PDA

View Full Version : Removing front wheel

Brad40
14th May 2007, 20:35
This is my first harley and i don't want to screw up. So my question is how do i remove the front wheel without messing crap up ? I own a 2000 custom with a spoked wheel. I am sorry for being a dummy but the front is nothing to play with. Removing to get tire mounted and i don't want to pay 70 when i can pay 20. Stealers get enough...

justdrew
14th May 2007, 20:57
The factory manual has a great description on how to do this.
More importantly, it'll tell you how to put it back on.
There's a trick or two to be had there.....11/16th drill bit? huh?
Take the $50 you would have spent on the removal and buy the manual, it'll pay for itself on your first job!
Get a jack, get the manual, and tear into it!

Gone
14th May 2007, 21:02
Get yourself a motorcycle jack, it makes life worth living.

kmm0000
14th May 2007, 23:50
Only trick I know is that with a 19" wheel, you need to remove the front fenter becasue the tire can't clear the fender mounting bolts, I don't know if this applies to the 21" wheel.

snowman
14th May 2007, 23:53
Another nice little trick is to have a folded piece of cardboard about 3"x5" to slide in between the brake pads when you remove the caliper assembly. Put the cardboard in between and let it hang out of the way. This way, no bleeding issues.....:geek:geek:geek

Oh yeah.... Remember the bike gets lighter in the front when the wheel is taken off so block the space between the rear tire and the ground....:banana :banana :banana