PDA

View Full Version : Does your transmission whine when you let off the gas?

Hot Rod Sporty
30th April 2007, 22:45
My transmission has always whined pretty loudly when I let off the gas in all gears except 5th. I asked the stealer about it when I first started riding it, and got the usual, "they all do that" response. I was riding with some of the guys from the forum yesterday and XL 1200 Custom noticed it and said his didn't do it. I asked stingray about his and he said he's never heard it, but he wears a ff helmet.

Does yours do this?

biknut
30th April 2007, 22:56
Make sure your primary chain isn't adjusted too tight.

cantolina
30th April 2007, 23:01
Sounds are SOOOOOO subjective....

I have been an audio engineer for so long...I'm trained to pick out every single nuance of any sound....among many! I certainly heard things that alarmed me many times when I got my first Sporty.......

That being said, if there is a NOTICABLE whine in your primary, chances are excellent you MAY have a primary chain that's too tight....might even only be in one place on the chain!

When its checked, I recommend you take the plugs wires off the plugs, and "tap" the starter to move the chain a bit...check it.....do it again until you are either SURE there is no tighter spot, or you find the tighter spot....

Adjust to spec at THAT point......

Hot Rod Sporty
30th April 2007, 23:17
If it were a primary chain issue, wouldn't it do it when I am ON the throttle, as well? And wouldn't it do it in 5th gear too?

And, Chuck, it's VERY noticeable. XL1200Custom heard it when he was on my right as we were coming down an off ramp. It's THAT noticeable!

cantolina
30th April 2007, 23:32
If it were a primary chain issue, wouldn't it do it when I am ON the throttle, as well? And wouldn't it do it in 5th gear too?

And, Chuck, it's VERY noticeable. XL1200Custom heard it when he was on my right as we were coming down an off ramp. It's THAT noticeable!

On your right, huh?

Cam gear noise, perhaps? Or a failing bearing on the camshaft??

Ya gotta isolate it...

Try accelerating and decelerating in neutral....If ya hear it then, use a screwdriver as a "stethescope" to locate the noise....

If ya DON'T hear it then...inspect your drive belt for unusual wear....

Hot Rod Sporty
30th April 2007, 23:41
On your right, huh?

Cam gear noise, perhaps? Or a failing bearing on the camshaft??

Ya gotta isolate it...

Try accelerating and decelerating in neutral....If ya hear it then, use a screwdriver as a "stethescope" to locate the noise....

If ya DON'T hear it then...inspect your drive belt for unusual wear....

Nope, it only does it when the bike is in gear and the clutch is out. If I pull in the clutch, it stops. That's why I think it's the transmission.

My point in saying he was on my right was to illustrate how loud it is. He could hear it over his and my pipes.

It sounds similar to a jet engine winding down. Only happens as I'm decelerating. If I give it the gas, it stops. I figure it is something that happens when you put reverse pressure on the gears. Like I said, too, it only happens in gears 1-4. It doesn't happen when I let off the gas in 5th.

It's done this since I got it new. It doesn't affect the performance, and it hasn't changed in almost 2 years.

BTW, how do you accelerate in NEUTRAL?:laugh :doh

Also, I can't bend far enough to use a screwdriver as a stethescope while I'm going down the road....

HellRazur
30th April 2007, 23:54
Oh and yes mine whines just like yours and so did my last Sporty, and the one befor that. Never had any probs, not saying you wount.

Lightning
1st May 2007, 01:22
Mine does that.
Just in 2nd, 3rd gear.
Just enough to be noticable, not real loud.

Hot Rod Sporty
1st May 2007, 12:47
:bump

I'm bumping this up for the morning crowd.

I'm also wondering if this is something inherent to newer (2000 up) sportsters.

Ralph
1st May 2007, 14:03
My '05 1200c has done it since day one. Only in 3rd and 4th. Dealer mechanic said it's b/c those gears are cut differently than the others.

16,000 miles and no problems; just a bit noisy when I let off the throttle in those gears.

Pics of the bike at the link below. That's my nephew on the scoot in the second pic.

He's 15 and has been riding motocross for years. I let him ride in safe areas around their house. Never fails to put a grin on his face.

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u234/Glacier_Pearl_2005/

Ralph
Austin, Texas

semjpm
1st May 2007, 15:47
May be way off base here but I would check the clutch release bearing. First the adjustment then the bearing itself. The fact that the noise goes away when the bearing is stressed indicates that it could be related to the release bearing. Also, what lube are you running in the primary?

SEMJPM

Hot Rod Sporty
1st May 2007, 17:15
May be way off base here but I would check the clutch release bearing. First the adjustment then the bearing itself. The fact that the noise goes away when the bearing is stressed indicates that it could be related to the release bearing. Also, what lube are you running in the primary?

SEMJPM

Thanks for the idea, semjpm!

I haven't done any of the service myself, yet, so I'm assuming that it's the standard harley lube. I've been using the HD syn3 oil for oil changes since the 2500 mile, but I doubt that they put that in the primary, since I didn't ask them to. Do you have any recommendations?

biknut
1st May 2007, 17:32
Usually whine is caused by something being too tight. Have you checked the primary chain? HD shops are notorious for adjusting primary chains too tight. You have to check it with a hot motor. Check it in 2 or 3 places. Seldom to primary chains wear evenly.

hdrider
1st May 2007, 18:16
I voted "no" because my 04 1200 only whinned after my 5 and 10K service until I got it home from the dealer and readjusted the primary myself.

Hot Rod Sporty
1st May 2007, 18:21
I voted "no" because my 04 1200 only whinned after my 5 and 10K service until I got it home from the dealer and readjusted the primary myself.

Did you just adjust the nut on the bottom of the primary, or did you have to pull the cover off to do this?

jnlee3
1st May 2007, 18:23
I voted yes but I think it is just the different noises I'm hearing when engine braking and the stress on the gears while doing this. It is not nearly as loud as what you are describing though.

My HD mech told me the primary was too tight when I brought it in for the 5k service and he adjusted it accordingly. The bike seems to accelerate much easier now. It took a little getting used to as I would have to shift quicker and slow down a little as I was speeding too often.

hdrider
1st May 2007, 18:37
No you don't have to pull the cover. Might want to check your manual; both an allen and nut are involved.

rottenralph
1st May 2007, 18:40
I thought they all whine, that is why my bike has a womans name.

Hot Rod Sporty
1st May 2007, 22:53

:doh

:roflblack :roflblack :roflblack

LOL.....GOOD ONE!

jnlee3
2nd May 2007, 20:36

Now that's funny!:laugh

Hot Rod Sporty
3rd May 2007, 04:11
Geese! It's maintained at almost exactly 60/40 since the beginning. Perhaps I should've specified the year of sporty everyone is reporting on!

:doh :doh :doh :doh :doh :doh :doh :doh :doh :doh :doh :doh

Hot Rod Sporty
4th May 2007, 21:46
:bump

A distraction so everyone will stop whining about OCC!:doh

:p

68B_Body
7th May 2007, 21:22
when i put a new belt on my bike it started whining when i let off the gas then kept progressivly got worse where it whine all the time. i think i had the belt too tight , so i loosened it and it wasn't as bad, but it didn't go away. then i checked the level of the fluids in the primary and found it to be low so i filled it up and the whining went away after about a week.

semjpm
8th May 2007, 04:47
I'm using Harley Formula+ in the primary. Syn3 is too thin. I also had good results with Mobil 75/90W gear oil but it does have some moly in it and that is supposedly not good for the clutch.

I would change the gear oil and check the primary chain when very hot. The tightest spot should have 1/4" of free play.

racerwill
15th May 2007, 05:04
mine makes a noticable whine during decell too........kinda sounds like a supercharger....... very machine like and I like it..... I've had several very knowlegable Harley engine guys ride my bike and all said all is fine

Ww

Jimbo999
15th May 2007, 06:10
Mines whined for 5 years. I'm positive all the adjustments are spot on.
Fluids are super clean.....I baby my Sporty like a lady.
Runs fine so..............It's just the way it is to me.

:tour

Hot Rod Sporty
15th May 2007, 10:31
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'll stop worrying about it.:smoke

Gold951
28th May 2007, 04:32
Mine just started doing this today because I have the primary chain just a tad too tight.

I had the primary cover off to replace a leaky gasket, and when I used the Hero method to set the chain tension the bike wasn't completely warmed up.

Shortly after I started my test ride I heard the primary whining. It was getting late in the day, so I just parked it and will fix it tomorrow.

To find the Hero method, use the Search function.

Hot Rod Sporty
28th May 2007, 12:41
So, If it's the primary chain, why doesn't it whine in 5th gear? Mine only does it in 2,3 and 4.

lawdawg
28th May 2007, 12:49

Now that's funny right there, I don't care who ya are. If ya dont' think that's funny you can just get the hell outta here...Lord, I apologize

supercharger
28th May 2007, 16:35
I think the fact you have an '05 with straight cut gears has something to do with it. Straight cuts are stronger than helicals, but make more noise and are harder to engage. I'd say if your bike is '06+ and you hear a whining noise you should check your primary. On a straight cut bike, you have to live with it. If you are concerned then check your primary chain, but I HIGHLY doubt you have a bearing failing or anythinh like that. You feel some vibration with the whine if that were happening.

My last bike, a Suzuki GSF600 Bandit made a "whirring" noise. I have heard metric cruiser go past me that make that same whirring noise, which I believe is related to their trannies and camchains. The sound like an electric motor. I know the 1200 version of that motor also makes that noise, as I read a couple reviews of the bike before I bought it and the mags noticed the whirring too and commented all air/oil cooled first gen GSXR engines make it.

If your primary is adjusted correctly, stop worrying about it as every motorcycle I have owned made some kind of gear related noise. On a Harley it is more pronounced because you do not have water cooling to muffle the mechanical noises inside your cases.

Oh Yeah :) I hear it on my '05 and it doesn't concern me. I have never owned a water cooled motorcycle so I guess my ears are used to some noise out of a bike.

I have also learned that if you over tighten your primary chain you WILL feel it in the form of drag on movement, like a brake dragging.

Hot Rod Sporty
28th May 2007, 16:59
I think the fact you have an '05 with straight cut gears has something to do with it. Straight cuts are stronger than helicals, but make more noise and are harder to engage. I'd say if your bike is '06+ and you hear a whining noise you should check your primary. On a straight cut bike, you have to live with it. If you are concerned then check your primary chain, but I HIGHLY doubt you have a bearing failing or anythinh like that. You feel some vibration with the whine if that were happening.

My last bike, a Suzuki GSF600 Bandit made a "whirring" noise. I have heard metric cruiser go past me that make that same whirring noise, which I believe is related to their trannies and camchains. The sound like an electric motor. I know the 1200 version of that motor also makes that noise, as I read a couple reviews of the bike before I bought it and the mags noticed the whirring too and commented all air/oil cooled first gen GSXR engines make it.

If your primary is adjusted correctly, stop worrying about it as every motorcycle I have owned made some kind of gear related noise. On a Harley it is more pronounced because you do not have water cooling to muffle the mechanical noises inside your cases.

Oh Yeah :) I hear it on my '05 and it doesn't concern me. I have never owned a water cooled motorcycle so I guess my ears are used to some noise out of a bike.

I have also learned that if you over tighten your primary chain you WILL feel it in the form of drag on movement, like a brake dragging.

So why doesn't it happen in 5th gear????:geek

supercharger
28th May 2007, 20:21
Prolly because 5th gear is turning slower than all the rest and/or at the speed you're engaging 5th you just can't hear it over the other noises like wind etc...remember, you're always downshifting out of 5th to a higher RPM at a lower speed. I bet if you run fourth gear up to 60/70 MPH you won't hear any whine because of the peripheral noise.

Then again, I could be completely wrong and your tranny is set to explode into flames any minute now :smoke

rider29206
28th May 2007, 21:23
If Deborah is riding on the back she tends to whine much more that the bike has ever done.

Hot Rod Sporty
28th May 2007, 22:31
If Deborah is riding on the back she tends to whine much more that the bike has ever done.

:doh :doh :doh
:roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack

Hot Rod Sporty
28th May 2007, 22:33
Prolly because 5th gear is turning slower than all the rest and/or at the speed you're engaging 5th you just can't hear it over the other noises like wind etc...remember, you're always downshifting out of 5th to a higher RPM at a lower speed. I bet if you run fourth gear up to 60/70 MPH you won't hear any whine because of the peripheral noise.

Then again, I could be completely wrong and your tranny is set to explode into flames any minute now :smoke

Nope. TOTALLY quiet in 5th gear. If I downshift to 4th at 60, it's the loudest. It's actually quieter at the equivalent rpm in 3 and 2, and it's practically unnoticeable in 1st.

sailormi
28th May 2007, 23:28
My 1995 883 was making a whining noise after a long ride yesterday. It made it coasting with the engine off so I figured it to be in the final drive. What is the correct oil level in the transmission or is there anything else that might be causing this?

thatbikerguy
28th May 2007, 23:32
It's the internal "turbo" winding down! Mine does it all the time. since day one.

Hot Rod Sporty
28th May 2007, 23:33
My 1995 883 was making a whining noise after a long ride yesterday. It made it coasting with the engine off so I figured it to be in the final drive. What is the correct oil level in the transmission or is there anything else that might be causing this?

Welcome to the Forum, sailormi! The correct level for the fluid is just to the top edge of the transmission inspection hole that's covered by the derby cover. It should be just about to the top of your primary chain on the bottom of the transmission sprocket.

I'm still trying to figure out if there's anything that can be done to stop the noise. I'm taking it in for the 10,000 mile checkup soon, so I'm thinking about asking them to leave a little more slack in my primary chain to see if that does it.

rider29206
28th May 2007, 23:53
Welcome to the Forum, sailormi! The correct level for the fluid is just to the top edge of the transmission inspection hole that's covered by the derby cover. It should be just about to the top of your primary chain on the bottom of the transmission sprocket.

I'm still trying to figure out if there's anything that can be done to stop the noise. I'm taking it in for the 10,000 mile checkup soon, so I'm thinking about asking them to leave a little more slack in my primary chain to see if that does it.

When I adjust my primary chain to spec, it whines for a couple days or longer or I just get use to it. I don't know why anyone would want to adjust the primary to less tension than spec.

mtsnowrider
6th June 2007, 05:45
My '97 Buell (1200), 17k miles, just started making a similar tranny noise. It had never done it before about a week ago. It's also only when decelerating in gear off the throttle, a whining noise, and it comes and goes going on and off during each instance. I changed the primary oil and checked the chain tension, it seems ok. It worries me because it just now started doing it. And it's really annoying.

Think this is the same somewhat common noise, or something bigger and more serious?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Hot Rod Sporty
8th June 2007, 00:36
My '97 Buell (1200), 17k miles, just started making a similar tranny noise. It had never done it before about a week ago. It's also only when decelerating in gear off the throttle, a whining noise, and it comes and goes going on and off during each instance. I changed the primary oil and checked the chain tension, it seems ok. It worries me because it just now started doing it. And it's really annoying.

Think this is the same somewhat common noise, or something bigger and more serious?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Have you had the bike serviced recently?

BTW, Welcome to the forum!

wrongpaw
8th June 2007, 14:46
Does your transmission whine when you let off the gas?

No, But my Wife sure whines when I let off the gas :doh

Hot Rod Sporty
8th June 2007, 14:53
Does your transmission whine when you let off the gas?

No, But my Wife sure whines when I let off the gas :doh

Heh Heh! Want some cheese with that whine???:laugh

mtsnowrider
10th June 2007, 20:10
Have you had the bike serviced recently?

BTW, Welcome to the forum!

I do the work on it myself. I recently changed the motor oil and the tranny oil, and it didn't help the noise. I checked the Primary chain tension and it looked within spec. I also loosened it a bit and it still made the same noise.

When I started taking it apart yesterday I noticed that the little spring inside the clutch adjustment cover was broken. I don't know if this could be causing the noise, but I had to order the part. I'll put it back in when I get it and see if it helps. If not, I'll keep taking the tranny apart.

Urrell
15th June 2007, 11:46
Could this be the primary adjuster. It's in tension while decelerating, least pressure in the higher gears. Cant' explain why not in 1st thou.
:tour

fdny37
16th June 2007, 04:37
The tranny doesn't whine in 5th gear because it is one to one on the ratio. I have a 1969 Z/28 Camaro with the M22 "Rock Crusher" 4 speed tranny. The reason it's called the rock crusher is because of the whine it makes in 1st thru 3rd gears, this is caused by the straight cut on the gear set. The straight cut on the gears cause it whine loudly but also increase their strength. The M22 does not whine at all in 4th gear because it is a 1:1 ratio and I bet that is the reason your bike does not whine in 5th gear.

Hot Rod Sporty
24th July 2007, 12:53
[QUOTE=fdny37;779726] I have a 1969 Z/28 Camaro [QUOTE]

Dude, I'm absolutely GREEN with envy over that car!!!!;)

You've got some nice toys!

Roadster_Rider
29th July 2007, 19:32
Judging by the results, it might just be a straight-cut gear thing, I've never heard it on my 06 before.

cuban_sporty_rider
18th September 2007, 03:20
ive never had the whine. all's i know is that definately sounds like an up-coming problem.

bgjjr
18th September 2007, 04:10
what ever the is id have it checked over. i had to replace a transmission on my 03 custom after 24,000 miles

Hot Rod Sporty
18th September 2007, 05:55
So bgjjr and Cuban Sporty Rider, when your riding and you let off the gas in gears 2, 3, or 4, with the bike in gear and the clutch disengaged, you don't hear any high pitched whining sound (sounds kinda like a jet engine winding down)?

I'm starting to wonder if it's unique to the 1200's.

Bgjjr, what was the problem with your transmission that necessitated replacing yours?

redshiftsteve
8th December 2007, 12:51
Just put A louder exhaust on, then it dont matter

Hot Rod Sporty
8th December 2007, 14:37
Just put A louder exhaust on, then it dont matter

:doh:laugh Don't let Kev M hear you say that....:laugh

Seriously, If my pipes were any louder, it'd be obnoxious, and I'm not tryin' to be an asshat.

:smoke

redshiftsteve
9th December 2007, 10:24
It's funny really, when i put the mega on its louder than when i run it with just the headers:banadanc:banadanc:banana:banana:clap:clap: clap

Horse
11th March 2008, 21:36
Does my trans whine when I left off the throttle? no
But, my wallet whines when I put it on at 3.75/gallon

myndset
3rd June 2008, 08:19
And licking your own balls is a bad thing??? Shit my dog does it all the time, and if I could do it I would dump my old lady and never leave my house again :yikes :spank I am such a bad boy some times :doh :laugh

I wouldn't lick my own balls or anybody elses balls . As for the transmission issue, mine is a 2006 and does not seem to whine although it sure can "clunk" when putting it into first from nuetral. .

Hopper
9th July 2008, 10:32
No.
But my ol' lady sure whines when I let off the gas under the covers.

cgp-1200R
17th July 2008, 19:00
Let off the Gas ? you are supposed to do that ?

justaslowride
13th August 2008, 22:13
I have a 96 1200 sportster that was making a wining noise from the right side in all gears but 5th on decelleration, it was driving me nuts..I tore into the primary side to find nothing wrong...a few days later I got in there again and decided to remove the transmission. 5th gear has 3 bearings 2 sets of needle bearings on inside of shaft and a big bearing in the case.
well about 100 bucks later and 3 new bearings the noise is gone.
I believe it was 1 of the needle bearings as on inspecting them 1 just diddnt seem to be as smooth as the other one.
the trans mainshaft slides thru the 5th gear and rides on the needle bearings and turns at a different speed when in any gear but 5th if this makes sense..
anyway my mystry noise is gone.

Hot Rod Sporty
21st August 2008, 09:49
I have a 96 1200 sportster that was making a wining noise from the right side in all gears but 5th on decelleration, it was driving me nuts..I tore into the primary side to find nothing wrong...a few days later I got in there again and decided to remove the transmission. 5th gear has 3 bearings 2 sets of needle bearings on inside of shaft and a big bearing in the case.
I believe it was 1 of the needle bearings as on inspecting them 1 just diddnt seem to be as smooth as the other one.
the trans mainshaft slides thru the 5th gear and rides on the needle bearings and turns at a different speed when in any gear but 5th if this makes sense..
anyway my mystry noise is gone.

Welcome to the forum.

...and thanks for the first tangible evidence of something that might fix the noise!

FoxsterUK
21st August 2008, 10:42
Just my 2c...

The first time I removed the derby cover on a Sportster I did it on the side stand and, of course, some of the trans oil promptly leaked onto the floor, perhaps half a cupful. It didn't seem much and as I had no trans oil I just left it.

Then I noticed that the engine was whining on decel. I didn't think much to this as the bike was new to me and I wasn't used to its ways.

A bit later I picked up some trans oil and filled to the correct level (bottom of the crinkly round clutch spring thing). The whine disappeared straight away.

Fox

qrb912
22nd August 2008, 04:58
NOT "REALLY NICE" ANYMORE

Also, I can't bend far enough to use a screwdriver as a stethescope while I'm going down the road.... If I could do that I could probably lick my own balls!:banana[/QUOTE]

You could just sell your bike in that case. You would have no reason to leave the house.

:clap

risotteria
25th August 2008, 03:16
primery chain was too tight and now the gears are worn or out of alignment...........time for some new parts

Folkie
25th August 2008, 09:30
anyway my mystry noise is gone.Welcome to the Forum justaslowride. I'll get to answering your PM shortly.

Hot Rod Sporty
26th September 2008, 04:39
NOT "REALLY NICE" ANYMORE

Also, I can't bend far enough to use a screwdriver as a stethescope while I'm going down the road.... If I could do that I could probably lick my own balls!:banana

You could just sell your bike in that case. You would have no reason to leave the house.

:clap[/QUOTE]

Believe me, I've thought of it. It'd be less painfull than dealing with women! :doh

primery chain was too tight and now the gears are worn or out of alignment...........time for some new parts

OMFG....:rolleyes:

Only 54% of sporty owners have the same problem....as of the time of this writing....

Welcome to the Forum justaslowride. I'll get to answering your PM shortly.

:hijack

:p:p:p:p:p

I'm switching to AMSOIL in my primary case (as soon as my new amsoil filter arrives). I'll let you know if there's any change...

Folkie
26th September 2008, 06:33
Welcome to the Forum justaslowride. I'll get to answering your PM shortly.:hijackHuh ?

Hot Rod Sporty
26th September 2008, 13:06
Huh ?

I'm just messin' with ya Nigel. Thus the :laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh

Folkie
26th September 2008, 13:47
I thought so, but ya never know.

cmiller55
6th May 2009, 22:51
I have recently aquirred a rebuilt 1995 1200XL Sportster put about 3k on it and suddenly I'm gettin a badass whine. the bike was a total strip only had 10k on it when I got it and only 100 of those miles in the last four years. Ran smooth as silk now the analogy of the turbine winding down is totally accurate did a full maintenance on it new plugs oil filter and drained the primary refilled direct to Harley specs and adjusted the chain for good measure no change. I am goddamn perplexed any advice would be appreciated

Hot Rod Sporty
7th May 2009, 15:24
I have recently aquirred a rebuilt 1995 1200XL Sportster put about 3k on it and suddenly I'm gettin a badass whine. the bike was a total strip only had 10k on it when I got it and only 100 of those miles in the last four years. Ran smooth as silk now the analogy of the turbine winding down is totally accurate did a full maintenance on it new plugs oil filter and drained the primary refilled direct to Harley specs and adjusted the chain for good measure no change. I am goddamn perplexed any advice would be appreciated

I see it's your first post, so,,,,,Welcome to the XL Forum!

That is perplexing that it started suddenly. Mine's done it since day one. I'm thinking of using RedLine gear oil in the primary next time I change the fluid to see if that helps. Amsoil quieted it somewhat, but with the Harley Sport-Trans fluid it was LOUD!

Perhaps some of the guys with solidmounts could chime in if they've had this issue?

Texassporty06
7th May 2009, 17:40
Make sure your primary chain isn't adjusted too tight.

Just a quick question..... not trying to hijack the thread but what kind of sounds do you get if its too loose?? I changed my primary oil the other day and now I have a weird sound from my primary. It kinda sounds like something is rubbing or kind of a grinding sound..... but when I am in the throttle..... no sound. Ok back to your regularly scheduled thread!!:doh

biknut
7th May 2009, 18:04
Just a quick question..... not trying to hijack the thread but what kind of sounds do you get if its too loose?? I changed my primary oil the other day and now I have a weird sound from my primary. It kinda sounds like something is rubbing or kind of a grinding sound..... but when I am in the throttle..... no sound. Ok back to your regularly scheduled thread!!:doh

A really loose chain can make a metalic chinking sound from the chain hitting on the case. It's easy enough to check the adjustment. Check it when hot.

Your discription sounds more like your engine sprocket nut is coming loose, and rubbing on the primary case.

cmiller55
7th May 2009, 22:49
The sudden sound rising up was the part that perplexed me as well. But It seems I may have a totally different direction to look in. Talking with some good ol boys about the 1200 turns out some of them tend to develop an issue with the starter armature not recovering completely or tending to slack forward this causes high pitch whines due to it riding on the ring gear...I am not positive this is the cause but I plan to appropriate a primary cover gasket and checking the clearance. I will let you all know what I find :sporty:

biknut
7th May 2009, 22:53
Question, when you are hearing this whining, is you gf on the the back of the bike?

cmiller55
7th May 2009, 23:02
Nope and that makes it doubly troubling LOL.

Texassporty06
8th May 2009, 23:54
A really loose chain can make a metalic chinking sound from the chain hitting on the case. It's easy enough to check the adjustment. Check it when hot.

Your discription sounds more like your engine sprocket nut is coming loose, and rubbing on the primary case.

Thanks Biknut guess I know what I am doing this weekend!!:censor and my first weekend off in a month too dammit!!:censor:censor:censor
guess I'll keep my finger crossed and hope its nothing major!!

cmiller55
14th May 2009, 11:56
Hello all I was out of town a couple of days and finaly got to dig into my primary case yesterday. Seems the problem with mine was an crappy aftermarket tentioner. It had been knocked off kilter pressing one corner of it into the case seems as though running it for the period of time i have had it about 3k miles or so finaly dug some deep grooves in it causing it to try and track the primary chain off at an angle 22 bucks from my local harley dealer the OEM part was much beefier and didnt flop around like the old one adjusted the clutch and the chain tention made about a 200 mile run not a bit of noise out of it.

sykobobert
25th March 2010, 03:28
Hmm. Ive had my XL for 5 years. It is a 1999 1200. It has ran great for 5 years, no whining at all. Today it started and It started bad! first thru fourth gear is a terrible whining noise and nothing in fifth gear. So i went to my manual. It must be something in the countershaft of the trans. 1 thru 4 all put engine power thru the countershaft but 5th gear is the only gear that goes thru the mainshaft only. i will be tearing my down soon. i will post what i find.

1969XLCH
5th September 2013, 03:28
So I got my new 2005 1200C (6,000mi)all legal now and been doing some cruising it sure makes the spooling down whine off throttle and stops if the clutch is pulled.

So reading the posts sounds like the straight cut gears are to blame?

1969XLCH
8th September 2013, 18:31
Also as others have said no whining off throttle in 5th.

so the 2005 was the last year of the straight cut gears.

Folkie
8th September 2013, 20:06
so the 2005 was the last year of the straight cut gears.
Yes, that's correct.

bustert
31st May 2014, 20:19
if your tranny wines, could be clearance issues. hd basically says if it fits, shove it out the door. this was more so true on the older machines as hd tightened up their act but that dosen't mean they turn out perfect trannies all the time. most all the trannies that i worked on were way out of factory spec and when shimmed and fitted properly did not wine or shift harshly. being yours is without trap door, try different lubes as it may or may not help.

Hot Rod Sporty
1st June 2014, 14:48
Cool that this thread is still going on.... Looks like about half of the sportsters whine in gears 1-4, but not in 5. I wonder if this poll is scientific yet? lol

Folkie
1st June 2014, 15:07
I wonder if this poll is scientific yet? lol
I suspect not, because those whose transmissions do whine are far more likely than to vote than those that don't.

ecampbell
11th June 2014, 03:06
The new 6 speeds installed 07 and on have a terrible whine in 1st and 5th but i was told that was the cut of the gears. I have an 07 Deuce to go with my 69 XLCH.

Folkie
11th June 2014, 07:18
I haven't found that 6th speed on my '13. :laugh

shanneba
11th June 2014, 13:09
So why doesn't it happen in 5th gear????:geek

2013 Sportster service manual - page 5-28 figure 5-44 Transmission power flow-

Looking at the service manual transmission power flow chart there doesn't appear to be any of the "gears" engaged when in 5th. The power flows straight through the shaft with the belt sprocket on it.

Of course the gears are always engaged (it is a constant mesh transmission) but you would not get a deceleration load on them when in 5th like you would if you were in gear 1-4 with the power flowing through the gears engaged with the shifter dogs.

shanneba
11th June 2014, 13:17
I'm using Harley Formula+ in the primary. Syn3 is too thin.

Isn't SYN3 about the same viscosity as Formula plus?

VOA Harley Formula+ (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3087905&Searchpage=1&Main=72166&Words=Formula+%2B&Search=true#Post3087905)
Harley Davidson Formula+
Application: recommended for heavy-duty service in manual transmissions where the manufacturer normally recommends either engine oils or GL-1 lubricants.
Specific Gravity: 0.857
Pounds per Gallon: 7.14
Viscosity, ASTM D 445,
cSt at 40C: 168.04
cSt at 100C: 20.10

Harley SYN3 VOA (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=475729)

Results of new oil test performed at SwRI San Antonio.
Bo -360
Ca -1400
Mg - 730
Mo - 6
P - 1040
Zn - 1150
all test run by ASTM D4951
HTHS viscosity D4683 - 5.3 cP
KV 100 D445 - 20.5 cSt
CCS @ -15c d5293 - 4300 cP

Don Burton
11th June 2014, 13:19
The new 6 speeds installed 07 and on have a terrible whine in 1st and 5th but i was told that was the cut of the gears. I have an 07 Deuce to go with my 69 XLCH.

Yes! That 5th gear on the six-speed twin cams is quite noisy, again, I've been told, due to the cut of the gears.

xllent01
11th June 2014, 13:36
Yes! That 5th gear on the six-speed twin cams is quite noisy, again, I've been told, due to the cut of the gears.

The new MoCo 6 speed has a straight cut 1st and 5th gear thats why the noise is greater in 5th

Don Burton
11th June 2014, 20:36
The new MoCo 6 speed has a straight cut 1st and 5th gear thats why the noise is greater in 5th

Yes! I understand that 1st and 5th gear in the six speed have straight cut gears. No big deal for sure as that six speed sure is nice when you're running 3,000 rpm at 80 mph in 6th! The thing is just loafing along!

Hot Rod Sporty
11th June 2014, 22:18
2013 Sportster service manual - page 5-28 figure 5-44 Transmission power flow-

Looking at the service manual transmission power flow chart there doesn't appear to be any of the "gears" engaged when in 5th. The power flows straight through the shaft with the belt sprocket on it.

Of course the gears are always engaged (it is a constant mesh transmission) but you would not get a deceleration load on them when in 5th like you would if you were in gear 1-4 with the power flowing through the gears engaged with the shifter dogs.

Thanks for the explanation dude!!! :clap:clap:clap You get rep for that!

shanneba
12th June 2014, 04:33
Thanks for the explanation dude!!! :clap:clap:clap You get rep for that!

Thanks Hot Rod!

xllent01
12th June 2014, 11:16
Yes! I understand that 1st and 5th gear in the six speed have straight cut gears. No big deal for sure as that six speed sure is nice when you're running 3,000 rpm at 80 mph in 6th! The thing is just loafing along!

The new OD6 is certainly a pleasure at highway speeds..and a lot of fun around town too!