PDA

View Full Version : which new tire

pperrone
25th April 2007, 05:17
it's time for new tires! running stock dunlop d401 on my '04 sporty. i am on my second rear tire. it's got over 10,000mi on it. my front has more than what i've seen, over 21,000mi. with that said, getting that much life out of my tires not real sure if i want to change brand. i have read threads promoting the metzler 880, and have heard that avons are super smooth.
what do i do?:frownthre

Turbota
25th April 2007, 06:23
For the 04-07 rubber mount Sportys, the stock rear tire is a 150 / 80-16 with a 3.00” x 16” wheel

A slightly wider 160 / 80-16 tire can also be used on the stock 3.00” x 16” wheel (Plus1)

If you decide to "Plus 1", the only 160 / 80-16 tires avail that I am aware of are the brands shown below:

1. Dunlop Elite 3

2. Metzler ME 880

3. Avon AM42 Venom

Just my opinion, but the Metzlers are about the best overall tire for the money.

ReddTigger
25th April 2007, 06:50
I've stuck with the Metzlers.. They're a great tire. Super sticky, and decent mileage...

I like the Metzlers due to this fact. They only make Motorcycle Tires. Period. They don't make golfballs, or badmitten sets. There is something to be said about a company that only does 1 thing... and they've been doing it for a long time... (earliest Racing win 1925)

I can not speak for the Avon's. They have been around for a long time, and a lot of people like em.. I know they are owned by cooper tire and rubber co, and they also own Mickey Thompson. I'm sure someone will chime in on how the like the avon.

pperrone
25th April 2007, 06:54
will i get the same millage that i get on the dunlops though?

hdmc_ru2
25th April 2007, 06:58
Michelin Commander will likely be the new tires that will come on the Sportsters...

http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/front/affich.jsp?codeRubrique=2092004103951&lang=EN

ReddTigger
25th April 2007, 06:58
Nope !

But riding a motorcycle shouldn't be about mileage..

Considering that the TIRE is the only thing contacting the ground, and you only have 2, I'd want the best (in my opinion) that I can afford.....

I had the dunflops, and yeah you can get great mileage, but once I switched to the Metzlers, I knew that I went to the right direction.. Considering that the tires are about 100 bucks, it's cheap insurance, even if I get a few thousand less miles...

biknut
25th April 2007, 07:18
will i get the same millage that i get on the dunlops though?

D401 tires wear like iron. I doubt any other tire will last as long, except a
D402.

Gone
25th April 2007, 07:48
So, we see lots of reports of the stock Dunflops getting 10,000-12,000 miles on the rear and 20,000+ on the front.
What kind of mileage are the ME880's getting?

pperrone
25th April 2007, 23:52
[QUOTE=ReddTigger;708866]Nope !

But riding a motorcycle shouldn't be about mileage..

Considering that the TIRE is the only thing contacting the ground, and you only have 2, I'd want the best (in my opinion) that I can afford.....QUOTE]

I agree to a certain point. I want the best of both worlds. Since i had great luck with getting high millage on the dunlops, i should probably just stick with them. My concideration for long lasting tires comes to $$$$ I don't want nor can afford to buy new tires every 5-6k miles.

I need something that rides good for me, not very aggressive, will last a good while, and won't break my wallet! When you've got to scrape change to get 3.50 of gas to get home from work, price means everything!!!!!!!!!!:(

rider1951
26th April 2007, 00:53
I only got 8,300 miles out of the stock Dunlop front tire. The ME880 has over 7,000 miles on it and it looks great. I did get about 12,000 miles out of the stock rear tire.

I just got my 19" wheel so I'm looking for a new tire. Thinking about trying the ME33 laser. Any thoughts about that tire?

Bruce
26th April 2007, 01:59
I must be doing something wrong, I only got 6500 miles on my Dunlaps, Front and rear,but I do live here in WV and love to ride the twistes. Just put metz. 880's on, but haven't had a chance to burn the knobbes off. I hope there as good as everyone says.

ReddTigger
26th April 2007, 03:37
I've got over 7,000 on my metzler rear,
When I got the bike(7,500 miles ago) the front was a brand new Dunflop,
I have to change out my front tire this week, side walls are cracking..

AKsavage
26th April 2007, 04:58
Replaced rear stock dunlop around 6300 miles. The front stocker will need to be changed soon 7800+ miles currently. The metzler sounds like a good tire. I replaced the rear with another dunlop.

therealwormey
26th April 2007, 05:48
sorta depends on how you ride as to what tire you want,metz and avons are both good,i run both,seems like a little softer compound so they stick better but that explains the mileage loss,ppl say run about 49-51 lbs in the metz and theyll get better mileage but then they dont ride as good,so i backed off the pressure,who cares if they last forever if they ride like shyt,i'm a little more drawn to the avons,,its like everthing else,oil,gas,coffee,beer,,,personal preference,,trial and error,,go thru a couple different sets and form your own opine

pperrone
29th April 2007, 06:06
well after weighing all the options, i went with th edunlops. i had to do it quickly though, so i brought it to a stealer. the tires cost more, and installation could be cheaper at a custum shop, but the service is better. it turns out that i also have a broken rear axel. they tell me it looks like someone might have cut the end off. they say the end was broken so you can't put the cotter pin in to keep the nut from turning off. so know the 2 hour job won't be done til at least the middle of the week, 'cause they didn't have one in stock. the good thing is they aren't going to charge me anymore service to put the new axel on.
so we'll see!

Gone
29th April 2007, 07:17
I just got my 19" wheel so I'm looking for a new tire. Thinking about trying the ME33 laser. Any thoughts about that tire?

The Laser is darn close to the "perfect" rain tire and has a loyal following for that, worldwide. Living in Beaverton, that might have some importance for you. Once upon a time I had a brand new Laser on my FJ1100 and rode up to Mt. St. Helens. I started back down about dark. A heavy rainstorm moved in before I got to Randle and I had to hit the train tracks in Elbe in the middle of the downpour. The tracks at Elbe cross in the middle of a curve, at an angle to the road. They also used to have an oversized gap between rail and pavement (that was fixed after two bikers went down hard on dry pavement two years ago). I slowed and straightened as best I could, but was going a bit faster than I should have. The front tire slipped and went instantly lock to lock at each rail, but both times it contacted pavement the bike immediately straightened out - it was almost like magic. The original Bridgestone would have had me in the weeds on the first rail.