PDA

View Full Version : Changed cams, now what?

Torkil
30th April 2007, 18:12
Hi, yesterday i putted in Andrews n4 cams, i got cycle shack slip ons and k&n filter. the tends to have way more power, sometimes. but it seriously needs rejetting. I've tried some with the mixture, but isnt that only for the under 1/2 throttle? :geek

I got 190 main (hd international, i know that that is more than most of the guys with hardcore modified engines, but that's stock for me)
would that make me need about 200main?
Would i need a new needle or so? how about one of those kits on ebay (heard much bad about them because of the pricing)

biknut
30th April 2007, 18:14
What makes you think it's running lean?

Torkil
30th April 2007, 18:21
What makes you think it's running lean?

http://www.wize.dk/smiles/machinegun.gif in the exhaust when letting it just roll down hills and so, especially at high rpms, and about everything else in jetting 101 :doh it does not run smooth at all (not that any harleys does, but i mean it runs variable through rpms and throttle)

biknut
30th April 2007, 18:24
What do your spark plugs look like?

Torkil
30th April 2007, 18:26
hmm, they did look brown to graish. ill go look now (havent checked after installing cams:doh ) 1min

biknut
30th April 2007, 18:27
I used to run those cams. They work real well. When I changed to them I didn't have to do much change to the jetting. One size bigger at the most. I was already stage one at the time.

Torkil
30th April 2007, 18:37
Hmm, sounds good. but i havent jetted after going stage one :doh
just dont get why my bike got 190 jet as stock, octane or fuel quality difference? Well anyway. thye look quite good. Lean wouldnt look any differnt from normal, would it?

http://home.online.no/~nimoe/bike/plugger.jpg

Torkil
30th April 2007, 18:40
not too good picture, but i would describe them as black with a gray (not from ash, but metal) "pin", where the spark goes. but this isnt accurate, i was testing it with chocke earlier, without running more than a couple of seconds. It runs a bit better with chocke too, i think.

Bruce
30th April 2007, 18:49
How many turns on your mixture screw, should be about 2-21/2 turns.

Torkil
30th April 2007, 18:52
How many turns on your mixture screw, should be about 2-21/2 turns.

Hmm, I am actually not sure :doh all i know is that it was stock (i had to drill it) and i added 1 turn.
anyway, isnt the screw for lower throttle?

Horse
30th April 2007, 20:10
Actually, that screw is the idle mixture adjustment, from there the low speed jet takes over, then your main jet. Those plugs don't look that bad to be honest. Though I'd bet you could benifit from adjusting your idle mixture properly. Just do a search on CV carb adjustments.

Torkil
1st May 2007, 02:09
Hmm, just one question. What did you guys do to mount the "5speed cover" that needed to be removed to release the #2 cam? it was bolted on, and now i dont know how to make it stay on:doh

davidcar
1st May 2007, 10:04
Just use two self tapping screws to hold on the cover make sure they are short so they do not hit the module

Torkil
1st May 2007, 23:22
good idea! but erm, i kind of got that i've !!!!ed this up a bit by trying to be cheap! ok, i admit that i dint buy new gaskets and the cam cover is leaking me :shhhh :doh :doh I bought the james gasket kit and i was wondering if there's any chance for me to install the new cam cover gasket WITHOUT having to remove the pushrods and so? Got really tired doing that 3 times last weekend :p
On the other hand, im really fast at that now, master of changing cams! ( i know all that can go wrong)

davidcar
1st May 2007, 23:43
Sounds like you will have to remove the pushrods again.

good idea! but erm, i kind of got that i've !!!!ed this up a bit by trying to be cheap! ok, i admit that i dint buy new gaskets and the cam cover is leaking me :shhhh :doh :doh I bought the james gasket kit and i was wondering if there's any chance for me to install the new cam cover gasket WITHOUT having to remove the pushrods and so? Got really tired doing that 3 times last weekend :p
On the other hand, im really fast at that now, master of changing cams! ( i know all that can go wrong)

Torkil
1st May 2007, 23:54
Looking forward to spend some quality time with my bike again :banana

milmat1
26th May 2007, 14:53
Hmm, I am actually not sure :doh all i know is that it was stock (i had to drill it) and i added 1 turn.
anyway, isnt the screw for lower throttle?

Yes Mainly, Up to about 1/4 Throttle, But the Jet continues to supply fuel throughout the RPM range. The 190 is big for the main.. But the bike may have been intended for some thick air somewhere ???
The cam swap may have change the cranking pressure, Watch out for detonation !

You need to do a Plug test with a new set of plugs. Testing each area seperately.
PLUG TEST (http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=51212&highlight=plug+test)
That will tell you exactly where your at !!