PDA

View Full Version : Ride getting worse

3rdGeneration
9th August 2009, 16:16
I'm looking for some help here guys. About two months ago I was on a ride with some buds when we all passed a slow moving car. When I got around this Sunday driver, I noticed a violent wobble that seemed to be coming from the front end. I pulled over the first chance I got to check the bike out, because, frankly, it scared the sh#! out of me. A couple of weeks later I took the bike to get inspected and told them about the problem. They ended up taking the front wheel off and re-stretching the spokes. The way they put it to me was "your front spokes were really f#$%ed up". Well the bike seemed to ride better when I got it back, but as I ride it more, I notice a "squirrely" feeling especially going into turns. I'm so tense that i can't enjoy the ride and its really starting to piss me off. Knowing I already sunk some money getting the spokes stretched, should I buy a new front wheel? While I'm at it I'm considering putting new tires on it too. Also, could the front shocks be part of the problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Teehaml
9th August 2009, 16:24
I'm looking for some help here guys. About two months ago I was on a ride with some buds when we all passed a slow moving car. When I got around this Sunday driver, I noticed a violent wobble that seemed to be coming from the front end. I pulled over the first chance I got to check the bike out, because, frankly, it scared the sh#! out of me. A couple of weeks later I took the bike to get inspected and told them about the problem. They ended up taking the front wheel off and re-stretching the spokes. The way they put it to me was "your front spokes were really f#$%ed up". Well the bike seemed to ride better when I got it back, but as I ride it more, I notice a "squirrely" feeling especially going into turns. I'm so tense that i can't enjoy the ride and its really starting to piss me off. Knowing I already sunk some money getting the spokes stretched, should I buy a new front wheel? While I'm at it I'm considering putting new tires on it too. Also, could the front shocks be part of the problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Don't know if it's the spokes or not but here's an excuse to get a cast aluminum wheel. Plus you won't have to remove the wheel to plug (patch) a flat.. just my 2 cents... :smoke

AB,Frank
9th August 2009, 16:32
its not the tyre? did you hit something? train tracks at 60+..maybe a separated cord in the tyre.
Jack up the front end so the wheel is off the ground..place a block of wood or something..even a ball hammer just off the tyre 1/8" and turn the wheel and see if the gap gets wider or hits the block or hammer...it will tell you if there IS something wrong with the wheel or tyre.
Balancing might be an issue also.

Teehaml
9th August 2009, 16:36
Keep us updated with what you figure out...

Screw Loose Dan
9th August 2009, 16:50
You probably want to read the infamous wobble thread (http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=33294). There's all sorts of things that can cause the front end to wobble. They've ALL been discussed in the wobble thread (http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=33294).

Hot Rod Sporty
9th August 2009, 17:00
Were you accelerating or decelerating when the wobble appeared?

Is there any play in the bearings? Jack the bike up, have someone hold the handlebars straight, and see if you can move the wheel side to side. Try this at different points on the wheel. If you can, you probably have a damaged or worn out wheel bearing.

Balance would be my next guess. Then a bad tire.

The squirrilyness in turns combined with the wobble, especially if the wobble appears upon deceleration, makes me think bearing, tho. Did you ever notice the squirrilyness before?

rikacamcar
9th August 2009, 17:16
The simplest place to start is a check of your tire pressure. Low rear tire pressure or extra luggage/passenger can cause a high speed wobble.

Weo
9th August 2009, 17:58
In addition to the other suggestions, check the fork seals.

Tin Man 2
9th August 2009, 22:49
Did you remove your Front Fender as a Custom touch? How many miles on the bike? Tire Pressure? Fork Bearings? Lowering Kit? We need more info to narrow it down, A new wheel is the last thing you need if you havent wrecked the bike. Of course the shop would say your spokes were bad,that justifies their work.

canuck
4th September 2010, 11:56
old thread..first comment ever, but I had the same thing and the back wheel was out of alignment. take a couple of stright flat bars, one on either side of the bike with about a 4" block under either end. line it up to the back wheel and see if its pointing straight ahead. if not adjust the real axle on the chain tensioner bieing careful that the required adjust ments dont put too much tightness or loosenes on the chain. align first then tension the chain after with equal adjustments on either side. worked fo me.