PDA

View Full Version : transporting on a flatbed

onomrbill27
28th April 2007, 04:40
I never transported my sportster before and am wondering what is the best way to secure it to a flatbed trailer that I have. I'm going to myrtle beach in a couple of weeks. Driving from the poconos. Long drive. Anyway, I was looking at http://www.tie-down-straps.com/search.php?searchstring=Rail&showresult=true&exp=&resultpage=&categories=&msg=&search=search.php

The smaller one I believe would work. Any other comments, suggestions, opinions? I also have a wheel chock I could use instead of buying the rail kit.

acenorm
28th April 2007, 04:47
A wheel chock will work fine, just make sure it is well secured to the trailer. I use two straps from the handlebars, and I have two straps off the sissy bar, so the rear doesn't move. I have towed from NJ to Daytona and MB this way and no problems.

Best Regards,
Norm

Terp84Alum
28th April 2007, 04:49
Use the chock. Get some strap slings (helping hands) and some ratchet straps and you're good to go.

onomrbill27
28th April 2007, 04:59
I'll bolt the wheel chock to the flatbed securely.

Ok, great! I'll just get some ratchet straps and I'll be good to go.

Thanks for the ultra quick replies.

88inchsporty
29th April 2007, 22:35
As mentioned, wheel chock. I use nylon loops off the triple trees. You want the straps extending outwardly laterally a couple feet each side of the wheel, and in front of the front axle. You will do best with rachet straps, and make sure you compress the forks about 1-2 inches. If a multiple day trip, loosen these and let the suspension relax at each destination overnite. You can run an additional set of straps off the handlebars if you want, but keep these less snug than those off the triple trees. A set of straps in the back is not needed, but I run them myself on longer trips. You can tie off to frame, etc., and have the straps extens out a foot or two.

If the fork suspension is not compressed, you risk bushing damage, and I learned this lesson the hard way.

good luck

88inchsporty
30th April 2007, 20:48
Another thing not to take for granted is the fore and aft position of the chock. Tongue weight of the trailer is critical for stability. Place the chock, so that the trailer tongue weight is at least 10% of the combined weight of trailer and bike. Heavier than 10% is OK, lighter than 10% is risky.

onomrbill27
11th May 2007, 14:01
I decided to just haul the bike in my dakota rather than the trailer. The trailer only has 8 inch wheels on it and I don't feel comfortable taking it that long of trip. Any comments, opinions, or suggestions as to tips or tricks in hauling a bike in a pick up? I will probably use my wheel chock and bolt it to the bed.

ted
11th May 2007, 14:16
In the pickup, you really don't need the chock. Just put the bike straight in and strap it down. I hauled long distances to races in a pickup like that and had zero problems. I always put a strap on the rear to make sure it didn't move sideways.
Ted