PDA

View Full Version : Importing a Sportster from the US

gardkarlsen
2nd December 2004, 16:41
Hi

This might be a bit off topic. I'm wondering how much HP (or KW) the Sportster 883 has. I need this information to be able to calculate how much it will cost to import at Sportster from the US to Norway. The Norwegian Kroner is very strong to the US dollar now and I think that I would be able to save some money on doing this. I would like to hear from other that has experience when it comes to exporting a bike from the US to Europe. How easy is it to do this? How much does it cost to get it transported over to Europe etc.

gordy
2nd December 2004, 16:48
there used to be a lot of people doing this in the UK but the costs of import, tax , registration have made it not so worth while but if you can get a decent deal you could be 's in

Doc66
2nd December 2004, 19:26
Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken but I believe a stock 883 runs at about 42 HP or 31.31 KW.

sportymark
2nd December 2004, 21:51
At the rear wheel, I think H-D quote 51 BHP for the 04/05 at the crank.

DutchBoy
3rd December 2004, 07:44
Hi gard,

I imported an '99 XL1200C from the US this year and it has been a big hassle to get it approved for the european road.

You are correct when it comes to the kroner compared to the Dollar you would be able to get a good deal.
But.... I don't know how it is in Norway but in the Netherlands the bike has to comply to the EEG rules meaning all parts have to be stock and have to carry "E" marks on the exhausts, headlights, blinker light etc. to get your bike approved for the road. Once it is approved you can do with it whatever you want.

Make sure to check with the norwegian customs what you have to pay on import duties, what documents are required when importing and after that make sure to check what you need to do to get your license plate.

As said, for me we it was a lot of hassle and took a lot of time but in the end It was still cheaper than buying the bike directly from a local dealer and in addition to that all the time spend on it make sure you appreciate it when you are finally riding down the road :tour .

Good luck on your quest

Rio
3rd December 2004, 08:56
Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken but I believe a stock 883 runs at about 42 HP or 31.31 KW.

Sry, a stock '03 883R runs 53HP or 39KW.

Rio

Doc66
3rd December 2004, 13:29
Rio,

Thanks for correcting me. I had a feeling I was getting the numbers mixed up with a different bike after I posted. Sorry about that Gard. Good luck with the import.

jwb47
4th December 2004, 14:29
you should hire the swedish bikini team to greet your new sporty getting off the boat :clap

Galewarning
4th December 2004, 18:52
Hello Gard,
My cousin lives in Karmoy and he shipped over a '66 Thunderbird a few years ago. He avoided a bunch of taxes because it was over 30 years old. Not sure if he could help you, but if you'd like, I could get a phone number or e-mail address. Good Luck. Anskar.

rottenralph
4th December 2004, 21:42
I might be able to get you a 1200 for about $6500 to $7000 here in Tennessee. I have a coworker that keeps saying he wants to sell his bike and I don't think he will ask for more. It is an 01 or 02 with very low mileage. Anyone interested let me know then I will ask him for more details. It is the blue and silver paint job with a sissy bar. The rest is all stock original I believe. And by the way, I traveled around Norway for a week on my bike and visited Kritiansand, Bergen, Stavanger, Lili Hammer, oslo, and climbed Preikestolen. Great place for a bike. I think I was in Stavanger but I can't remember exactly where it is. You should have a bike. Thats quite a backdrop to a riding adventure. Beautiful every where you look. 3000 miles in 6 days. Even rode dirt roads for about a 100 miles.

gardkarlsen
5th December 2004, 10:49
Hi

Thanks for all the feedback guys. What is the suggested retail price for a 883?

thunderpaw
5th December 2004, 12:49
What is the suggested retail price for a 883?

Harley posts their prices on the website (US) under each model's page there is a tab "specs and pricing".

The 883 is $6495 in black, $6715 in pearl or sunglow.

Kim