PDA

View Full Version : The best way to lower a sportster?

E00i3
2nd December 2004, 05:01
What is the best option out there for lowering a Sporty? I have a 03 883, and would like to lower the front and rear. What advantages are there to lowering a bike and what are the disadvantages? I found these on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&tc=photo&rd=1&item=4506557237&category=35569
Is this a good option?

Thanks for your help!

Eddie [03' 883 - Stage 1]
http://www.sportster.org/thebikes/images/e00i3-1957-1.jpg

txsporty
2nd December 2004, 05:21
E00i3

Welcome to the Forum!! :D

No, that not a good option!! Shock are the Best way to go!!!
Progressive makes some great Shocks, I have some 412's on my '03..
You can see my bike in the Gallery.. Haven't figured out how get them here yet!!! :frownthre

willprevale
2nd December 2004, 10:26
No, that not a good option!! Shock are the Best way to go!!!

If you're gonna mess with the geometry, do it right.

missyd
2nd December 2004, 11:35
There is always a change of geometry if lowering the bike (or adding height).
But some geometry change may be positive and other not.
I added 2" at the shock and -1" at the front. This was OK. :D
Only the wide bar made my bike nervous .... ;)

Kent
2nd December 2004, 14:53
Ugh..
Stay far away from those things.
Look around.
I picked up a set of Pregressive 412 11.5" shocks for $75 off of a lister a while back. Works much better.

BEST way is shorter shocks + Shorter springs in the front.
See how you like it though. I ended up stopping after the new shocks as I liked how the bike handled. YMMV

seajay
2nd December 2004, 18:22
I put Progressive 412 11" shocks on the rear, and White Bros. 2" lowering kit on the front. It handles way better than stock.

skooter
7th December 2004, 19:35
Yup I agree. I've got the 11" progressives on my bike too. I didn't lower the front because I like the raked back look. I have a picture of the bike on my profile. Just click on SPONGE BOB and it will take you there. I also put a badlander seat on my bike and this helped lower it quite a bit too by taking away much of the padding that is there on the original seat. Remember the shock travel is greatly reduced on the shorter shocks and the ride is harder but the handling improves tremendously. Be careful about installing the 10" shocks the frame has a notch in it under the oil tank so the belt will clear it the lower you go the closer the belt gaurd gets to hitting the top of the notch.

The stock shock length is 13.5 inches so if you put on 11 inch shocks and take 1 inch out of the seat height than you have lowered the back of the bike about 3 1/2 inches. That aught to be plenty. A rear lowering kit will only lower your bike about 1 1/2 inches at best.

gwcrim
7th December 2004, 19:59
It's free to loosen the triple clamp and drop them down the fork tubes. You can easily lose an inch that way. And no, it won't hurt the handling.

skooter
8th December 2004, 02:04
gwcrim is right. Maybe I lost the focus. If your looking for the cheapest way to lower your bike than the front can be lowered a bit by loosening the triple tree clamps just like gwcrim says and the lowering kit that you found on e-bay which you can buy at any harley or custom bike shop is much cheaper than buying new shocks it is just that you won't be able to lower it as much.

Good Luck

toe
8th December 2004, 08:31
Just eat alot of your favorite desserts.................

:p

skooter
8th December 2004, 14:06
:yikes :lolsign :laugh :clap :rolllaugh

gordy
8th December 2004, 14:45
those lowering kits (white Bros do them) will drop the rear an inch, know quite a few people using them mainly on XL customs and nobody seems to have had a problem - couple of very high mileage bikes as well.

If you fancy them give em a go cheaper than a new set of shocks thats for sure.

Bagman
14th December 2004, 06:43
Does any one know the length of the stock fork springs on the 05 Custom. I bought the White Brothers progressive lowering kit to go with the 11" Progressive shocks but don't feel like completely dismantling my forks to replace the dampener spring/spacer etc. I was thinking of just using the progressive spring from the kit and decide if I want to lower the front, but want to make sure it's a straight swap before I pull the stock springs out.

Thanks
Bagman

E00i3
14th December 2004, 21:53
Thanks for all of your advice... I think I will go with ebay option for now... I will just lower the rear and see how that feels and then if I need to lower the front using GWCRIM's suggestion...

I am looking for the cheapest way to lower my bike!

Thanks again!! I will post pics once i have lowered it.

Thanks!

whiffy
14th December 2004, 22:43
Hey, I'll swap my hugger front end for your front end....
Distance may be the main problem.... :frownthre

Whiifi

seajay
15th December 2004, 12:53
Here is my '04 with 11" 412 progressives on the rear and White Bros. 2" lowering kit on the front

E00i3
17th December 2004, 02:08
That is the look I am going for!!! Thanks... for showing your bike. Now to find some 412's at a good price....

txsporty
18th December 2004, 03:09
E00i3

Check out EASTERN PERFORMANCE CYCLES on eBay, that where I got my 412's.. Good price, Good people to deal with!!! I've bought quite a few things from them and have Never had a Problem!!!

04newhog
18th December 2004, 22:12
I agree txsporty. I just bought some 11.5" progressive 412's from Eastern Performance Cycle about 2 weeks ago. I had them in like 3 days. They are excellant to do business with.

HrdlyDangrs
18th December 2004, 22:40
Just realize that you're not going to be able to dive into those curves like you used to without the pipes scraping the blacktop. You'll learn real quick how far you can lean it over!! Hrdly

HHahn001
19th December 2004, 02:48
If anyones interested, I have the 11.5 412's with the White Bros rear kit. I also have the White Bros front and a 4 degree rake in the trees also. The belt guard did hit the frame after install and it contoured rather nicely and didnt notice it for a month after the install. I also decided to shorten my stand by about an inch.The stand still scrapes in tight turns as do the pipes on the right. Scares the crap out of my wife...hehehe. You can see the pics in the gallery :smoke

E00i3
19th December 2004, 09:01
Yeah I found the auctions that Eastern has up. Great prices... I just don't know what size i should go for... I don't really know what is on my Sporty now. I plan to do some 2up riding. If I go with 11's will the fender and the tire rub? I currently have a bobtail fender which i am going to replace with the original rear fender.

Ed

HHahn001
19th December 2004, 13:16
Mine does on occasion(2 up only). I put a softail fender on but I dont know if the stock has any more clearance.

E00i3
20th December 2004, 21:48
I just won a pair of Harley Davidson Shocks lowering shocks. I got them for $137. How do these compare to progressives? I have a bobtail fender on mine at the moment, so I think these will do just fine for 2up riding...

I will post pictures when I get them installed.

Gyahmers
4th January 2005, 00:58
Just eat alot of your favorite desserts.................

:p
I don't have that problem at 220 lbs. My fat a$$ pushes my shocks to the limit as it is...:laugh

Benetampa
4th January 2005, 01:54
I've been interested in shortening my stock shocks. "shorties for sporties" from MB Products, has been advertised in AmericanIron for years. their site is www.skullenterprises.com. Scroll down to MBProducts. Has anyone had any success with them? Its a great price but I wonder about the integrity of modified stockers.

flathead45
4th January 2005, 01:58
well I must say its a very nice looking set of shocks http://www.harleydavidsonbikers.com/forums/images/smilies/doh.gif oops theres only one isnt there

http://www.skullenterprises.com/images/MB_Products/welcom14.jpg

txsporty
4th January 2005, 02:06
I've got Progressive 412's and haven't had any problems bottoming out!!!! I'm about 240lb!!!! :yikes

I like those Shocks Flathead!!!!

:spineyes :spineyes

Gyahmers
4th January 2005, 02:15
I've got Progressive 412's and haven't had any problems bottoming out!!!! I'm about 240lb!!!! :yikes

I like those Shocks Flathead!!!!

:spineyes :spineyes
I ordered a set of the Prgressive 412's yesterday from Eastern Performance and that makes me feel good that you don't bottom out with them.

For those interested total price (In the U.S.) including shipping is $183.95.

Moved On
4th January 2005, 02:28
I bought a Hugger ;)

Gary

txsporty
4th January 2005, 02:34
I ordered a set of the Prgressive 412's yesterday from Eastern Performance and that makes me feel good that you don't bottom out with them.

For those interested total price (In the U.S.) including shipping is $183.95.

That's who I got Mine From!!! Great people to Deal with!!! I've bought a bunch of stuff from Them!!! :D

I have my Shocks set at the highest setting for my BIG :censor :yikes

Gyahmers
4th January 2005, 02:52
That's who I got Mine From!!! Great people to Deal with!!! I've bought a bunch of stuff from Them!!! :D

I have my Shocks set at the highest setting for my BIG :censor :yikes
Well I'm DOWN to 220 now, so when they arrive I'll see how they feel at the different settings.

And thanks txsporty, I'm happy to hear positive feedback. I've seen their stuff on ebay for over a year now but this is the first time I ordered from them. They have some really good prices!!!

74FeHeadXLH
4th January 2005, 04:48
Also if cost is a concern..I recently lowered my '74 cheaply by aquiring a set of stock shocks a friend took off his new '04 FXWG and gave 'em to me (that's cheap), and if I'm not mistaken they are 11.5" . And loosened the trees and slid the tubes down a bit till it was level. I since raised front back up for raked back look. Moral is that you can do simple things (even w/ Harley's) cheaply if you get a little creative....Mike