PDA

View Full Version : Choice of jacket

gardkarlsen
21st April 2005, 17:50
Hi

When I visited the States last year I went to the local HD store and I ended up buying a sort of Nylon/FXRG long jacket that works great when it is cold. But I also wanted a leather jacket and to start with I looked at the black leather jacket with flames on the arms. It was pretty cool but maybe a bit too much :) But I ended up buying the Speed leather jacket and I like it. It is comfortable and it looks good in my opinion. Most of the other guys at the HOG gatherings wear black of course so I do stand out in the crowd but I don't really mind. The zippered cuffs works pretty good but the gloves I have are a bit short so I do get a bit of draft in. I'm looking at buying a leather pants and I see that some of the pants have a zipper at the back so that you can connect them to some jackets. But this jacket does not have that functionality :frownthre

I don't really have any experience in keeping leather jackets look nice so if you have any good advice please let me know :rolleyes:

http://a1276.g.akamai.net/7/1276/734/infinite/www.harley-davidson.com/media/images/productphotos/MC/98144_03VM_M_19693.jpg

Malpaso
21st April 2005, 18:03
I don't really have any experience in keeping leather jackets look nice so if you have any good advice please let me know

Saddle soap and mink oil.

engine
10th May 2005, 00:40
When I bought my first leather jacket as a teenager, the sales person told me that a good way to break it in, is to wrap it up tight in a ball, tie it with string, and throw it under the wheels of a passing 18-wheeler.

Y2K
10th May 2005, 01:29
[QUOTE=gardkarlsen]

I don't really have any experience in keeping leather jackets look nice so if you have any good advice please let me know :rolleyes:
QUOTE]

These are great products,I have leather that is over 20 years old and still nice.
http://www.bee-natural.com/

boomer
10th May 2005, 22:32
Leather care tips:

If you can afford to, get some leather protectant (often as a spray or a tin of mink oil) that will help keep moisture out. As with many other items in life: You get what you pay for. Be sure to shop around for a quality leather product that won't damage the leather. You should always test the leather care product first in a small, less obvious area.

If you want to clean your leather, try to have it cleaned by hand and not a machine which may add unwanted chemicals to your leather garment. These chemicals can alter the leather's texture.

If you wear leather clothing often, and it is exposed to the elements (hot, sunny weather, rain or snow) on a regular basis, you probably should have the leather conditioned at least 4 times a year, if not more.

During the winter months you may get salt stains on your leather. The best way to remove a leather stain is to lightly wipe the area with a damp cloth. Do not rub too hard or the stain may embed itself deeper into the leather. Then let the leather air dry and the stain should disappear.

Grease or leather oil stains: Do not apply water to the stain! It will only worsen the problem. Simply wipe the surface stain away with a dry cloth and let the remainder absorb into the leather. The stain should disappear.

Leather storage: When you're not wearing your leather garment, you should keep it in a dark place that isn't subject to humidity or too much dryness. Usually a closet is the best place for it. Do not cover your leather product with an unbreathable material - such as plastic. When the temperature varies, there is the possibility that humidity gets trapped inside and leather may develop mildew. Cover leather product with a large cloth or any other breathable material.

Leather coat care: Keep your leather garment on a good coat hanger that is wide and padded. Leather is a material that stretches, it may distort and take the shape of the hanger, especially if the leather jacket is left hanging for a long time.