PDA

View Full Version : Rubbermount_EFI XL 1200C Head Gasket

5-string
27th August 2009, 15:08
Have an 07 XL1200C with about 15k miles on it. It has started to leak around the top of the rear cylinder, and down onto the cooling fins. Is this "common" and if so, what's the most likely cause?

Funny, it didn't start until I ran the tread off the tires on a crosss-country trip. But these things are supposed to be able to run on long trips, ...right?

wilbur
27th August 2009, 15:23
Can you post a pic? Could be a gasket. Is it still running good? Also possible that the valve covers are leaking and oil is finding its way down.

SCAGNETTI
27th August 2009, 15:24
Is Your Bike Under Warranty? Is Your Bike All Stock? That Shouldn't Have Happened. Are You Positive That It Is A Head Gasket Leak And Not A Rocker Box Leak? AS ALWAYS 2 SECONDS TOO LATE ON THE POST ...

ParrotHead
27th August 2009, 15:30
I had something similar on my 06 at around the same number of miles, so I changed the head gasket. However, afterwards I was having thoughts that perhaps it was possibly debris from an exhaust leak rather than leaky head gasket. Of course I had that thought AFTER I put it together.

Assuming it is a head gasket, if your warranty is still good have them do the work. Otherwise, it was not that bad of a job. I chose to replace the base gasket while I had it apart so a ring compressor is recomended to make it easier to slide the piston back in the cylinder.

5-string
27th August 2009, 15:38
It runs perfectly.
It is completely stock,
It's still under warranty.
There is oil around the Rocker cover, and there is oil around the head gasket. It could be a rocker cover thing only, but the head gasket thing was the first thing that cought my eye. It actually HURT my eye to see it.

Cosmo Kramer
28th August 2009, 04:04
There is oil around the Rocker cover

Rocker covers leaking is common. Still under warranty then let them deal with it. My suggestion is that if it is the rocker cover...I would tell them to only "fix" the one that is leaking. I had my front leaking...they did both...next time I went on a ride I had the rear leaking. :doh

5-string
28th August 2009, 04:18
Good advice, Cosmo.

wilbur
28th August 2009, 05:31
Rocker covers leaking is common. Still under warranty then let them deal with it. My suggestion is that if it is the rocker cover...I would tell them to only "fix" the one that is leaking. I had my front leaking...they did both...next time I went on a ride I had the rear leaking. :doh
:iagree
Use the warranty if you have a good dealer. There isn't a good dealer here, so I end up doing the work myself.

ReddTigger
28th August 2009, 05:33
It runs perfectly.
It is completely stock,
There is oil around the Rocker cover, and there is oil around the head gasket. It could be a rocker cover thing only, but the head gasket thing was the first thing that cought my eye. It actually HURT my eye to see it.

Where are you located ?? I Might be able to help with dealership.

5-string
28th August 2009, 05:38
Reddtigger, thanks. I BELIEVE I have a good dealer here, but my rule is to know more than the dealer before taking it in, if you know what I mean. Looking more closely, it appears to be leaking ONTO the head gasket area from the rocker cover, so hopefully it will be a warranty repair of the seal?? I'll see.
Central Coast Cal is the area.

wilbur
28th August 2009, 06:02
Reddtigger, thanks. I BELIEVE I have a good dealer here, but my rule is to know more than the dealer before taking it in, if you know what I mean. Looking more closely, it appears to be leaking ONTO the head gasket area from the rocker cover, so hopefully it will be a warranty repair of the seal?? I'll see.
Central Coast Cal is the area.
You can confirm this by washing the bike clean. Start and run to normal operating temp. Dust the area lightly with talc powder. The source of the oil leak rears its ugly head!

5-string
28th August 2009, 06:12
Slick idea.... no pun intended.

ReddTigger
28th August 2009, 06:16
You can confirm this by washing the bike clean. Start and run to normal operating temp. Dust the area lightly with talc powder. The source of the oil leak rears its ugly head!
Another good trick is to use soft & Dri spray antiperspirant .. it'll go on clear, but once the bike is heated it turns white and is clearly visible for the leak (we use this at the dealership)

works like a charm.. and washes off easily.

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/01/70/00/06/0001700006804_215X215.jpg

wilbur
28th August 2009, 06:27
Another good trick is to use soft & Dri spray antiperspirant .. it'll go on clear, but once the bike is heated it turns white and is clearly visible for the leak (we use this at the dealership)

works like a charm.. and washes off easily.

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/01/70/00/06/0001700006804_215X215.jpg

Kewl!! That's one I hadn't heard about. Thanks Redd!

semjpm
28th August 2009, 06:53
One possibility is the oil seal on the return. One the rear jug there is a drain that goes between the rear head and the jug and then down through the jug to the crankcase. It is in the outer part of the head gasket and the o-ring dries out and leaks. The replacement head gaskets do not use the o-ring but have it built into the head gasket. Unfortunately, you have to pull the carb and intake manifold, the upper and lower rocker boxes, the head, both push rods and covers and do all of that without upsetting the base gasket. About 2 1/2 hours start to finish.

HD sells an upper gasket kit with all that you will need. A manual and a good torque wrench are essential.

SEMJPM

5-string
5th September 2009, 18:51
Twas the rocker cover, warranty repair, all is well.

THANKS