PDA

View Full Version : 2006 1200 Low Master Cylinder Banjo Size - Anyone Know?

KC_Sportster
1st May 2007, 01:21
Anyone know the banjo size at the master cylinder on a 2006 1200 Low? Went to the dealer today and they didn't know for sure what it was. The stock one looks the same as at the caliper but all their stainless hoses have a larger fitting at the MC. They didn't know for sure if it was just larger on the outer diameter or if the banjo was physically bigger.

I really don't want to pull this down until I have the right line ready to go back on, the weather's too good to have the bike down in the garage. :tour

Edit: After refining my search it looks like all single line Sportsters after 2004 are 10 mm on both ends. Has anyone seen anything that differs from this?

darth
1st May 2007, 03:57
Are you talking about the front or rear MC? In the front, the single disk systems are the same size banjo for both ends of the line (10mm), the dual disk systems have a larger banjo at the MC (12mm).
:usa3

KC_Sportster
1st May 2007, 04:01
Are you talking about the front or rear MC? In the front, the single disk systems are the same size banjo for both ends of the line (10mm), the dual disk systems have a larger banjo at the MC (12mm).

It is the front that I was talking about. Looks like there aren't many options from HD. Normally not the first place I would go but I have a 50.00 gift certificate...

niels
1st May 2007, 15:58
Just switched my brake line to a braided one on the weekend. Followed the manual procedure and did have to squeeze the brake lever a few times but it was not as bad as I thought.

You can reuse the banjo bolts but will need 4 new crush washers. I would go with an aftermarket line. The banjo fittings should have #3 (AN I believe) connections and the line should to. The banjo fittings should be 10mm for both the master cylinder and caliper end. If the catalogue says something about 3/8 it simply means that the 10mm fitting will work for a 3/8 banjo bolt also. The Drag Fatbook has a good explanation on 04-07 Sporty banjo fittings.

I have obviously made a short story long but 10mm top and bottom is the answer. Really make sure you know exactly how you want to route the line and measure it carefully so you get the right length.

KC_Sportster
2nd May 2007, 02:00
Just switched my brake line to a braided one on the weekend. Followed the manual procedure and did have to squeeze the brake lever a few times but it was not as bad as I thought.

You can reuse the banjo bolts but will need 4 new crush washers. I would go with an aftermarket line. The banjo fittings should have #3 (AN I believe) connections and the line should to. The banjo fittings should be 10mm for both the master cylinder and caliper end. If the catalogue says something about 3/8 it simply means that the 10mm fitting will work for a 3/8 banjo bolt also. The Drag Fatbook has a good explanation on 04-07 Sporty banjo fittings.

I have obviously made a short story long but 10mm top and bottom is the answer. Really make sure you know exactly how you want to route the line and measure it carefully so you get the right length.

Excellent information, thanks. Looking at your signature I see you went to drag bars. When you did this did you keep the stock speedometer and bracket? If not, mind sharing what you used? I had a set of risers on mine for a day and liked the way the bars felt but it made the speedo nearly vertical.

niels
2nd May 2007, 16:13
I kept the stock risers and speedometer bracket/handlebar clamp. It makes for a pretty aggressive riding position but I do like it. Very Sporty, grin! I know I did not answer your latest question. Did you go with pull back risers, is that why the speedometer is nearly vertical? A few guys I talked to on the forum went with drag bars and 4" straight risers and apparently this worked with all the stock cables. This is a nice look also. The speedomter does not look bad in fact I like the way it is obvious in the center due to the drag bars. Let me know if I can give you any information.

KC_Sportster
3rd May 2007, 04:59
Yeah I had pullbacks on it for just a day. The brake hose was stretched a little more than I wanted so it'll need to be replaced if I put the pullbacks back on it and the speedo looked pretty goofy in my opinion sitting vertical. I'm going to try an offset riser that was OEM on the FXR models first that just sets the bars back 1.5 inches. After measuring it looks like the risers and the bars will clear the tank so I'll see.

Thanks for the response.