PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Jake the Wagon Dog

wagondog
21st April 2007, 16:24
As most of you know much of my life has revolved around dogs. My last Rottie Jake blossomed into the best friend I have ever had even in his four short years on this earth.
Jake was well known to everyone in the neighborhood as well as the local humane society for his charitable work while pulling his little wagon. He would set up outside supermarkets (with permission) and I would solicit folks to purchase dog items in the store which they would deposit in Jake's wagon when leaving, after taking a picture of course. he was especially good with the elderly and the handicapped. He once allowed a little blind girl run her hands over every part of his body with out ever moving a muscle so she could visualize what a massive speciman he was.
The neighborhood Christmas was never complete until Jake made the rounds with his antlers and red nose with the little white dogs in the wagon dressed as elves. On Halloween he was always Superman, cape and all with the little guys as bumble bees.
Without provocation that I saw Jake reached out from his leash on Tuesday night while pulling the wagon and bit a young man in the arm, quite severely. I will never know what made him do it,that although he is an animal, the bite was out of character for him. After tending to the boy and getting aid for him, I slowly walked my beloved Jake home, knowing it was for the last time. Jake was euthanized the following morning by my request.
But for that one bad act, there will never be a better Rottie on this planet and I know that God will overlook that one bad decision he made and reward him for all the joy he brought to people. I love you Jake

Mr Jimi
21st April 2007, 16:29
Our prayers go to your Jake as he has crossed the Rainbow bridge (http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm) be strong
You have lots of friends here
Jim:tour

cjburr
21st April 2007, 16:32
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss, it's amazing how some animals can capture your heart.

fraternally yours, Chris

Big_Baazzoo
21st April 2007, 17:12
I'm very sorry to hear this happen to you, that had to be hard. Jake sounds like he was a great friend.

sportysrock
21st April 2007, 17:20
Wagondog you are a hero. He was a special dog, but you showed extreme courage and personal strength to do what you did. Who knows what may have happened someday.

Edit:
I lost my Golden Retriever the Christmas before last, very suddenly in about a day, and I do sympathize with you. My hero comment could be taken any number of ways, and I do not want to sound uncaring. That's not my intention.

CaptEvo
21st April 2007, 17:36
Wow....thats a real tough story.....my condolences. Do you have any pics of Jake doing his reindeer or superman thing? You made the right call if it helps.

(edit: just saw tha avatar..very cool)

xena
21st April 2007, 17:39
Jerry I am so sorry to hear this. I agree, this
must have been very difficult for you to do.
I am an animal lover so I know it would be extremely
hard for me. I'm sure you are hurting right now so
I want to let you know my thoughts are with you.
Maybe when you feel like it, you can post up some
photos of him in this thread. He sounds like he was
a wonderful companion to you. Take it easy and
don't think too much. My condolences to you and
your family.

wagondog
21st April 2007, 17:41
This was my best friend

wagondog
21st April 2007, 17:47
Jerry I am so sorry to hear this. I agree, this
must have been very difficult for you to do.
I am an animal lover so I know it would be extremely
hard for me. I'm sure you are hurting right now so
I want to let you know my thoughts are with you.
Maybe when you feel like it, you can post up some
photos of him in this thread. He sounds like he was
a wonderful companion to you. Take it easy and
don't think too much. My condolences to you and
your family.

Xena
Thanks so much for those words, they truly help.
Jake was so very much the ultimate dog, he knew red lights from green, where curb cuts where and where their were none. he would let the little dogs eat kibble from his bowl before he would eat. The little dogs would give him pedicures as we all watched Animal Planet. My tears won't stop, thanks for your words
Jerry

whispanic
21st April 2007, 18:00
Thats a tough deal, but I respect your foresight in this situation.

RIP Jake

tcspannerwrench
21st April 2007, 20:36
sad as it is i respect your disision as well i love my dog and hope i dont have to go through what you and jake did

Scooter_Trash
21st April 2007, 20:43
Jerry, sorry to hear about Jake. Sounds like you did what you needed to do.

Gone
21st April 2007, 20:56
Man i can not imagine having to make that decision, you did the right thing for all.
my condolences....

Sandman
21st April 2007, 20:59
Truly sorry for your loss. Animals in a lot of ways can be better than people...unconditional love.