PDA

View Full Version : Loud pipes and National parks

turfpro
12th April 2005, 04:22
Im 45 min away from Sequioa National Park, and would be a great place to ride. Does anyone know if the park Rangers will ticket me as soon as they here my pipes? Theres no way around them, only a few main roads and I will pass several Rangers Im sure. It would be a pain the ass to change my pipes every time I want to go up there.

Swamp Fox
12th April 2005, 13:35
Typically the park attempts to enforce to the same level as the local agencies. However, they have wide discretion in many enforcement situations....

I would just give them a call and ask. Their visitor information number is
559-565-3341.

Darhawk
12th April 2005, 14:40
Im 45 min away from Sequioa National Park, and would be a great place to ride. Does anyone know if the park Rangers will ticket me as soon as they here my pipes? Theres no way around them, only a few main roads and I will pass several Rangers Im sure. It would be a pain the ass to change my pipes every time I want to go up there.

They should be following Federal Regs which state 95dba; HD says the SEIIs average about 92dba as a comparison.

Flamin883
12th April 2005, 15:44
Theoretically {sp} wouldn't the rangers need to have a decible meter and capture readings on you for a ticket to hold up in a court of law anyway? Especially when the law states a specific level is acceptible and another is illegal. Who could tell the dif. from 94-95 without one. Or am I being to simplistic here. I know that in reality the judge will always side with the officer over defendant in a me against you argument without other wittnesses.

AZbiker
12th April 2005, 22:21
I've ridden in Organ Pipe, Sonoran Desert, and Tonto Nat'l Monuments, never had a problem. I'm running CS slip-ons with modified baffles.

jlcrss
26th April 2005, 18:56
I know because of first hand knowledge you do not need a decible meter to write a ticket for loud exhaust. Not only that....in some states if you dont have baffles in your exhaust they will take a stick and test for restriction. That is also an infraction you can be jammed up for.

Mr Jimi
26th April 2005, 19:13
I know because of first hand knowledge you do not need a decible meter to write a ticket for loud exhaust. Not only that....in some states if you dont have baffles in your exhaust they will take a stick and test for restriction. That is also an infraction you can be jammed up for.

All the other replys are correct!! Except one thing? You are talking State Parks!!
What about that little thing that we never think about??
Spark arrestors!! Come with factory exhaust and NOT with most aftermarket pipes!
They could get you there, I don't think the noise would be a problem.
:tour

wabiker
26th April 2005, 19:14
.... I wouldnt even worry about it. what are ya gonna do... change yer pipes and rejet just because you MIGHT get a fix it ticket...??

sunkenloot
26th April 2005, 19:16
As an aside to national parks, dont ever get busted with any illegal substances out there. That puts it into the Feds hands and, they like to put the screws to ya.

Y2K
26th April 2005, 19:46
I've been through many Nantional parks with loud pipes and had no trouble.Just obey the speed limits and don't rapp the pipes and you'll be ok.
Y2K :smoke

RatBastard
26th April 2005, 20:33
Colorado Springs was ticketing on the officers discretion, no db meters in use. There were problems with loud cars and bikes, but the bikes got the 'lions share' of the tickets. I heard if they determined a bike was loud they checked the pipes and issued a ticket if it was not stock pipes. Glad I only lived there for 10 months before returning to the Denver area.