness/mountains fairly easily, with a fantastic historical and cultural city nearby.

Ironically enough Mr Jimi, I love Maine and would consider retiring there... the coastal areas are stunning, and upstate is beautiful. There is something to be said for the peaceful, serene quiet of the wilderness, away from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the world.

Mt. Kineo, Moosehead Lake, Maine
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/djj/photos/gallery/downsampled/img_3778.jpg

Moody Beach, Maine
http://www.withrowsonthebeach.com/images/Looking%20North%202.jpg

DC in PHX
20th April 2007, 01:28
No place better than the "Valley of the Sun":banadanc :banadanc 82 degrees and severe clear!
DC

bsporty
20th April 2007, 01:54
I HATE it here.I live in Burlington,NJ.I have lived in the same towm my whole life.I want badly to move to North Carolina, but I cant afford to right now.

lagerdrinker
20th April 2007, 02:01
if i could, ide be in florida. maybe Mr.Jimi's neighbor:chtwo

Confused89
20th April 2007, 02:04
I like southern Indiana. Who wouldn't like a town called Santa Claus? I can choose to ride on roads that are kind of twisty and some that are not. I also grew up near the Ohio river. Although it is twenty miles away from me when I am at home I still like to go down to it and watch the barges go by. Chances are that when I graduate in two weeks and "hopefully" get a job I will not be living in the same area or maybe even in the same state.

hog rider
20th April 2007, 02:10
really like it here in soutern utah.but it gets 100 to115 in the summer to hot to do anything in summer.so that said house is up for sale and moving north to salt lake city cooler in the summer more thing to do with kids. down side snow but the grand kids live there good side and the wifes family lives there to.

Ole
20th April 2007, 02:56
I love Wisconsin through and through...that being said (after a career cut short in Uncle Sam's Club for Wayward Boys by some idiotic officer who didn't tie my anchor properly thus resulting in one hell of a fall and one dynamite PLF that didn't work causing five knee surgeries) my knees can't take much more of the ice/cold in the winter. I'm torn right now. My wife doesn't want to move anywhere unless it's by her family (west-central Illinois) and my body says, "Go south-west young (?!) man."

What's a guy to do? :banasad

Scooter_Trash
20th April 2007, 03:00
I'm in the metro KC area and I HATE IT!!! I've lived in every state from Maryland to Florida, also California, Kansas, and Missouri. I'd give anything to be back in VA or NC. CA wasn't bad, but there is just too many people. The only reason I'm still here is my wife was born and raised here and her family is here (which is good for my kids) and my job.

Nodaclu
20th April 2007, 03:07
Spent most of my life in Northern California, and have been in Nevada for the past three years, Vegas for the past two of them.

For my money, give me any place that has plants that are actually green, and trees or shrubs that grow above my knees.

I could also stand living someplace where people actually smile once or twice a week. An occasional hello would just be an added bonus. This has to be one of the unfriendliest, shallow, superficial and just plain mean places on earth.

I hate it. Of course, I don't gamble, so much of the "allure" of Vegas is completely lost on me. :D

~Mike

EDIT: And I didn't even mention the endless boring straight roads, the 300 mile drive to any forest, cooler temps, or bodies of water besides Lake Mead, the 5 days that we hit 117 degrees last year, the numerous nights in July where it is over 100 degrees at MIDNIGHT, and the fact that backroads are almost non-existent, leaving I-15 as pretty much the only alternative to get into or out of town. Dodging tourists looking at everything on earth except the road really isn't my idea of fun.

Okay, rant over....for now.

WinXP
20th April 2007, 03:10
MrJimi

I am quite different on the views of Fla. I was born an raised New Smyrna Beach, just 15 miles south of Daytona. Lived in the area till I was 27 when we moved to Augusta, Georgia for work. Fla is nice we go there a few times a year to see family. But is not a place I want to live again. Beech Island ,SC is right across the savanah river form Augusta, Ga or 4 miles. The weather here is just as good as Jacksonville area, can ride year round. But we have no rust from salt in the air from ocean breeze. An never salt the roads around here should it snow which may happen once every 7 to 8 years an only last for a day if lucky. No mosquito or sand nat, got to love them little buggers, LOL.

weather
http://www.wunderground.com/US/GA/Augusta.html

MDT
20th April 2007, 03:14
Grew up in Denver, lived on the front range all my life.
We only have to deal with 2 seasons here, summer and winter; and they come and go whenever they please.
I'll stay here.

jrclark19
20th April 2007, 03:30
I would like to own a second home some where else that I could travel to, maybe the East coast but I couldn't live any where other than Auburn, CA

smoke
20th April 2007, 04:03
Been in SwVa most of my life. I lived in Knoxville for about 3 yrs in the early 90's, Blacksburg during college and DC for a year after college. I have visited a few places in different seasons. But I really can't see myself living anywhere else.

I get 4 great seasons, each with their own pros and cons (both of which I can deal with), live in the Appy mtns with great friends, family, neighbors and seclusion, low to non-existent crime rate. Wife and I can take off for a week or weekend, leave the doors unlocked, ask the nearest neighbor to walk and feed the dogs and never worry for a minute. Don't even lock the doors when we leave for work. no need.

I voted yes and I mean it, I love it here. The one and only thing I would wish for, is what I have now minus the 2-3 months I can't ride, but why f*%k with a great thing.

This small sample is about a mile from the house:
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/DSC02939.JPG

Nicco61
20th April 2007, 04:05
Asia Rocks!!!!!

66ssman
20th April 2007, 04:26
I'd have to think about it. I grew up in N.E. Missouri. My wife and I have lived in Oklahoma for the past 8 years. Jobs brought us here after the hometown manufacturer we worked for for 16 years sold out.
I've been to pretty much every part of this state. Oklahoma claims they have the most varied landscape of any state in the union, and I'm starting to believe it. "Green Country" in the northeast section, the tallest mountains between the Rockies and East Coast ranges in the southeast corner. Rolling prairies and grasslands, and everything from sand dunes to forest.
I've seen a lot of incredible scenery during my travels, and I find I like the oceans about as much as the mountains. A visit to Big Sky country always brings a smile, and a visit to the Big Apple, or other cities reminds me what a diverse people we are. I look forward to the change of seasons. In the summer when it's 100+ out, I can't wait for it to get cooler. In the winter when the snow and ice can't seem to leave, I can't wait for warmer weather. WTF, I'm probably not much different than most XLF'rs here.
:rolleyes:

XL O.C.D.
20th April 2007, 05:12
WTF IS WRONG WITH ME??? I'm happy in NE Ohio! :doh I moved back 'home' from SW Florida, aka paradise w/ lots of traffic, illegal immigrants, and hurricanes. I moved back to OH for my son, specifically for the better public schools, family, and lifestyle/values. Florida was awesome, and I had a great time there. But being back here makes me not want to leave - except for Jan-March.

racerwill
20th April 2007, 05:17
I like living in New England.... lots of history, lots of cool people.....

I liked Huntsville too.... and Omaha... and Texas rocks.... but Ma is where my roots are....

Ww

Mr Jimi
20th April 2007, 06:23
if i could, ide be in florida. maybe Mr.Jimi's neighbor:chtwo

Come on down and my name is not Bob Barker :shhhh

sprtrjl
20th April 2007, 06:37
WTF! I live in Ohio, I hate the weather! Oh wait it just changed again! I love the weat.... no it just dropped 30 f'n degrees. Ok, so now it is cold/ sunny and -/+ ? degrees. I want /need to move to Arizona/San Df'n eigo, SOME PLACE WHERE IT IS AT least a normal temp in one f'n day!!!! Ok I'm taking the blue pill and going to bed!!!!!

Screw Loose Dan
20th April 2007, 07:00
On one hand I love the changes in seasons that Pennsylvania offers. But, I also hate the changes in seasons (damn snow earlier this week). I also have a pretty decent career where I'm at right now. But I'm single and the work I do could be done anywhere I suppose (Network Engineer). I've been yearning to move but not for any logical reason. Thinking about North Carolina (southern girls...hmmm), or Austin, TX.

tall1
20th April 2007, 09:29
I lived in Alaska for over 30 years then moved to Arizona. Polar opposites for sure! Got real tired of long cold winters and little sun, though Summers were what you lived for and enjoyed with gusto. Now, living in AZ can get a little hot in the Summer, for sure, but the rest of the year is great 90% of the time and great for riding. If the heat gets too bothersome you just head up to the pine country of Flag or the Rim and have a good time. Great Colorado riding is only 8 hrs away too.:tour I'm liking it:banana

Sandman
20th April 2007, 10:13
Love where I live, I get to ride year round! I also love the beaches, just minutes away. I am probably going to move next year, looking for a house directly on the beach. The salt air can be rough on the bike...but that is a good excuse to get a new one every so often! :)

khaskins
20th April 2007, 15:41
I've lived all over the U.S. Former army brat, then joined myself when I graduated H.S. Moved back to California when I got out in 1980. I'm getting tired of the rat race. Thinking of moving.

Places I'd like to live:

Arizona, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, or Texas. Not in order of preference.

My wife is game, wants to move. Just watching the housing market, preparing the condo for sale. Condos are selling pretty good here, but not as good as a few months ago.

loki03xlh
20th April 2007, 15:53
Born and raised in southern hellinois and I don't care for it too much. I think it's time for a change. Jobs suck around here, boring nightlife. Would love to move back to Carbondale area, where I went to school. I keep checking on jobs there. If not that, maybe a move to the city is in line. Something different.

Jt1200r
20th April 2007, 16:04
lived in Md all my life. tired of the cold and snow.when i retire in 6 yrs wife and i will be heading south. probably Fla

kiltbill
20th April 2007, 19:31
Norway, that sounds real pretty, Post some pictures, please
I would like to live where KiltBill lives with our weather. May not happen in my lifetime:doh

:roflblack taking the Global Waming into account you never know Jim...:p

Am I happy where I live...

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b226/kiltbill1/lochtummel.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b226/kiltbill1/LochshielGlefinnan.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b226/kiltbill1/fa9e06e0.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b226/kiltbill1/tiree_open20harbour03.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b226/kiltbill1/FASKALLY.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b226/kiltbill1/invernesssunset.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b226/kiltbill1/wadesroad.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b226/kiltbill1/EileanDonanCastle.jpg

I guess the answer would be an emphatic yes... Great scenery, great roads, good schooling, free doctor and hospital care, very little crime (Up here in the HIghlands anyway) and the places in the above pictures are less than a 3 hour ride away. Yes I kinda like it...:D

Come and Visit Jim....:tour

H34TH3N
20th April 2007, 19:41
Ive lived in az, NM, and spent time in nearly all of the southwestern states, now i live here in so-cal where i was born and raised till i was around 12...all i can say is that for me, this place is literally hell on earth anymore. Decent weather[although i prefer the heat in az] but the most disgusting, mean, self centered, narcissistic, gibberish speaking, scumbags on the planet live here. What isnt starbucks sippin, blackberry while drivin jerkoffs, is foreign born, crap english speaking rude subhumans. IM semi-retiring Back in PHX in about 3 or 4 years and i just hope i dont kill anyone till then....I hope this place breaks off into the ocean and takes mexico with it....

there......i feel better...lol....

Shu
20th April 2007, 20:04
Born and raised in west central Illinois. Spent a few great years of my youth at Lake of the Ozarks. But back in 1994, my entire family (two brothers and my parents) moved to Phoenix. Since then I have not been very happy here in Illinois. My wife loves wc Illinois and our home out in the country, but there isn't a single day that I don't wish and pray that we lived in Phoenix. I go out there several times a year and everytime I leave, it feels like I am leaving home. Family is so important. I wish my daughter was being raised with a closer relationship to her grandma, grandpa and uncles. Someday I would love to call the valley of the sun "our home". But today it is only a dream.

Clarinetcat
20th April 2007, 20:08

I think I like Maine because it looks so much like these pictures Bill posted of Scotland.
(With the exception of castles...)

I think I could live in Scotland and be quite happy... thanks as always for sharing pictures of your world, Bill. :o

Shu
20th April 2007, 20:27
My wife doesn't want to move anywhere unless it's by her family (west-central Illinois)

What's a guy to do? :banasad

hey Ole, Talk my wife into leaving WC IL for Phoenix and I'll make you a heck of deal on my house;) New in 2002, upstairs: 3BR, 2 bath, large living room, large kitchen, laundry room. Down: basement is all drywalled and ready for paint. 1 BR 1/2 Bath, HUGE living room (wired for home theater) and a very large workshop/storage area. Out int he country, great school system and It's only a 30 to 45 minute ride from your wife's family....help a brother out:smoke

kiltbill
20th April 2007, 20:33
I think I like Maine because it looks so much like these pictures Bill posted of Scotland.
(With the exception of castles...)

I think I could live in Scotland and be quite happy... thanks as always for sharing pictures of your world, Bill. :o

I guess it's the diversity of scenery that I love. It also feels good that by just riding a hundred miles I can be in the middle of nowhere, without another human for miles and 100 miles or so in the opposite direction I can be in the bustling Capital of Scotland (Edinburgh)

People still smile and chat, the air is good and this wee country has such a rich History...

Did I mention that we make Whisky ???

;)

khaskins
20th April 2007, 20:39
Ive lived in az, NM, and spent time in nearly all of the southwestern states, now i live here in so-cal where i was born and raised till i was around 12...all i can say is that for me, this place is literally hell on earth anymore. Decent weather[although i prefer the heat in az] but the most disgusting, mean, self centered, narcissistic, gibberish speaking, scumbags on the planet live here. What isnt starbucks sippin, blackberry while drivin jerkoffs, is foreign born, crap english speaking rude subhumans. IM semi-retiring Back in PHX in about 3 or 4 years and i just hope i dont kill anyone till then....I hope this place breaks off into the ocean and takes mexico with it....

there......i feel better...lol....

Amen, that's why I want to move:laugh

cheyenne71597
20th April 2007, 21:29
I was raised in Miami, FL and have lived in North and Central Florida. Family wants me to move back but I have no desire to.

I now live in Middle Tennessee (loooong story) and I like it. I do miss the beach.

If I did not have to work I would live on the beach somewhere! Hawaii sounds good.

:tour

DC in PHX
20th April 2007, 22:06
Amen, that's why I want to move:laugh

I made my escape from LA 20 years ago..:banadanc
DC

Ole
20th April 2007, 22:24
hey Ole, Talk my wife into leaving WC IL for Phoenix and I'll make you a heck of deal on my house;) New in 2002, upstairs: 3BR, 2 bath, large living room, large kitchen, laundry room. Down: basement is all drywalled and ready for paint. 1 BR 1/2 Bath, HUGE living room (wired for home theater) and a very large workshop/storage area. Out int he country, great school system and It's only a 30 to 45 minute ride from your wife's family....help a brother out:smoke

Tell you what...you help me find a job and I'll help you convince your wife about Pheonix. :banana

paxman1
20th April 2007, 22:25
:roflblack taking the Global Waming into account you never know Jim...:p

Am I happy where I live...

I guess the answer would be an emphatic yes... Great scenery, great roads, good schooling, free doctor and hospital care, very little crime (Up here in the HIghlands anyway) and the places in the above pictures are less than a 3 hour ride away. Yes I kinda like it...:D

Come and Visit Jim....:tour

That place looks beautiful:D It is so green and open spaces. I live in the southwest where everything is dead looking, people live atop of one another, they don't smile, Prices of everything out of control and too many straight roads.........................:doh

You live in a great looking place, very diverse.

Mark :)

Mr Jimi
20th April 2007, 22:41
KiltBill sells post cards in his spare time and buys a new bike everyother year with the profits, contact him for a xlf discount :doh

kiltbill
20th April 2007, 23:25
KiltBill sells post cards in his spare time and buys a new bike everyother year with the profits, contact him for a xlf discount :doh

:roflblack

Damn fine idea Mr J...:D

sportysrock
21st April 2007, 00:17
I voted no because I grew up here, and there is very limited opportunity. Sure the unemployment rate is low, but the job selection is poor. The weather is only good for a short part of the year. It takes forever to warm up and then it seems like it is hot all at once - Hazy Hot and Humid - which drains the get up and go out of you.

I have complained to my wife enough about it. She insists her 5 year plan includes moving. So does mine, before 5 years, maybe to the Carolinas.

Boondocs
21st April 2007, 02:38
Grew up in New Jersey. Moved to the Poconos in 87 and been thinking about moving down south, we're thinking about Roanoke or Charlotte. Have three kids oldest being 12 so we would like to do the move before she turns 15ish. Poconos are nice just winters are too long.

883rnh
22nd April 2007, 05:31
I live in NH. I am fed up with the winters here. Maybe next winter or the winter after at the latest I will be living in southern GA, Southern AL or Panhandle of Florida area.

Mountain Man
22nd April 2007, 07:31
I've lived in Colorado Springs for 15 years and I feel the need to move to a warmer location. Colorado is very beautiful and has wonderful, twisty canyon rides, but I'm growing tired of the unpredicable weather and cold winters. I'd like to follow my co-worker to Little Rock (she is trying to find me a job, plus she is very hot, probably too hot for me). I guess few people are truely happy where they live.

Sporting Lad
22nd April 2007, 09:02
I like living on our Big Island, but urban sprawl is creeping in. We used to live on the edge of wilderness and still mostly do, but the town's getting more developed-every week a new subdivision or condo mondo. More and more cars and trucks on the roads. Even a Wallyworld now.

I'd like to live in a place where it's warm and sunny in the day year round,
and it only rains at night to keep everything nice and green. And lots and lots of
twisty country roads with smooth pavement, mountain scenery, and few cars.
Every so often a village with a good pub. Somebody told me I'd like
New Zealand. :wonderlan

bplinson
22nd April 2007, 09:10
I love living in Germany but don't know how much longer I will. The Euro is getting so strong that it may get to a point where I can not afford to shop anywhere but on the Army bases.

Example: My landlord has not raised my rent since I moved into my house in 2000. The rent is 925 Euro a month. The the Euro started in 2002, 925 Euro was about $800. Now my rent is $1200.00!!!

There is a good chance that my organization will move to Vilseck in a few years. I sure hope they do because then I will get a housing allowance. I do not get housing allowance right now because I was an "Overseas Hire". Like that makes a lot of sense.

AKsavage
22nd April 2007, 09:12
Born and raised here in the great state of Alaska. If you don't like the weather wait 15 minutes. The only reason I've ever considered moving is that the local politics suck, but that's probably true anywhere you go. Besides it's home, and in the summer we get like 20 hours of daylight out of 24. :banana Ask anybody whose been here, Alaska rocks.:banadanc

wrenchbender
22nd April 2007, 09:18
Living here in Korea is cool. Lots a nice scenery except in the spring when EVERYBODY spreads chicken, cow and hog shit in the rice paddys getting ready for the planting. This is over on the east coast of Korea outside of Sokcho and Soraksan national park.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/mojorichie/family/DSCF2189.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/mojorichie/family/columbus20056.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/mojorichie/family/DSCF2191.jpg

1200custom
22nd April 2007, 10:58
im happy here in good ol' new zealand

NoTrace34
16th May 2007, 22:10
Id rather be in Savannah, GA ...Tybee Island, GA or Charleston SC.
Ive lived in the Tidewater area of VA most of my life and it just has no flavor of its own. Ive done lots of work in GA and SC and I love the way things are a few notches slower down there. Most of the people are real nice and there is soooo much to see and do. Lots of nice little pubs with good bands outside. Also very biker friendly .

Sportster Sam
16th May 2007, 22:26
I live in Lincoln, Nebraska and hate it. It gets too cold in the winter, state politics here suck big time, and we have one of the highest gasoline taxes in the country. My wife and I intended to move to Arizona years ago but both my kids have settled down here and the wife doesn't want to be too far from the grandchildren.

Gone
16th May 2007, 22:28
I live in NH. I am fed up with the winters here. Maybe next winter or the winter after at the latest I will be living in southern GA, Southern AL or Panhandle of Florida area.

Gotta say I enjoy the mild winters and the pleasant falls and springs, but summers are down right miserable. Hot and muggy!

I would love to try out Cali, with the LOW HUMIDITY and the perfect ridin weather most of the year!

SportyJoe
16th May 2007, 22:36
I was born I Colorado, grew up (till age 12) in Cheyenne Wyoming, I live in Dallas Texas now, and have lived in Texas (Dallas, San Antonio) ever since age 12. I really miss the mountains, the camping, the Skiing, but to be honest, I dont miss the cold one bit!! it may be 110 in the shade here durring the summer here, but IMHO thats much better than 3 feet of snow, 15 below zero, and 20 mile an hour wind that blows constantly (Winters in Cheyenne) YEa I love Texas... Ive traveled too or through almost all 50 states.. (well maybe only 10 or 15 of them lol) been to Canada Twice (Vancouver Island, Toronto)(both extremely cool places)... Right now if I had to move, I think Id pick Austrailia (the closest weather to Texas) but then again I have recently considered moving back to Colorado to be nearer to my Parents as they get older. I think Id be there now if I could figure out how to make a good living in the area they live (not really interested in being a Correctional Officer..lol)(the main employer in their area)... I guess I'll just hang out here in Texas for a while...it's my home!

gammaqueen
16th May 2007, 22:58
I love North Carolina. Mild weather, I rode all winter even though we do get some cold. I like the South. I would be happy anywhere in the South. The people are friendly and the weather is nice.

old head
16th May 2007, 23:14
I too have lived in many states and few countries, Dad was in the military. My favorite place is Flagstaff and a very close second is Chattanooga.

Hanoverfiste
16th May 2007, 23:47
I hate the City, the fake neighbours with thier noses in the air, I hate all the Fee's, I hate the by law enforment officers , I do Love my house, just wish iit were located 20 minutes west , east or north, preferablly north.. I grew up in a town of 1200, been living in Barrie now for 3 years, and still hate it, cant seem to adapt to the fake city ways....i never will.. were here for a few more years.... ugh.

Reaper6
16th May 2007, 23:53
I've lived in a lot of different places but I've been here in Northwest Illinois the longest, (20 years). I love living here. My house is in a rural area yet I'm only about 1-1/2 hours from Chicago. So when I get bored I head into the city.

There are many places I hope to visit some day, but for me I'm very content.

raysheen
17th May 2007, 00:12
I literally have a countdown going until we can move from this place...we have always known it was temporary though so it wasn't really a surprise to us since we have always known that we want to live back home in ME.

Where I currently live (Rochester, NY)

http://www.rochesterhomepage.net/media/jpg/shootingwideshot2007-04-09-1176139956.jpg
http://www.infiltration.org/gallery/roch-entrance2.jpg
http://www.rocpic.com/pod/pod101504.jpg

Home in Maine:

http://lunksooscamps.com/mt-katahdin.jpg
http://www.wam.umd.edu/~hennlec/Maine_2004/Maine%202004%20031.JPG
http://www.wam.umd.edu/~hennlec/Maine_2004/Maine%202004%20011.JPG
http://www.wam.umd.edu/~hennlec/Maine_2004/Maine%202004%20012.JPG
http://www.wam.umd.edu/~hennlec/Maine_2004/Maine%202004%20002.JPG

atasty39
21st May 2007, 11:29
I voted No, I don't like living 5 mins South of San Diego in National City. I see pix of Scotland, Norway, Maine, and all the other places everyone here is from, and hear what it is like to live in areas without millions of people and wonder if I could be happy with 4 seasons, lots less diversity, a lower wage, slower way of life, etc. It seems to me that everywhere else offers something I miss here. What I am finding out is that for all my secret dreams of moving and complaints about big city life, it's hard to beat the weather and amenities offered here. Even if everything costs a lot. I will probably only leave if I get divorced which is not in our plans! What I will continue to do is enjoy other parts of the world through the pix and conversations we have here on the XL Forum. I love this place!!!!

kiltbill
23rd May 2007, 01:48
I voted No, I don't like living 5 mins South of San Diego in National City.

I see pix of Scotland, Norway, Maine, and all the other places everyone here is from, and hear what it is like to live in areas without millions of people and wonder if I could be happy with 4 seasons, lots less diversity, a lower wage, slower way of life, etc. It seems to me that everywhere else offers something I miss here.

What I am finding out is that for all my secret dreams of moving and complaints about big city life, it's hard to beat the weather and amenities offered here. Even if everything costs a lot.

I will probably only leave if I get divorced which is not in our plans!

What I will continue to do is enjoy other parts of the world through the pix and conversations we have here on the XL Forum.

I love this place!!!!

Cities are okay, but you often find that people don't actually use the amenities and entertainment that's right on their doorstep...

It is great sharing the world with like minded souls though...

Nicely put...

kb

kiltbill
23rd May 2007, 01:53
Cities are okay, but you often find that people don't actually use the amenities and entertainment that's right on their doorstep...

It is great sharing the world with like minded souls though...

Nicely put...

kb

But I do live in the greatest country on earth...:p

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b226/kiltbill1/aaaaa-1.jpg

kb

KC_Sporty_Gal
23rd May 2007, 01:58
I was thinking of moving to Phoenix until my parents decided to relocate out to where I am.

t.c. Johnson
8th November 2008, 04:36
I like New Jersey. I don't expect much.

luckyramu
8th November 2008, 04:43
I live in southern california. Ive lived in Massachusettes and Wilmington NC. I love southern cal, but I live in the high desert. we have strong winds, which is ok, but the dust storms drive me nuts. Its gets dust everywhere and makes keeping a clean house/car a chore during those times. peace.

mid30
8th November 2008, 05:08
Here in Albuquerque new mexico you can realy ride 10 months out of the year. Here it is november and I am still riding every day. I dont like snow and where I live we get an inch or two a couple times during dec and Jan, maybe feb. If I want winding mountain roads I head 20 min east. If I want the rockies I head 2 hours north. If I want fishing, 20 min to 3 or 4 hours in any direction. States bigges lake is 2 hours south. I could handle living 2 hours south with no snow at all and riding 12 months out of the year but no jobs down that way.

Fourcats
8th November 2008, 05:38
Having lived in Socal mostly but have been all over and then some {driving OTR} I really like it here in SW Washington :clap

donyw
8th November 2008, 07:41
I live on Long Island because of the job. Rude rushed people. Expensive. Crowded. Wanna go back upstate to farm country with open roads, and mountains

stealthammer
10th November 2008, 18:40
I grew up all over Southern California (literally!) always spending anywhere from 5 months to two and a half years in one place, and since then I've lived all over the county, usually for no more than two years. When I got out of the service though, I found and fell in love with Claremont, CA. I stayed there for four years and then began my migratory pattern again, but I ended up coming back to Claremont several more times, and eventually began considering it "where I was from". I've been in Las Vegas for about five years now (but moving to Indy at the end of the month) and this is the longest I've ever stay in one place.

Many of the places that I have lived I expected to hate (New Jersey, Baltimore, Omaha, Brooklyn, Las Vegas...), but I ended up really enjoying them and eventually regretted having to leave. I guess that no matter where I live I find something interesting to do and I enjoy getting to know the people and the local culture. As I've gotten older I have realized that there just aren't many places that I wouldn't be interested in exploring for a couple of years.