PDA

View Full Version : Shifter Leaking at Case

IronMick
19th April 2005, 03:01
I have a small leak where the shifter enters the case. I guess that means i need to replace the oil seal in there. I have not yet had that case cover off, so i am wondering what surprises await me.

I would need a new cover gasket and oil seal.

I imagine that i can remove the external hardware, remove the dozen or so bolts holding on the cover, tap the cover with a rubber mallot, then ....?

Is there stuff attached to the cover? Will stuff fall out? Whatever ...

Thanx.

dabronco
19th April 2005, 03:25
Does it leak while it's sitting? If so, your oil level is too high. It only holds 1 1/2 PINTS, and the level check hole is well below the shifter shaft. Besides, it's an ironhead and it's supposed to leak! That's how you can tell there's still oil in it!

woody95
19th April 2005, 03:38
Mick:
Had the same prob with mine last year changed seal and leak stopped. Should be no surpises it took about an hour.

Bob

boilermaker
19th April 2005, 04:19
Hey mick is that on you iron head?? if so check the bushing for the shifter shaft while your at it. not much more work to change it at the same time.

Gone
19th April 2005, 06:46
remember to loosen the primary chain tensioner, and possibly the 3 ball bearings from the clutch ramp. Mine jumped out, and tried to run away first time I pulled mine.

Gone
19th April 2005, 06:49
Besides, it's an ironhead and it's supposed to leak! That's how you can tell there's still oil in it!
LMAO...good one