PDA

View Full Version : Rubbermount_EFI My Angel was looking out for me

bigjnsa
4th August 2009, 19:42
I wish I had my camera for this, you'll just have to believe me.

At 9am I hit the dealer to have my rear tire replaced because of a screw (which was covered under extended warranty - WOOHOO!!). Anyways, I get there and they take my bike to the back and begin to work on it. About 20 minutes later the Service Tech comes out and says I gotta see this. We walk to the bike and in the Techs hands are 2 metal rods. I don't know what they are, but he says I'm lucky to be alive. I say Huh?? Those two metal rods were what was left of the rear axle, it was snapped clean in half!

On the ends you could see wear indications like it was broken for a while and the tire rim was worn as well. So they replaced the axle, rear rim and tire all covered under warranty.

I'm trying to think back if I noticed anything, heard anything, but for the life of me I cannot. The bike ran perfect, no noise, grinding or crunching.

Anyways, my angel was watching me so I am still here.

Erik
4th August 2009, 19:48
Pffff, scary stuff BigJ.....
That Angel of yours is the best.:clap

Glad to hear it ended that good.

slolane
4th August 2009, 19:52
Wow, glad your ok.

kfj
4th August 2009, 19:56
Damn that sucks but thank god they noticed it.

sportyblue
4th August 2009, 19:57
When you're faced with something that should've put you down.........amazing how that works !! :)

Red Red Kroovy
4th August 2009, 20:05
Holy smokes! Glad you didn't have catastrophic failure!

bigjnsa
4th August 2009, 20:15
It makes you realize just how dangerous riding a bike is. One small failure and you're going down. I was biding my time anyway considering I was riding with a screw in my tire for god knows how long. I first saw it 8 days ago. I figured it can wait until I have time.

xena
4th August 2009, 20:50
Glad to hear you are still here but ya gotta wonder
what caused that.

Hot Rod Sporty
4th August 2009, 21:11
Damn dude....

Just how heavy ARE you???

:sofa

:smoke

Glad it turned out well! I'd like to know what caused it, too.

wilbur
4th August 2009, 21:21
I haven't heard of an issue with the rear. What CAUSED this to happen? I would really like to know why. Any ideas?:dunno

Glad to hear you dodged a bullet either way!

DEEP DIVER
4th August 2009, 21:25
You were very, very lucky.

debster
4th August 2009, 21:27
Yeah, what the heck could've caused that?? Bizarre.

Rep to your angel!

Weo
4th August 2009, 21:32
I haven't heard of an issue with the rear. What CAUSED this to happen? I would really like to know why. Any ideas?:dunno

Glad to hear you dodged a bullet either way!

+1 :geek

Teehaml
4th August 2009, 21:33

Yea... did the stealer techs have any ideas what happened?

chrisfla
4th August 2009, 21:35
Wow -- you must be livin' right! Whatever you've been doin', you better keep on doin' it!!

Gr8ful Ryder
4th August 2009, 21:39
good thing you got that screw in your tire when you did !
more good luck to you !

bigjnsa
4th August 2009, 21:42
Yea... did the stealer techs have any ideas what happened?

I think they are going to send it off to Harley to see happened. The only thing I can think of is that at approximately 11k miles I had an Indy replace the rear tire. Maybe they botched the reinstall and somehow the axle seized?

All this time, the bike ran perfectly. And to think I was going 80mph this morning just to get to the dealer!

mid30
4th August 2009, 21:52
Wow, that is crazy

shotgun46
4th August 2009, 22:08
Man Oh Man ! Lucky Big real Lucky

Zoharo
4th August 2009, 22:19
Jerry, this just MIGHT be a clue to what caused the problem....ask the indy what he found inside.

In my case, I had an indy change my tires before riding to the KC Rally. He called me in to have a look. He found that my rear axle had NEVER been greased on my new 2009 1200c. Ask around...it may be common place since the dealers have cut back the prep time for new bikes to save them a few bucks on labor.

I think they are going to send it off to Harley to see happened. The only thing I can think of is that at approximately 11k miles I had an Indy replace the rear tire. Maybe they botched the reinstall and somehow the axle seized?

All this time, the bike ran perfectly. And to think I was going 80mph this morning just to get to the dealer!

brprider
4th August 2009, 22:29
Wow, you really did dodge a bullet! :hidechai
Did it break in the middle or by a bearing? I'm just wondering, because I had the stuck axle problem when I changed my rear tire. It had to be persuaded out with a BFH and tons of PB Blaster. The bearings seem to be fine, but I had to do a bunch of clean up on the axle. Ever since I changed the tire, I've had a vibration under acceleration that I can't find. How much of a groove was there? After reading your post, I'm seriously considering taking it apart again and replacing the bearings and axle.

Dan207
4th August 2009, 22:39
Praise God dude. I'm glad your ok.

DogBunny
4th August 2009, 23:28
I have met bigjnsa, he is your typical big Texan, but he is not overweight.
On the ends you could see wear indications like it was broken for a while and the tire RIM was worn as well. So they replaced the axle, rear RIM and tire all covered under warranty.
Rim??? Don't you mean HUB???

thatbikerguy
4th August 2009, 23:33
I have met bigjnsa, he is your typical big Texan, but he is not overweight.

Rim??? Don't you mean HUB???

Cast wheels. Front and back.:smoke

bigjnsa
5th August 2009, 01:28
Yes I meant HUB, sorry about that. Since I can't find the diagram in my service manual, the wear grooves (patterns) were approximately 3" or so on either end of the axle shaft. Looking at my tire, 3" or so is were the hub starts on the rim. There was another wear groove on the inner hub assembly, my only assumption here is it is where the 2 broken axle pieces were grinding against the hub.

bigjnsa
5th August 2009, 01:33
Wow, you really did dodge a bullet! :hidechai
Did it break in the middle or by a bearing? I'm just wondering, because I had the stuck axle problem when I changed my rear tire. It had to be persuaded out with a BFH and tons of PB Blaster. The bearings seem to be fine, but I had to do a bunch of clean up on the axle. Ever since I changed the tire, I've had a vibration under acceleration that I can't find. How much of a groove was there? After reading your post, I'm seriously considering taking it apart again and replacing the bearings and axle.

The break was clean in the middle. Well, I didn't measure it, but it looked pretty close to the middle of the axle shaft.

And you mentioned something that I just remembered and contemplated on on the ride to work after it was fixed. About 2 weeks ago I did start hearing a slight ticking, kind of a, oh I can't describe it sound. It reminded me of Tom at the KC Rally where his belt was slightly out and rubbing against something. I can only assume the axle was broken at that time causing the belt to rub against something. Too bad the dealer washed the bike or I'd be seeing exactly where it was rubbing (if it was rubbing).

Hot Rod Sporty
5th August 2009, 18:46
It reminded me of Tom at the KC Rally where his belt was slightly out and rubbing against something. I can only assume the axle was broken at that time causing the belt to rub against something. Too bad the dealer washed the bike or I'd be seeing exactly where it was rubbing (if it was rubbing).

If your belt was rubbing you should make the stealer replace that, too. I had a belt break about a month ago (on a steep hill....not fun....:frownthre). I think it was because when the dealer put new tires on my bike they didn't properly align the rear wheel...one side was about 1/4" different than the other. I think that stress caused the belt to break.