PDA

View Full Version : Car Towed right out of my Driveway, WTF.

kilroykarr
6th July 2009, 19:17
So this morning I wake up and my car is gone.:censor Call the number on the towing sign at the front of our development. I live in place where there is an HOA. They towed my car because i was not parked head first.:frownthre I am so mad, i had to pay $120 to get it out. Can they tow my car our of my driveway that I thought i owned? They have given me a warning for no sticker on my windshield twice and then I got a sticker. I have also had a waring for parking like that before.

In the HOA rules it states that you cant park like that. But man towing my car because i unloaded grocery's and forgot to turn it around. Also says that you get two warning before they will tow. I got two for the sticker before i got one. and only one warning before they towed it. I called the Parking Enforcement company and they said that any 3 warnings you get your car towed. Also they said that they had towed it before in march, i know this isnt true. I have never had a car towed before.

Its crap because my neighbor has had his boat sitting in the street for three days and my car gets towed out of my driveway for being the wrong way.

I called back to the parking people and asked for copies of the past infraction. The lady said she wont give they to me. Isnt there a law or something that she has to give me copy's?

Any advice on what i can do to fight this?

Gone
6th July 2009, 19:20
another reason why we didnt buy a house in an association. its just baaaad news.

bigjnsa
6th July 2009, 19:22
All HOAs should be tar and feathered... Ali the only place here in town without an HOA is ghetto ville and I'm not living there.

Gone
6th July 2009, 19:29
huh, I wouldn't live there either. I guess I would be looking for another town. Any "association" that controls your house you bought and paid for, and your ability to fly an American flag should by all means to shot, then tarred and feathered. LOL

sportsterdude.248
6th July 2009, 19:36
Why on Earth would it matter wich direction you were parked in your driveway? Are you allowed to walk on your grass?

Magickman
6th July 2009, 19:38
Get on the board and make changes. Go to meetings. There is a reason that the squeaking wheel gets the grease.

If you raise enough of a stink they will change the rules.

oldjarhead
6th July 2009, 19:39
I would live in the ghetto before I lived with the HOA Nazis . . . heck, kind of DO live in the ghetto. LoL But no one messes with us . . . folks mind there own business.

What kind of moron sits down and makes a rule that says you cant back your car into the driveway? The is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. THAT ALONE tells me you are in a community with some brain dead a$$ wipes in charge.

Kirk the Jerk
6th July 2009, 19:41
Man...Being on OVERHAULIN would have been wayyy cooler...

G-man1965
6th July 2009, 19:41
I have worked in the past for a management company that specialized in HOA’s. If it is in the by-laws they can do it. These management companies have records or everything that they do to cover their a$$e$. It is best to attend their meetings (they are held monthly or quarterly) to speak of your grievances so that other home owners know what is going on. These HOA’s also have elected board members that are your fellow homeowners. Don’t allow their super sized egos ruin your community. HOA’s do a lot of good but unchecked they can do a lot of harm as well. I have many horror stories that will blow you away.

pquirk
6th July 2009, 19:44
The rules are published for a reason, if ya didn't like them or couldn't follow (for whatever reason) then you shouldn't have moved in. I'm not trying to bust yer balls it's just that you made the choice to live there, no? For the record I live in a HOA and have never had any issues, but they all differ humans are involved. My guess is that you got on the wrong side of some whiney beotch that's on the board and that person called to get you towed.

xlcruser
6th July 2009, 19:49
Before we bought the farm, we looked at a house in a gated community that had HOA. I couldn't believe the rules they had. Couldn't leave your garage door open longer than 30 minutes, no RV's, they had a special storage place for them. Even what color you could paint and a noise ordinance on motorcycles. Not for me. I'm outside of town, it's quiet and we have a campfire in the front yard whenever we want.

CaptEvo
6th July 2009, 19:56
War.

I think you need to get some garden gnomes and pink flamingoes for your front yard. :p

wade1171
6th July 2009, 19:57
Park it backwards again. Then sit on your front step when they come to tow ask who called it in. When they tell you who did go and take them behind the wood shed for a a$$whoppin

kilroykarr
6th July 2009, 19:58
I totally agree with some to the laws that they have in place. But seriously my car backed in my drive. Its not like I do it everyday just happened to go shopping and had a trunk full of stuff. What really get me is the next lane over is an older corvette that is backed in a drive and has a tarp over it. Its been there for a long time? Must be nice to know people.

I think this is a easy way they make money, that's why they do it. I'm sure that they get a kick back from the towing company. I will be going to the next meeting and expressing my concerns. Also telling them about the drug dealer down the street that they should be worried about. Not my car back in my drive.

grindbastard
6th July 2009, 19:59
I'm guessing you signed a legal contract that bound you to some pretty ridiculous IF/THEN scenarios.

I won't point and laugh.

bigjnsa
6th July 2009, 20:04
Mine is about as bad as they come. The city gave us new trash cans for recycling and normal trash. They are friggin HUGE!!

We can't leave them outside or we get a warning letter....
I can't even plant new trees/shrubs/bushes without their ok....
I have 2 weeds in my yard and I get a warning letter...
When I had my Honda CRX I left in the driveway. I hadn't driven it in months and I got a warning letter for an "unsafe" car (the tags were expired by this time).

wade1171
6th July 2009, 20:05
I would be on the war path. I'm getting mad just thinking about it. I always back my truck in to the driveway. It sit's like that all summer cause the sporty is in the garage in the winter I back it in to the garage and put the sporty in storage.

Chris B.
6th July 2009, 20:11
wow, what is this world coming to. I once received a letter from a made up group that one of my neighbors put together trying to say our grass in the ditch was too long. We waited and waited, nothing came of it. I let those damn weeds grow so high they all had flowers on 'em!

GBag
6th July 2009, 20:12
Don't get mad get even. Find the president of the HOA. 1 qt of draino in the fuel tank works great. I would do the same to the tow truck as well.;)

jharback
6th July 2009, 20:14
When you bought the house I'm sure that you also were notified of the HOA rules and requirements. It's one of the drawbacks to having a HOA. You gotta suck it up.

Cherrylady2
6th July 2009, 20:22
Couldn't leave your garage door open longer than 30 minutes

YIKES!!!! In my neighborhood, an open garage door means.....we're home! Come on over for a beer!!!! We have a lot of open garage doors in the 'hood! There's only 13 houses, no other inlet/outlet except for the one, and we all know each other.....lots of beer being swapped!

Gone
6th July 2009, 20:34
try living in Irvine, CA!! haha

bigjnsa
6th July 2009, 20:45
Since no one ever showed up for the HOA meetings - after the first one. "Mr. X" man became president. I think he voted twice for himself. That is when I got the violation for the Huge trash can - like Bignsa said - "can't sit in view of the road.

I'm so tempted to run for a board spot on my HOA. I wanna put solar panels on the roof of my house. You won't believe the tax breaks they are offering right now, 50% off from the City and another 30% from Uncle Sam.

drvsafe
6th July 2009, 20:49
IT sounds like someone on the board has it in for you. Either that or your neighbors are complaining to them and they are tired of hearing the complaints so they acted.

That sucks! Nothing is worse than being penalized for stupidity.

Ak-kronic
6th July 2009, 20:53
they tell you how to park your car in your own dam driveway!!!!! i prefer to back in where ever i park. they make us do that at work incase of emergencies like if the refinery is gonna blow you don't have like 100ppl all backin up at once. retards i would fight it. it's alot safer to back in first than have to back out later........these are the same kinda idiots who tell us how many MPG our vehicles need to get

ccjc1397
6th July 2009, 21:04
I feel for all of you. I could NEVER live in a subdivison with an HOA. If I don't want to mow my grass till next week I don't have to. If I have a problem with a neighbor (or their property) I go tell them and normally it gets fixed or their is a major reason for the problem. But we don't have hardly any problems in the neighborhood.

SuperTed
6th July 2009, 21:15
That REALLY sucks. I am not trying to side with the HOA or anything, but it sounds like they gave you plenty of warning before they towed your ride. I agree though - those rules are ridiculous.

Martimus
6th July 2009, 21:18
Personally I'd keep an eye on the driveways of the HOA board members. The first time you see one of their cars parked backwards document it in detail... and maybe even call the towing company! :D

Once you've collected enough examples of the HOA board members breaking the rules (and many of them do!), distribute copies to your neighbors and run for a seat on that board. Even in neighborhood politics it's difficult for them to explain their way out of "do as I say not as I do"... hehehe

Cherrylady2
6th July 2009, 21:22
wow, what is this world coming to. I once received a letter from a made up group that one of my neighbors put together trying to say our grass in the ditch was too long. We waited and waited, nothing came of it. I let those damn weeds grow so high they all had flowers on 'em!

Tell 'em it's "natural prairie"....

mrlowlight
6th July 2009, 21:31
I can't believe I'm reading this posted from the 'land of the free' :wonderlan....also I haven't read any posts that state what the positives of HOA's are lol. I cannot imagine living in a place...my own place, where I have to follow strict rules, of the ridiculous kind being discussed.

repairguy
6th July 2009, 21:36
I can't believe I'm reading this posted from the 'land of the free' :wonderlan....also I haven't read any posts that state what the positives of HOA's are lol. I cannot imagine living in a place...my own place, where I have to follow strict rules, of the ridiculous kind being discussed.

"DITTO" I agee!!!

Martimus
6th July 2009, 21:38

Freedom is an illusion... :geek

Personally, the way things are going in the US of A, I'm betting that we are about due for another "Boston Tea Party". This time, however, I suspect the major political parties are the tea leaves... and we're gonna :smoke em! :laugh

oldjarhead
6th July 2009, 21:38
I feel for all of you. I could NEVER live in a subdivison with an HOA. If I don't want to mow my grass till next week I don't have to. If I have a problem with a neighbor (or their property) I go tell them and normally it gets fixed or their is a major reason for the problem. But we don't have hardly any problems in the neighborhood.

Exactly, if a neighbor got behind, I went next door and offered to HELP.

The problem with the HOA's is they attract people who see there home PRIMARILY as an investment. It is all about image as apposed to community. Way to many shallow, petty, nosy busy body's for me. (Miami is full of these places.)

And I STILL would LOVE to know how backing a car into a driveway devalues the overall community. Hows does that look any better or worse than pulling in nose first? What IDIOT came up with THAT? It isn't like you are parking a dump truck in the front yard . .like someone else said, it is a SAFER way to park when all is said in don in a place full of kids.

Hell would freeze over before I lived in a place like that. In this case IF I DID, I might have to get a letter to every homeowner in the development and show up at the next meeting with a motion to remove that rule at the very least. Hard to see stupid crap like that without at the very least seeing if it can be fixed. I might also have to get that in the local paper and news and embarrasses the place, and better yet maybe HURT resale value with some bad press. I would do whatever I COULD.

Heck . .if I woke up in the middle of the night and found someone hooking up my car . .that could work out VERY badly . . . .

hey, its that or just don't back in. Be a good little citizen. :rolleyes: Ah . . hate even the IDEA of HOA's.

Tell ya this . . saw this after Hurricane Andrew . . . if some natural disaster ever be-fronts the place . .just wait till you see the living HELL it is to get EVERYONE to agree on repairs . . . . I had friends ready to go completely postal back then. (Think six or more months with no roof because people were bickering about the COLOR of tile to be used.) :frownthre

Rehit
6th July 2009, 22:05
there are several gated communities here that even forbid motorcycles.
the HOA there has rented a storage building down the road for the bikes.
they park there bikes there and call the gatehouse to have the guard pick them up.
i never had a clue that crap like that existed until i went to visit a friend there and was told by the guard that motorcycles are forbidden entirely.
he gave me the combination to the storage building down the road and told me to call him when i was parked in the shed so he could come pick me up.
these are multi million dollar homes and there is no way i would put up with that crap...
i guess if you know up front and opt in it is your own fault...

bud095
6th July 2009, 22:16
the hoa president should be dragged out in to the street and be buggered buy three large perverts while everybody looks on!:banana

mikeaze423
6th July 2009, 22:30
holloween is coming this fall they will just blame it on punk kids anyway.

brprider
6th July 2009, 22:35
HOA's are the scourge of the earth when the leaders abuse their power. It's funny how some people get away with anything and others can't catch a break. It's all in who you know (or blow). To make you feel a little better, the neighborhood I live in doesn't have an HOA, but I still have a neighbor that tried some crap. I had a '67 GTO that was in cherry condition. It was licensed, insured and driven several times a week. Third gear was grinding on occasion, so I put the car up on jackstands and removed the transmission so a buddy could rebuild it. The next morning I was called out of town on business and returned 4 days later to find a warning from the County telling me to have it off the premises within 30 days or be fined $100 per day. No matter where you live if someone wants to make your life miserable, they will.
If I were you, I'd be at EVERY HOA meeting to keep an eye on what was happening. Don't be bashful, speak up if you don't like what's going on or see a real problem that needs attention.

P.S. My neighbors dog who frequently roamed the neighborhood was picked up by the dogcatcher four times that summer @ $100 a pop. Hmmmm, I wonder who called? :rolleyes:

Jason's Sporty
6th July 2009, 22:48
wow I would tell them that this is America and try to break EVERY one of their stupid petty ''laws''!

Robus
6th July 2009, 23:06
If you're pissed off at the HOA, chances are others in your neighborhood are too. Talk to people. If enough share your views and want to put in the effort, you could take over the board. There might even be a way to abolish the HOA. Up to you to take the initiative.

Meanwhile, suggest that you park front-in.

Hot Rod Sporty
6th July 2009, 23:18
If that happened to me I'd be lookin for the sleaziest most ridiculously vile MF'r I could find that could afford to by my house and sell it to him/her. See how the HOA likes that...

kilroykarr
6th July 2009, 23:26
Wow, so i was just flipping through the book and you can park in the street, back in your drive, as long as its not between 2 a.m. and 8 a.m. Now does that make any scene.

Also no Motorcycles, mopeds, boats, trailers, and trucks over 1/2 ton allowed to enter the community.

kilroykarr
6th July 2009, 23:27
If that happened to me I'd be lookin for the sleaziest most ridiculously vile MF'r I could find that could afford to by my house and sell it to him/her. See how the HOA likes that...

We are moving in a year so I know I don't have to put up with this much longer.:banana

D-Rock
6th July 2009, 23:34
All HOAs should be tar and feathered... Ali the only place here in town without an HOA is ghetto ville and I'm not living there.

lol @ tar'd & feathered

mdaycb
7th July 2009, 00:16
I'm sorry to hear what happended to you. Funny thing is the same thing happened to me on Fathers Day, it cost me 273 bucks to get my SUV out of storage, I had to pay extra because it was a Sunday, and it was considered after hours. I live in a Gated Community, where I rent a place, I have lived here since Jan 05. I have never recieved a copy of CC&R, nor was I notifiied of the new parking rules, they said they mailed a notice out, but the home owner, property manager, nor myself never recieved it. The house I rent is in a T shaped cul-de-sac, there are six house that ouline the T, with 4 of the houses, there is no way you can park in front of your house, because you would be blocking entry and egress of other residence, and emergency vehicles. Where I was parked in front of my garage, I was in no way shape of form blocking anyone's egress or entry, nor blocking emergency vehicle access, there is no signage stating I cannot park there, etc etc. But the tow company came in the middle of the night and yanked my car out, you could see the skid marks from where they had to pull my vehicle out. The tow company said the HOA doesnt make any money from the tow, which I find very hard to beleive. I feel they are very predotory and on the brink of practicing extortion. I also talked to the HOA, they just pissed me off even more, the lady I spoke with was very rude, told me to park there again, so they could take more of my money, she also said I was not even allowed to park there for one second, I then asked her what if I need to unload my vehicle, she said too F-ing bad(her exact words), park on the street and carry your stuff in. I feel that the HOA are losing alot of money in the current housing market, especially here in Vegas with all the foreclosures, and they are looking to generate income anyway they can. And this one of the ways that they are making cash. I contacted the media and filed a complaint with the transportation adminstration, I really dont think it will do any good, but it makes me feel better LOL.

ReddTigger
7th July 2009, 00:26
I'd have the tow truck driver arrested for trespassing ! Regardless of the HOA, they can NOT come onto your property. There are laws against this sorta crap. Look into it. they can do whatever they think they can, but in reality the HOA is Bogus, county, city and state rules apply.

Next door neighbor hasn't been there in months. Grass was about 2 feet high. HOA called, left messages posted notes on the door. etc. Nothing happened.. then one day we cut the lawn because we couldn't stand it. Next week the daughter of the owner of the house had a landscaping company on contract every two weeks

mglowe
7th July 2009, 00:42
another reason why we didnt buy a house in an association. its just baaaad news.

+1

I never heard of anything good from people who own those association type of properties. I can understand some rules that protect everyone's investment but parking a certain direction in your own driveway... ?

Someone doesn't like you!

milmat1
7th July 2009, 00:46
HOA have their purposes. So you don't have cars setting on concrete blocks. Huge campers and boats - blocking the view of traffic. When I bought this home - they still had not formed an HOA - it was in the works. So - I got my above ground pool, 12X12 shed built and my 6 foot privacy fence with no fancy stuff on the top. That was all Grandfathered. They could not do anything about it.

But parking your car in the wrong direction. LOL I did get a trash can violation. But here is a question for you. We have letters sent out quarterly from our HOA - it is a report of what happened at the last meeting. In the past 6 years - no more than 10 homeowners have ever went. Is it the same in your subdivision?

Still - it is rediculous !!!!

And Just what's wrong with that ???..............................:D

They formed an HOA when I moved here but the very first meeting turned into a shouting match and nobody was ever elected.And the developers covenant was never rewritten.
The covenants that were in place by the developer included a Water landing for the development. He went broke and it never was built. That is in the same Covenate that made all the rules etc...
So when they build my Boatramp I'll start paying attention to the rules, In the mean time.. F 'EM !!

As for your situation, How many homes are in there ??
Find the President of the HOA and let her have it ( I bet it's a HER!!). Tell her to get laid instead of having her Nose stuck up everyone elses ass !!
and I would Find a way of getting every dime of my money back if I had to steal there F'N Lawn furniture >....:shhhh

Oh Yea. One other thing:

LEARN HOW TO DO BURNOUTS !!!!

Sandman
7th July 2009, 01:09
That just sux. I know there are rules and crap, but damn, coming on your property like that, I don't care what the rules are, that just seems like it would be illegal. If someone was on my property in the middle of the night, the ambulance or the coroner would be how they would leave. Not trying to be all macho or anything, that's just how it would be as the safety of my family would be my first concern.

crospo
7th July 2009, 06:08
If it's your property you should be able to park anyway you want to,cut your grass when you want to or do anything else you damn well please.Free country?Yeah right!By moving into these communities you're only supporting the agenda.Can you say communism.

williamv1203
7th July 2009, 08:29
This reminds me of an episode of The X-Files. Everyone that lived in the developement had a list of rules to go by. Some may remember it... :frownthre

Too many things to list that I would do in retaliation... most of which would get a person jail time... :rolleyes:

mrlowlight
7th July 2009, 08:47
Well it seems from all the comments, there are more negative consequences from having HOA's than positives. It also seems to ring true, that the price you pay for 'ulitmate' protection, is significant loss of freedom. There's an overall message here folks!

Jason's Sporty
7th July 2009, 08:55
This reminds me of an episode of The X-Files. Everyone that lived in the developement had a list of rules to go by. Some may remember it...
I remember that! Moulder was pretty funny in that one.
In the episode, ppl were getting eaten my a monster if they didn't keep to the rules.
Moulder went about breaking every rule. Pretty good episode. look it up on Youtube.

cbear
7th July 2009, 09:06
This reminds me of an episode of The X-Files. Everyone that lived in the developement had a list of rules to go by. Some may remember it...
:D Yeah, send the president a whirlygig.:banana
(You'ld have to know the episode.)

cbear
7th July 2009, 09:08
So are there any rules about parking on your lawn?

Blaze
7th July 2009, 11:15
Well it seems from all the comments, there are more negative consequences from having HOA's than positives.

There are no positives. No-one has ever been able to give me an example of how the HOA helps in a way that's not allready covered by local laws.
You couldn't give me an HOA house (that I had to live in).
A friend lives in a community that says you can't have writing on your vehicles parked in view. If you had your own bussiness vehicle (with writing/advertisement on it) you had to park it in a garage. His wife drove a school bus...A SCHOOL BUS! The same bus that the kids in that very neighberhood took to school, and they told them they had to build a building big enough to house the bus.
It's crazy...power hungry people...

mrlowlight
7th July 2009, 14:53
writing/advertisement on it) His wife drove a school bus...A SCHOOL BUS! The same bus that the kids in that very neighberhood took to school, and they told them they had to build a building big enough to house the bus.
It's crazy...power hungry people...

That is indeed madness.

cantolina
7th July 2009, 14:56
SOME municipalities have laws explicit to NOT backing out into a road way...

I'd look into that, then call a lawyer....then, a realtor... :laugh

ParrotHead
7th July 2009, 15:03
The benefits from a HOA are typically the community property such as pools, community centers, rec centers, etc. Some provide lawn service, trash pickup, snow plowing, etc. Of course these all cost money and assuming the HOA has the funds they pay for them.

Of course, some of the rules such as the one the OP ran into are a complete joke.

But remember, the owners of the homes are the HOA. It is not some mysterious group of outsiders trying to make money off of you. If you don't go to the meetings and pay attention to the rules being made or the finances, you get what you deserve.

To the OP (and others living in these communities), go to the meetings and participate.

oldjarhead
7th July 2009, 16:31
If it's your property you should be able to park anyway you want to,cut your grass when you want to or do anything else you damn well please.Free country?Yeah right!By moving into these communities you're only supporting the agenda.Can you say communism.

Well . . .

it does remind us what happens when we hand "community responsibility" over to the "few" as apposed to it being retained by "the many". There is no example in history in any form or fashion of that working out well.

Instead of that predictable "one house" that is an eye sore, the whole community becomes a miserable place to live, and your sovereign rights to your own property are lost. To me the price is way to high to insure everyone parks right. :doh

I have always lived in lower middle class single family developments with full yards. Boats, trucks, to include work trucks, roofers equipment from small business owners, etc. Half the time they are excuses to just go meet and get to know the guy next door. I have also on the three homes I have owned made GREAT returns on my investment. (More than doubling my money on each.) Might just be that NOT being under these rules and obligated to the additional monthly expense of fees has value on the market as well. (-;

Like many things in life. Be careful what you ask for regarding "protection" of or from anything. Sometimes you get what you ask for. ;)

No community will ever be stronger than the one where the people in it have each others back.

Bone
7th July 2009, 16:44
As far as I can tell, no one is being forced to live in neighborhoods with HOAs, you know when you buy and should know when you rent if there are rules.

Personally, I don't dig people, and I definitely don't dig rules. But I can deal with both if they are reasonable and predictable.

We live in a pretty nice, relatively upscale neighborhood with an HOA.

The HOA is like a small local government, and you get from it what you put into it (i.e. if you don't vote, don't bitch).

Our HOA fees are $160/month (up from $130 when we bought due to state mandated audits/reserve studies and making sure our budget is on track).

Our HOA takes care of

Building Exteriors - siding, roofs, paint etc.
Common grounds - grass, tress, flowerbeds, sidewalks, street lights, drainage system etc.
Trash and recycling removal
Snow removal - including shoveling up to our door.

Frankly, that's reasonable, and frickin' paradise.

We do have rules regarding not parking RVs or boats in driveways, but the driveways are pretty small and that wouldn't work in most cases anyway.

We educated ourselves as to the rules before we bought.

We're happy as can be with it, but we found something that fits our needs and desires. And frankly, the neighborhood is VERY attractive.

But we'd be hard pressed to move into a neighborhood with more restrictive rules than this.

grindbastard
7th July 2009, 16:55
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/362154-epic-thread-homeowner-vs-hoa-and-arizona-parking-solutions-boot-me-i-move-car.html

This is worth a read if you have time. Guy vs. HOA vs. Towing Company vs. same Guy.

Likemlouder
7th July 2009, 17:04
we looked at several homes before we bought march was a year ago. many we turned down simply because of HOA. we bought a home in an older subdivision. our house is 18 years old. but it is ours we live on a hill in a cul de sac . and no one bothers us. i still work on a few cars. i don't run a full buisness any more due to my health. i talked to my neighbors and explained what i do and asked if they had a problem with it. they all told me they had all they could do taking care of their own buisness. THANK GOD FOR GOOD NEIGHBORS. but at the same time i respect their rights. i never work early i wait till they go to work. i never work on anything loud after 6pm. i respect other peoples rights. i never have over three cars at a time. and keep up my property. most rules are made for people who abuse priveleges.

Gone
7th July 2009, 17:38
i understand HOA have rules but umm... whats wrong with a car backed in a driveway? I would do it if Im on call for emergencies so I can leave the house faster.

Blaze
7th July 2009, 17:43
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/362154-epic-thread-homeowner-vs-hoa-and-arizona-parking-solutions-boot-me-i-move-car.html

This is worth a read if you have time. Guy vs. HOA vs. Towing Company vs. same Guy.

Not it's not...it starts out as a "worth the read" but there's no solution...what a let down!:frownthre

mk2wilson
7th July 2009, 17:58
Not it's not...it starts out as a "worth the read" but there's no solution...what a let down!:frownthre

I know, I was getting into it to.

grindbastard
7th July 2009, 18:09

It's like one of those movies when at the end the credits roll and you're like, "what the F*#k happens now!?!?" but the critics all loved it and it won academy awards and s#!t so you're thinking maybe you should go back to school or learn another language...or maybe start writing that book you've been planning out in your thoughts. What kept you from doing all those things anyhow?

racerwill
7th July 2009, 18:43
legally they can't come onto your property and take your stuff..... no matter what the HOA says.... the only reason the repo guy can do it is because the lender owns the car and the repo works for them

Ww

oldjarhead
7th July 2009, 18:57

Just read the whole thing . . . why on gods green earth would anyone want to BUT into a mess like that? LoL I am with the dude . . push back. (-;

66impala
7th July 2009, 19:11
I am assuming your correct when you say they didnt give you two warnings, before the car was towed. Get a copy of your Hoa rules, and see whats in writing, and also get what the policy for towing is. Is it when the situation is happening or two weeks later now we got you.

I would take the Hoa to small claims court for the 120.00 and four hours of my time to prove a point. They will have to prove they informed you in writing and that the car would be towed. Take them to court its worth it, small claims court does work well.

Sandman
7th July 2009, 19:26
I agree with 66impala....take it to court. If they can't prove the warnings then I would say the odds are in your favor. It would at least make them think twice about doing that kind of thing. And even if they did give the warnings, again, the legalities of coming onto your property to do that, I check into that. Could be grounds for a lawsuit. That would get the HOA rules changed quickly if they got sued and lost!

BullDogChief
7th July 2009, 19:33
YIKES!!!! In my neighborhood, an open garage door means.....we're home! Come on over for a beer!!!! We have a lot of open garage doors in the 'hood! There's only 13 houses, no other inlet/outlet except for the one, and we all know each other.....lots of beer being swapped!

DUDE! My subdivision isn't finished but our HOA tried enforcing some stupid rules...like garage doors. I was threatened with a fine because I keep my garage door open til I go to bed at night.

I pulled out my copy of the rules and went to the HOA Prez's house and showed him the rule that said "All pets MUST be on a leash." and "No golf carts or ATV's on the streets at any time." Then I whipped out my digital camera and showed him video of HIM on his ATV and HIS dog running around unleashed.

I told him they could try to fine me all they want, I'm not paying anything and if they would like to try and put a lien on my home or take me to court, I'm sure those videos would be very effective in my defense.

Haven't heard a word about it since.

ahernandez23
7th July 2009, 20:22
You can fight this, but why?

There is no solution that will satisfy you. You could go to small claims court or get a lawyer, but you will have at least two things to worry about.

1) Time. Do you have the time to go through this in court?

2) Money. Do you have the money to fund this?

My guess is no on both parts. I found being in an HOA it does have its benefits. The best one is that your house should keep its value. You can't worry about what other people do, you have no control over others. You only have control of yourself.

Did you violate the HOA rules? If yes, then take the punishment and move on.

An HOA is a political forum and like others said before me, attend the meeting and be active with the associations. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Blaze
7th July 2009, 20:22
so you're thinking maybe you should go back to school or learn another language...or maybe start writing that book you've been planning out in your thoughts. What kept you from doing all those things anyhow?

Better things to do....:tour

MacAttack
7th July 2009, 20:42
Gotta love amateur government!

oldjarhead
7th July 2009, 21:18
Gotta love amateur government!

ALL government. (-;

You leave it up to the few to take responsibility for the many and you see petty, shallow, power drunk fools surface every time. It is as predicable as mud puddles in the rain. ;)

Do you seriously think the HOA dictators sound ANY different that those jerks in congress? :doh:doh :frownthre These things draw a certain type of "personality" to them like a moth to a flame. It is a human nature thing. :rolleyes:

HOA or a Nation . . I vote for keeping other folks out of my business, home and family life. :rolleyes:

LuxBlue
7th July 2009, 21:34
A friend of mine once got fined from her HOA for hanging a wreath on her front door!!

I want to live in a house (and I do) that I can pee off the porch if I want to!!:D

johnnysquire
8th July 2009, 16:26
legally they can't come onto your property and take your stuff..... no matter what the HOA says.... the only reason the repo guy can do it is because the lender owns the car and the repo works for them

There are lots of things that get called an "HOA" but you're most likely wrong where the HOA in question is the arm of a legal planned community. In those cases, the property deed (the homeowners' legal right to the land) is subject to the charter/bylaws of the HOA corporation. The documents (available at the courthouse) spell out all the things that homeowners' property rights are subject to - including allowing the HOA's agent access to your property to enforce its rules.

The reason there are so many planned communities these days is that it makes it easier for the builder to sell out the property. No worries about someone failing to maintain a property next to the model home, painting their house blaze orange, or running a massage parlor. Lots of folks appreciate the rules when they want to sell their home, too.

Personally, parking backwards seems pretty darn stupid as far as protecting property values. All the other rules mentioned (no work trucks, maintenance rules, etc.) seem pretty reasonable.