PDA

View Full Version : 35mm Forl leg removal

flynhi4u
29th April 2007, 03:59
I am in the process of swapping my 35 mm forks for late style 39m forks. Problem is I cannot get the 35 mm fork legs out of the trees. Read the instructions, lossened pinch bolts(actually removed them), removed top cap bolts, twisted legs, atleast tried, will not budge. Tried spreading the pinch point, nothing. About ready to fire up the torch and heat them up. Just wanted to see if i there was a better way? Thanks.

chrishajer
29th April 2007, 04:28
They are a taper fit in the top tree. Loosen the pinch bolts and loosen the caps a little bit, but do not remove them. Maybe loosen them two turns. Then get a steel hammer and a block of wood. Put the wood on top of the cap, and whack it with the hammer. That will loosen the tube from the top clamp. The taper has it stuck in there. Then remove the cap to get the tubes out of the trees completely. You leave the cap installed so you have something to hit against without damaging the top or threads of the fork tube.

--Chris

83XLX
29th April 2007, 06:13
Exactly what I had to do. Tried a rubber hammer with no luck, and then resorted to a small sledge hammer and wood block. Mine hadn't been removed in 22 years, and it took a few stiff whacks to get them loose.

flynhi4u
29th April 2007, 12:15
Mant thanks guys, I knew someone would know. The thought of leaving the top caps in came to me as I laid in bed trying to go to sleep last night. For all the info I get from this site I don't pay nearly enough for my membership. Hope bert doesn't read this. Thanks again guys.