PDA

View Full Version : I got a major problem

Chicago Nick
3rd December 2004, 16:07
Hello all,

I am in need of some advice. I was getting my bike ready for storage, and I the last thing I had to do was spray some flogging oil in the cylinders. The can has one of those 5 inch long pinpoint straws (like on a WD-40 can). I connected the straw to the sprayer, stuck the straw in the spark plug hole, and it fell off in my cylinder. I cannot see it so when I try using tweezers I am just stabbing aimlessly. I talked to the MoCo, and they want $350 to get it out. Any Ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

twinsporty
3rd December 2004, 16:09
It might help to put the bike in 5th and spin the tire slowly so that the piston is at TDC. This may allow you to see it, but getting it out might be tough.

Turbota
3rd December 2004, 16:11
It's plastic ... [If] it was me and I could not get it out, I would just start the bike and let it burn out. In my opinion, that bit of plastic will be completely vaporized within a couple of minutes of running. I really don't think you have a problem. It certainly is not going to damage metal parts.

But .... It's up to you

BigJim
3rd December 2004, 16:24
Nick,
If you have a heavy duty shop vac you could try sucking it out thru the sparkplug hole.
If that doesn't work you could get a mechanic's pick-up tool to try a grab it.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/OBJECTS/48300/48278.JPG
Snap-on, Harbor Freight Tools, and some auto parts stores sell 'em...they work pretty good!

Good luck!

gwcrim
3rd December 2004, 17:14
I'd try a hook made out of a coat hangar.

OldDen
3rd December 2004, 17:19
Hello all,

I am in need of some advice. I was getting my bike ready for storage, and I the last thing I had to do was spray some flogging oil in the cylinders. The can has one of those 5 inch long pinpoint straws (like on a WD-40 can). I connected the straw to the sprayer, stuck the straw in the spark plug hole, and it fell off in my cylinder. I cannot see it so when I try using tweezers I am just stabbing aimlessly. I talked to the MoCo, and they want $350 to get it out. Any Ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I would try some wheel bearing grease on the end of a straw or something. That way you can fish around for it and when the grease hits the straw it will stick to it. Something we used to do back in the early days when groping for an unseen object.

sportymark
3rd December 2004, 17:20
Straw with chewing gum on the end!?

thunderpaw
3rd December 2004, 22:48
Could have been the bike rebelling, sensing it was about to be assaulted with "flogging oil" lol!

Kim

Turbota
3rd December 2004, 23:21
Could have been the bike rebelling, sensing it was about to be assaulted with "flogging oil" lol!

Kim

:D :laugh :D :laugh :D

stevo
4th December 2004, 00:04
G'day Nick

Big Jims idea with a small thin led light that will go inside the plug hole

marco883
4th December 2004, 01:10
Hey Nick,
Had the same problem. See if you can borrow a bore scope to see it and rotate the motor to try and snag it. I don't think a vacuum would be a good idea GAS FUMES KABOOM! Good luck

Darhawk
4th December 2004, 03:39
I think I would follow BigJim's advice. Otherwise, you're old enough to learn how to tear down an engine........:D

Turbota
4th December 2004, 03:49
Hope you can get that plastic straw out of there, but, like I said before .... Once it's started and drivin a mile or two ..... There will be absolutly [no] leftovers of that plastic anywhere to be found in the cylinder. And that's a fact!

Moved On
4th December 2004, 06:50
Oh man that sucks... I don't think any of my ideas will work, but here's what I came up with... Using a magnet prpbably wouldn't work. Turning the bike upside down and shaking it probably wouldn't work. Filling the cylinder with water so the tube floats out probably wouldn't work.

Gary

dwardy
4th December 2004, 08:48
I dunno...I think picking the bike up and shaking it may just be the ticket. OR, you can get one of those machines that shrink you down to microscopic size, and just crawl in the spark plug hole and push the straw out.

...but seriously, a pair of long forceps and a flashlight will do it.

bplinson
4th December 2004, 08:56
you can get one of those machines that shrink you down to microscopic size, and just crawl in the spark plug hole and push the straw out.

You mean like that one on Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory??
:p

Seriously, I think that BigJim's idea is the best. Might take a while to find and grab it but it is a lot cheaper than $350.

txsporty
4th December 2004, 11:15
Go with Big Jim's Idea!!! :D

collinsb
4th December 2004, 11:33
Turbota has the answer! Go for a ride! The teenie tiny tube will vaporize at cylinder wall temperature! It is a petroleum product!
Billy

bbradley
4th December 2004, 13:08
If it is an 883 it sounds like a good reason to do a 1200 conversion. :D

dwardy
4th December 2004, 15:26
You mean like that one on Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory??
:p

I was thinking more along the lines of "The Fantastic Voyage".

vetteguy
4th December 2004, 16:25
This might be crazy but if none of the other ideas work maybe drain fluids (Gas) that might leak and get some friends to turn it (very carefully) upside down and let gravity do the work. Good Luck, Guy

collinsb
4th December 2004, 17:20
Call the Salvation Army to pick it up, and buy a new one! By Gawd!
Billy

gwcrim
4th December 2004, 19:58
OK, I'll admit I believe you can just ride it and nothing will be harmed. But there sure would be some byproducts left that might stick to the combustion chamber or something..... I'd try like heck to get it out.

Shark Doctor
4th December 2004, 22:42
LAST RESORT:

If you are a male over 50, see your physician for a screening colonoscopy. Tow the bike in a friend's trailer. Don't take the sedative. Pretend to be alseep. When the doc leaves before the procedure, snag the endoscope and insert it into the cylinder (of the bike), locate the straw, and use the endoscope to pull it out.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you wait just a little too long, you will be discovered leaving the examination room and you may have to abort the procedure... so to speak.

Did I mention this should be a last resort?!

willprevale
4th December 2004, 22:57
LAST RESORT:

If you are a male over 50, see your physician for a screening colonoscopy. Tow the bike in a friend's trailer. Don't take the sedative. Pretend to be alseep. When the doc leaves before the procedure, snag the endoscope and insert it into the cylinder (of the bike), locate the straw, and use the endoscope to pull it out.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you wait just a little too long, you will be discovered leaving the examination room and you may have to abort the procedure... so to speak.

Did I mention this should be a last resort?!

Brilliant :clap

stevo
4th December 2004, 23:14
so what have we learned today kiddies???????? :)

DON'T stick ya things in places they shouldn't be. :shhhh .......

I think there's something in that for all of us.. :wonderlan :tour

I don't like the just start it up idea...then again I work as an engine builder, so they're my babies. :wonderlan

Here's a possible scenario I just though of off the top of my head

If it didn't exit from the engine but stayed in the combustion chamber and melted, then ya have melted plastic inside ya combustion chamber which may attach itself to the cylinder wall, which then is in the ring lands and gums up ya rings................the rings don't seal properly in the area where the burnt plastic residue is sitting and ya start getting major blow by...............the breather system then can't keep up with the extra load and ya got oil spray all over ya engine.......the extra gas/heat goin down the side of the piston cause a hot spot on the piston and burns the oil out of that area and ya get metal to metal contact......stuffed piston and bore.....ya continue ridin and that metal from the piston/bore area goes thru the rest of ya engine...... :rolleyes:

Then ya gotta bring it to someone like me and spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to fix it properly..

and after ya tell me what ya did I call you a bloody idiot and relieve you of enough $$$$$ to keep me in beer for a month :drinkbeer :thinkbeer

and then I add the story to my list of "ya wont believe what this customer did" tales :smackh :headb

hillpope
4th December 2004, 23:56
I agree with stevo. Don't start it up without retrieving it first. I also would like to say that Bigjims idea is probably the best and quite easy... with a little patience. Hang in there, you'll get it. Otherwise, you are about to become very familiar with the inside of your engine.

Shark Doctor
5th December 2004, 00:57
My wife - yes, wife - hated the endoscope idea, but suggested using double-sided tape on the end of a flex straw...

Sounds as good as any other ideas we've suggested!!!

el jeffe
5th December 2004, 15:25
[QUOTE=Shark Doctor]My wife - yes, wife - hated the endoscope idea, but suggested using double-sided tape on the end of a flex straw...

Ya but what if THAT falls in there. I think the bearing grease is better idea.

flathead45
5th December 2004, 15:30
I think if everyone here on the xlforum puts our heads together and collectivly "wills" it out of there it sould come out on its own

chant after me , "out damn straw, out" keep the chant going for two days
let us know if this worked , ok?

Gone
5th December 2004, 17:48
I'd try lenght of light gauge solid core wire (bell wire would work) put a hook on it and go fishing (the insulation would keep the wilre from scratching anything) after a bit you should be able to move it over to where you can see it (piston at TDC) try to hook it with the light gage wire and pull it up against the spark plug hole. if you can get it up to the spark plug hole, grab it next with a piece of coat hanger (I use coat hangers for every thing) with a little hook in it the tube should fold and come out of the hole. Then again I have disasembled engines for a lot less -- just a peek to make certain. Taking a cylinder head off dosen't look like that big a deal.

Turbota
5th December 2004, 18:22
Jeeeeus .... 'Chicago Nick' with 1 total post has asked for help. He has now recieved at least 30 replies from members here that have attempted to give him help.

Have you seen any other posts from Chicago Nick? ... Maybe a thankyou for the help?

I didn't think so .... I doubt he's coming back.

Turbota
5th December 2004, 18:25
But, I might be wrong .....

AdO650
5th December 2004, 18:31
If you haven't got a manual get one.
Buy a top end gasket set for the bike.
then say to yourself
"Now's the time to really get to know my bike."

txsporty
5th December 2004, 18:47
Turbota,

He's probably got his motor all over the garage floor getting ready burn that Little Straw and thinking "God I hope I can put this Damn bike back together Again!!" :yikes :yikes

:D

Chicago Nick
5th December 2004, 21:26
Sorry Turbota, I have been out of town all weekend. Thank you all very much for your replies, I will try and get it out this coming weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out. Turbota, I'm not goin anywhere so dont worry. In fact I have been with the Forum for 9 months now (nickrupp in the old forum), I had to reregister so I picked a new name. This plac is great, I;ll be here foe a while. Thanks again everyone.

Nick

Turbota
5th December 2004, 22:07
Sooo Sorry! :)

willprevale
5th December 2004, 22:50
Put the bike away for a few days and don't worry about it. The answer will come to you.

works for me!

dabronco
9th December 2004, 04:30
#1: Piston at bdc
#2: Shoot air in cylinder so little plastic hose moves around where you can see it.
#3: Grab it with the mechanic's grabby thing described earlier.
#4: Only use WD-40 for removing tar from now on, or...buy it by the gallon and use a squirt oil can for it's application.

cantolina
9th December 2004, 14:23
Put the bike away for a few days and don't worry about it. The answer will come to you.

works for me!

Perhaps the sagest of advice....lol

Have to agree with an earlier post by AdO650...

If the grabby thing won't do it, get a manual and a set of ball-end hex wrenches.....go slow..it will be not nearly as hard as you think...

Good Luck!

skooter
9th December 2004, 16:13
:rolleyes: You could have had the head off and back on by now!

Chicago Nick
9th December 2004, 17:17
I still haven't got a chance to try Big Jims idea. I will let you guys know when I do. Thatks for all the replies though, I have more ideas then I could think of in a lifetime. Got another question, how hard is it to take off the head and remove it? Do I have to pull the whole motor out, or can I just take the head off?

Thanks,

Nick

skooter
9th December 2004, 17:37
Just take the carb and tank off then pull off the intake manifold and the offending exhaust pipe. Then the rocker boxes peal away in layers and then the head bolts come out. No big deal. It takes about an hour with the right tools. The gaskets are a little pricey but hey you learn from your mistakes. Don't know why you wanted to fog the cyclinders anyway. I don't do that unless I'm storing for a very long time.

Just make sure you consult someone before putting it back together. I'll walk you through it if your going that route or buy a factory manual you'll need it down the road sooner or later anyway.

Send me a private message if you decide to go this route. We'll get it done! try the other ideas first except the one about flipping the bike upside down and shacking! :laugh :headbang

Chicago Nick
9th December 2004, 17:49
Thaks a lot Skooter, I'll let you know.

Chuck
9th December 2004, 18:09
Thaks a lot Skooter, I'll let you know.

This thread is a classic. :laugh No offence Nick, any of us could have done this. I am waiting to see what happens. I can't believe you have to tear down engine. You ought to be able to snag it with these ideas. I would try all damn winter.
Good luck, you'll get it.

skooter
9th December 2004, 18:35
Chuck does have a point. Nick you do have all winter to play with it. I like the idea about turning the engine slowly to top dead centre With a good light you can't miss seeing it from that advatage point. Take your time and don't drop anything else down there! :headbang

The offer to help guide you through teardown still stands! But it will cost you in buying the right tools and gaskets.

Good Luck

AdO650
9th December 2004, 21:03
Take the head off!!!!!!!! :clap
Take it off :clap

Alll together now :clap :clap

skooter
9th December 2004, 21:06
:laugh :smiliesig :dancesmil :danceman :chtwo :lolsign :usa2

Darhawk
10th December 2004, 00:43
You guys get sicker by the minute.........:smackh

txsporty
10th December 2004, 01:42
Dar

You ain't seen nothin yet!!! :flasher

:spineyes :danceman :spineyes :danceman :spineyes :danceman :spineyes :danceman :spineyes :danceman :spineyes :danceman :spineyes :danceman :spineyes :danceman :spineyes :danceman :spineyes :danceman :spineyes :danceman :spineyes :danceman :spineyes :danceman :spineyes :danceman :spineyes :danceman :spineyes :danceman :spineyes :danceman :spineyes :danceman

:headb

:nosee

Broncodog
10th December 2004, 01:46
Aren't you glad you posted this Nick? :bump The ribs are free :D

AdO650
10th December 2004, 11:17
It'll be a laugh if you strip the heads off an can't see the straw anywhere, then discover it stuck between the fins of the cylinder..:laugh :laugh

skooter
10th December 2004, 16:03
Ohhhh!.....I would not want to be around to see that one. :headbang

flathead45
10th December 2004, 16:18
or maybe it flew under the workbench never to be seen again

I was thinking of making and selling those straw thingys in like ten packs or something cause they always get lost