PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Engine screws

dotom
14th May 2007, 20:55
Hello everybody. I want to exchange my Engine Screws for chromed ones. Now I want to know if I can change them Screw by Screw, bring one out and put the chromed one instead or must I loose the engine covers and use a new gasket and exchange all Screws ??
I know that I must use a Torque wrench, I have a very good one from Hazet...
I could not find anything in the manuals about changing the ugly srews, so please help:-))
Thanks
Tom

Bruce
14th May 2007, 23:26
Hi Tom, I've replaced most of my stock bolts with the chrome smooth allen bolts. If you replace one at a time you'll be OK. If you buy one of the kits try to get one as close to your bike year that you can. The kit I got, some of the bolts were almost to short for some of the holes.I believe it was a Garner Denver kit.

tonyhds
15th May 2007, 03:07
Yes you can change out one at a time, just make sure each one is the same length.

dotom
15th May 2007, 10:38
Ive got a set from Gardner-Westcott, Builders Fastener Set for Sportsters 2004 up, so this will fit fine, I think....I was just worried if the screws will seal when I release the pression by pulling one out....

billib
15th May 2007, 12:08
you'll be fine - use a little neverseize on the threads though.

dotom
24th May 2007, 21:11
It worked out fine, only 2 Bolts were too long, but easy to cut to the right length....
And every screw seals fine, with a drop of blue Loctite and the right torque.