PDA

View Full Version : 40 spoke wheels?

almost.infamous
27th April 2007, 22:17
Has anyone laced there own spokes? i want to poweder coat my rims but i have never laced wheels before. is it difficult?

chrishajer
27th April 2007, 22:35
Lacing is easy, truing is harder and more critical. There was a thread by lagerdrinker a while back on lacing and truing, but I can't find it right now. Maybe you'll have better luck.

--Chris

Joe Dirt
27th April 2007, 22:42
Here is a link that'll give you an idea of how it's done.

http://www.dansmc.com/spokewheels.htm

jrclark19
27th April 2007, 23:03
I've laced up my dirt bike wheels, its not too hard. It took me a couple of tries though. My buddy has a truing stand and that part is a little tricky. Make sure you re-check you spokes after a ride or two they will loosen up.

XLFREAK
29th April 2007, 12:40
Not too difficult to do. The rear is much easier than the front. I have some pics in my gallery. If you have any questions just pm me and ill answer asap. Btw, having the manual and some good pictures of wheel before breaking it down will be alot of help. One bit of advise, work in layers. Do one layer at a time rather than all spokes at once. Its much easier to follow the pattern that way.

dagsportster
29th April 2007, 13:22
The service manual has about 30 pages dedicated to laced wheels, while only two pages for the carb. Lacing isn't so bad, truing can be a pain.

72 Ironhead XLH
29th April 2007, 15:46
Did mine for chroming,just make sure the "offset" is correct.

almost.infamous
30th April 2007, 18:44
Thanx guys for all the info!