PDA

View Full Version : Vegan?

bsporty
20th May 2007, 01:49
Has anyone gone vegan here or know someone who is?I have been thinking about lookin into it.

rishnack
20th May 2007, 01:57
my brother and his buddy are vegans they seem to love it though the freind
has problems with kidney infections and imputancy (NO JOKE)
docs say its all the natural sugers from fruit (or they think) hes hard core raw food addict though, wont cook anything
after about a year kidneys went south but any kinda animal fat will make em both physically ill

bsporty
20th May 2007, 01:59
Wow.I didnt know all that.I cant be imputant, im a chic.I dont even think I spelled that right.

Deicer18
20th May 2007, 02:06
Meaning no disrespect, but animals were put on this planet for our enjoyment. And IMO, part of that enjoyment is eating them.:) But i need to cut back, for sure. I need more veggies, less red meat. But veggies tend to make my crohns disease flair up. Not a good thing. But now that my weight is over 225 (5'8") its time to try something. Maybe if I cut out the honey bun for breakfast that will help:o

rishnack
20th May 2007, 02:06
thats ok i prolly spelled it wrong to
but yeah he lost a truck load of weight and muscle mass to but he loves it,
they wont even eat cheese ? just mix in alotta greens and grains and such
oh and they eat twice the amount of food than a regular meat eater
they pretty much eat all day and lose weight,or worrry there losin to much

raysheen
20th May 2007, 02:27
my wife is a lacto-ovo vegetarian so I don't eat a lot of meat by default just because it's not around that much. But I'm FAR from a vegetarian and even further from a vegan :D

What are your main reasons for wanting to go vegan if I may ask?

bsporty
20th May 2007, 02:29
Meaning no disrespect, but animals were put on this planet for our enjoyment. And IMO, part of that enjoyment is eating them.:) But i need to cut back, for sure. I need more veggies, less red meat. But veggies tend to make my crohns disease flair up. Not a good thing. But now that my weight is over 225 (5'8") its time to try something. Maybe if I cut out the honey bun for breakfast that will help:o

I am not worried about eating all the cute little animals or anything like that.Its just that lately everytime I do have something animal to eat it kinda grosses me out.Especially red meat.eck.Dead flesh is just not so appetising and I was wondering how healthy a vegan diet is.Honey buns...mmmmmmm

raysheen
20th May 2007, 02:36
I am not worried about eating all the cute little animals or anything like that.Its just that lately everytime I do have something animal to eat it kinda grosses me out.Especially red meat.eck.Dead flesh is just not so appetising and I was wondering how healthy a vegan diet is.Honey buns...mmmmmmm
understood, that's pretty much the way my wife is...she doesn't have anything against people eating animals, she just doesn't really like it much herself. I think that vegetarian diets can be very healthy...vegans have always seemed a bit sickly to me. :o ...one thing to watch out for is your iron intake if you don't eat much red meat. Iron supplements aren't as readily absorbed as heme so you have to watch that. Other than that it can be a healty lifestyle and there is certainly no reason to force yourself to eat meat that you don't like as long as you are finding complete proteins, good fats, and iron elsewhere. (bit of an oversimplification of course)

xena
20th May 2007, 02:38
I know a few folks who are 100% vegetarians.
I've known all three for 25+ years. Honestly,
in all that time they have had more colds and
flu than anyone I know. You can cut out the
red meat if it grosses you out and still not be
a total veggie head.
I don't eat steak, roast beef, prime rib, or
any of that stuff. Once in a great while I'll
have a cheesebugga well done on the grill.
Try cutting the red meat if you want, and add
more chicken, fish, egg whites, cheese.
You'll still get plenty of protein without being
grossed out. :)

rider1951
20th May 2007, 02:43
I'm a lacto-vegetarian and have no health issues because of it. Vegans are real strict about having nothing that comes from animals. I find that too much work. Most veggies I know are pretty healthy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarianism

pquirk
20th May 2007, 02:47
In general it's a fairly healthy diet but it's HARD to get enough of all the essential amino acids unless you really know what to eat. Humans weren't meant to be vegans and our bodies rebel against the people who do it. They'll tell you they feel great, but as a whole they're some of the weakest most anemic folks I've even encountered. Keep in mind, healthwise there is a BIG difference between vegans and regular veggies. Animal protein is key :).

Brad
20th May 2007, 02:52
Did it for a few years. It was a lot of work to make sure I was getting enough of things like iron. Felt great though. I think it was because I was paying so much attention to making sure I was eating a balanced diet. Plus I was exercising a lot more as it was part of a focus on a healthy lifestyle. Gotta get back to that...

Brad
20th May 2007, 02:56
As a follow up... I think I could also do a omnivore diet and feel just as good. For me it's all about making sure I have balance. Which right now, I am lacking.

NoTrace34
20th May 2007, 02:58
I did it for 2 years back in school. My mom talked me into eating a steak on my birthday and it was over....even though it made me sick. During that 2 years I started to look anemic or something...it IS very hard to balance such a diet. I kinda think....if there is a god.....and he didnt want us to eat animals....he wouldnt have made them out of meat!

Brad
20th May 2007, 03:00
Favorite bumper sticker:

If God didn't want us to eat cows
He wouldn't have made them taste like steak!

cantolina
20th May 2007, 03:04
When I toured with the Wallflowers, our drummer decided to go Vegan................We were supporting the 10,000 Maniacs last tour, and he was very tight with Natalie Merchant...:smoke

He didn't completely understand that lifestyle, it seems, and wound up with an ambulance ride to the hospital....while on tour......

Humans are omnivores.....if you want to change to a Vegan,..fine, but understand the lifestyle changes that go WITH it......

bsporty
20th May 2007, 03:04
Well I know I couldnt give up cheese or milk, even though im lactose intolerant.I just would like to eat healthier without meat.

rider1951
20th May 2007, 03:09
Well I know I couldnt give up cheese or milk, even though im lactose intolerant.I just would like to eat healthier without meat.

Brandi

Start by cutting down or cutting out red meat. Be ready to explain to people why you're doing it. If that works for you then work on cutting out fish, chicken and other animals. Nothing wrong or unhealthy about it.

rishnack
20th May 2007, 03:19
vegitarian is an old indian word for" bad hunter"<----bumper sticker
is "one head light about" a bike?

raysheen
20th May 2007, 03:23
yeah...then you wouldn't be vegan...vegan is more of a whole philosophy than just cutting out meat. I think (if I'm understanding you correctly) that what you are considering is lacto-ovo vegetarianism...pretty much what I mentioned above and the most common type of vegetarian in the states...no meats, but eggs and milk consumed

From the Vegan Society

The word "veganism" denotes a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude — as far as is possible and practical — all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment. In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals.

It's the Fruitarians (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruitarianism) that you really have to watch out for :rolleyes:

spatial.hd
20th May 2007, 05:06
my wife is a lacto-ovo vegetarian so I don't eat a lot of meat by default just because it's not around that much. But I'm FAR from a vegetarian and even further from a vegan :D

Same here. Neither of us have any health problems. In fact, we don't get sick much at all. Having little kids around is probably far more detrimental to a person's health than a vegetarian diet. However... it took my wife about 7 years to figure out the right combination of foods and supplements to keep her energy level up. It's very important to make sure you still get all your vities and amino acids.

Moved On / My Own Choice
11th June 2007, 19:41
Brandi,

Jenn was a pseudo vegetarian for about 15 years or so (lacto-ovo plus fish).

As were all of the older girls in her family (mother, older sister, 2 younger sisters).

I even tried it with her for about 3 years.

but we both eventually got over it.

As did all of the sisters but 2 of em.

One's a sweetheart of a fruitcake, still won't eat meat for the "animal's" sake, but wears leather.

The other doesn't give 2 craps about the animals, but claims she doesn't like meat. Don't know how she'd know since she hasn't eaten any in 15 or so years herself.

Anyway, Jenn used to have some vegan acquaintences in undergrad. They were the most scrawny, sickly looking bunch we've ever seen.

Kev

cgp-1200R
11th June 2007, 19:57
I am not a vegan because I love animals, its because I HATE plants.

avnsteve
11th June 2007, 20:15
It's the Fruitarians (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruitarianism) that you really have to watch out for :rolleyes:

at least they chose an appropriate name...:laugh

fruits...:frownthre

Phaedrus
11th June 2007, 21:40
My wife, son and I have been vegetarians for 13 years (my sons entire life)
No health problems and would not go back to meat.
We do dairy and eat fish once a week, so I guess were not true vegetarians.
From what you have said on the subject, I would suggest that you do not go vegan, and start by cutting out red meat, and then chicken if you so wish.
There are lots of non meat alternatives and once you develope a few good receipes (like everyone does) it really is not a big deal.

Weo
11th June 2007, 21:53
There are all sorts of reasons why people go vegan. I am not, but have been VERY happy with the results of limiting my red meat intake to "palm size" per day or less. Additionally, I have started eating fresh food instead of frozen/canned/fast food... but that's another thread.

Here's an interesting fact... Our 20 foot intestines are needed for red meat digestion. If we didn't eat red meat we could get away with only a few feet of intestine. What this tranlates to in my experience, is that if I significantly reduce my red meat over the course of 7 or more days, my gut shrinks immensely, and I lose 5-10 lbs off the bathroom scale (I do LOVE steak:o ). This is not fat, this is week old red meat being packed and digested in your 20 feet of intestines. Some intestinal cancer patients that have had surgery in that area have noted similar observations.

Other opinions include milder... ummm... tastes... when... well... adult stuff... ;)

If you do go vegan, please take iron supplements. I take Centrum, as it is a multivitamin with iron. Iron is the mineral that our red blood cells use to transport oxygen, necesarry for cell life (sugar + oxygen = energy). Significant reductions in iron can lead to anemic symptoms. Additionally, it has been argued that iron rich veggies, like spinach, might contain iron absorption inhibitors... although from my understanding cooking spinach degrades its inhibitors. I often throw a coulple leafs of spinach in when I boil up veggies for my pasta sauces.

Clarinetcat
11th June 2007, 22:29
I need more veggies, less red meat... Maybe if I cut out the honey bun for breakfast that will help:o

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/DSC00050.JPG

Uhhhhh..... I hope the dog's name isn't honey bun. :laugh

My wife, son and I have been vegetarians for 13 years (my sons entire life)

No health problems and would not go back to meat.
We do dairy and eat fish once a week, so I guess were not true vegetarians.

Yeah... good thing fish isn't meat. http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m96/clarinetcat1/Smilies/blink.gif

So, basically you have NEVER actually been a vegetarian.
Apparently, you need to eat MORE meat.

The Brain Power Diet (http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=35322)

PROTEIN: Contains four calories per gram. Should supply 15 percent of your total calorie intake.

Needed to manufacture brain tissue, enzymes, neurotransmitters, and myriad other brain chemicals. Choose 5 ounces (women) to 8 ounces (men) animal protein from lean sources: skinless poultry, lean meats, organ meats; fatty fish such as salmon, herring, tuna, and sardines, plus other seafood; skim and low-fat dairy products.

Phaedrus
11th June 2007, 23:23
Clarinetcat

I was simply trying to respond to a fellow members question, and freely admitted that I ate fish.
I wasn't trying to wave a vegetarian flag or make myself better than anyone else, so kindly p $$ off

ed_in_az
12th June 2007, 00:01
I'm a carnivore, my wife was a vegetarian when we met. Early on in our marriage I introduced her to Prime Rib. She was impressed. While I still prefer eating properly cooked animals to pretty much anything else, we have both met in the omnivore middle and enjoy eating plants and animals. I am overall much more adventurous in my diet including sushi, kimchi, mangoes, oysters, and a few other things my wife won't get near.

... then there's junk food.:D

FOOD, it's all GOOD.:clap

For those that want to go a step beyond vegan, there's breathairianism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breathairian

Those folks don't harm any living things except themselves.:roflblack

Clarinetcat
12th June 2007, 00:28
Clarinetcat

I was simply trying to respond to a fellow members question, and freely admitted that I ate fish.
I wasn't trying to wave a vegetarian flag or make myself better than anyone else, so kindly p $$ off

I know you were responding to the question... It just struck me funny that a self-proclained vegetarian of 13 years freely admits to eating meat every week.

Anyways, brandi... modifying or changing the types of meat (and portion size) you eat on a regular basis might be more beneficial than cutting out meat all together.

Better yet, maybe you should check with your doctor or a professional dietician if you are serious about improving your dietary health.

raysheen
12th June 2007, 21:09
this is pretty much my situation.... :D :laugh

t698JBU9K0o

Y2K
12th June 2007, 22:41
Eat Beef eat Beef it's a real good food....eat beef eat beef if you're in the mooooooood :banadevi

Give me a big O'l rare steak and a baked Idaho Russet smothered in butter and sour cream anyday! :D

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d173/y2keglide/SteakRecipeMarchandDeVin4_big.jpg

Danny3nose
12th June 2007, 23:05
My roommate Gump is a vegan, and that scrawny bastard has the WORST gas out of any human being I know. He does get sick often, but he was sickly before he was a vegan anyway. I will admit, though, some of the stuff he cooks up is pretty good. It's funny how much trouble he will go through to avoid eating meat, cheese, etc, but then tries to make everything taste like meat!

Just like anything, moderation is the key. I love my steak!

racerwill
12th June 2007, 23:11
I prefer to just feed all those veggies to the cow then eat the cow.......

Beef! it's what's for dinner.

Ww

melcheld
12th June 2007, 23:19
Brandi,

I haven't seen it posted yet you I just wanted to throw out there that being a true vegan means giving up ALL animal products, not just food. Sooo... get ready to toss you leather jacket and boots, saddle bags, or anything else in which the materials or manufacturing process involves animals. Like others have said, it is a severe lifestyle change, not a change in diet.

My girlfriend was a vegetarian for about 3 years (2 of which I was dating her). I can't tell you how many times I drove past my fav BBQ joint or burge place on the way to a restaurant with "more options". She finally gave up on it about 8 months ago and that day was one of the most glorious I've had. Please be aware that if you have someone in your life who doesn't share your enthusiasm it can create tension. Food is a defining part of any culture and threats toward that can be met with resistance (i.e. fight with you S.O. as to why we always have to go somewhere SHE can get a great meal and I have to make compromises- I'm sure any BBQ shack can whip up a chef's salad:) )

If you are serious though, do what others have said and start slow by cutting out red meat. You're doing yourself a favor either way as its not good for you to begin with.

Good luck,

Luke

P.S. Tofu is like eating squishy air. I don't care how the hell you season or cook it- squishy air!

Hot Rod Sporty
12th June 2007, 23:30
Damn, Melcheld, you're beatin' me to the punch all over the place!...

As some have said, Veganism is a total philosophy, which means NO LEATHER or any other products that are made of anything derived from animals.....no down comforters, no glue, NO LEATHER :yikes , no cheese puffs, you gotta start wearing plastic shoes, no butter on your popcorn, NO LEATHER.....

Is it obvious that I've got a thing for women wearing leather?????

Eat what you like...if red meat is grossing you out, follow that feeling.....

BTW don't even get me started on the MILITANT vegans. I lived in Memphis for 6 years and there were a bunch of instances of vandalism on restaurants, grocery stores, etc. by militant vegans. They'd jeer you as if you were wearing a mink coat with bald eagle feathers on it for wearing leather shoes...

Weo
13th June 2007, 00:42
P.S. Tofu is like eating squishy air. I don't care how the hell you season or cook it- squishy air!

:laugh My friend tried to "suprise" me by making some Pad Thai (I think thats how its spelled) with "healthy" tofu noodles... I thought I was chewing on my bike tire.:redmad Overzealous swedes.:p

I do like the tofu chunks in that japanese soup I get at the Japanese restaurants.. that is tofu right?

ZenBiker
13th June 2007, 01:09
I do like the tofu chunks in that japanese soup I get at the Japanese restaurants.. that is tofu right?

Yep, in miso soup, that's tofu.

Tofu is really good when it's fried up the way some Chinese restaurants do it, but I could never figure out how to duplicate.

bsporty:
I've known lots of vegans and vegetarians. The vegans are skinny and sick, and the vegetarians are often overweight because they just eat alot of french fries and other fried foods.

If you decide to do it, the trick is to actually learn about nutrition so you know how to eat properly. Of course, that's the real trick to eating healthy whether you're vegetarian or not.

raysheen
13th June 2007, 11:26
Yep, in miso soup, that's tofu.

Tofu is really good when it's fried up the way some Chinese restaurants do it, but I could never figure out how to duplicate.

Just as a side note you can make that fried tofu by either a) deep frying extra firm tofu or b) putting about 1/2" of oil in a cast iron (or non-stick) skillet and frying it up for a few minutes on each surface.
it's really not that good for you that way, but I love it. I use canola oil for its higher smoke point and it's a bit better for you, but I think most chinese restaurants use peanut oil.

the tofu in miso soup is generally not of the firmer varieties...sometimes it's even "silken" depending on where you get it

It takes a while to figure out good ways to prepare tofu, but once you have a few recipies it gets much easier.

phantom
13th June 2007, 12:04
If dead meat grosses you out,try eating it alive.Thats what they did back in the Caveman's day.And look where they are now,they got their own TV show!!

ZenBiker
13th June 2007, 14:55
If dead meat grosses you out,try eating it alive.Thats what they did back in the Caveman's day.And look where they are now,they got their own TV show!!

Yea but they're all dead.

Clarinetcat
13th June 2007, 14:58

Ever see Dances With Wolves? Wind In His Hair cut the meat off a freshly killed buffalo and offered it to Lieutenant Dunbar to eat...

Bloody and raw, and still warm!!!

http://danceswithwolves.net/images/photo_dww.jpg

Prebs
13th June 2007, 14:59
If I couldn't eat meat I wouldn't know what to eat:frownthre

Gone
13th June 2007, 15:37
Oh hell, shut up and gimme a cheeseburger!

Weo
13th June 2007, 16:31
Here's some meat for ya!

http://www.sixwise.com/images/articles/2005/06/29/mouseloaf.jpg

OK, while trying to find some interesting insect recipe's to bring some more silly facts to this thread, I came across the FDA's Food Defect Level booklet http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/dalbook.html#CHPT3 after reading http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/05/06/29/how_many_insect_parts_and_rodent_hairs_are_allowed _in_your_food.htm. The funny thing is that the studies list mostly non-meats. :laugh

Here's a sample:

PEANUT BUTTER

Insect filth (AOAC 968.35) Average of 30 or more insect fragments per 100 grams

Rodent filth (AOAC 968.35) Average of 1 or more rodent hairs per 100 grams

Grit (AOAC 968.35) Gritty taste and water insoluble inorganic residue is more than 25 mg per 100 grams

DEFECT SOURCE: Insect fragments - preharvest and/or post harvest and/or processing insect infestation, Rodent hair - post harvest and/or processing contamination with animal hair or excreta, Grit - harvest contamination

SIGNIFICANCE: Aesthetic

TOMATOES, CANNED

Drosophila fly (AOAC 955.46) Average of 10 or more fly eggs per 500 grams

OR

5 or more fly eggs and 1 or more maggots per 500 grams

OR

2 or more maggots per 500 grams

DEFECT SOURCE: Pre-harvest and/or post harvest and/or processing insect infestation

SIGNIFICANCE: Aesthetic

whispanic
13th June 2007, 16:55
My chick is a Vegetarian, but not a vegan.

I think Veganism is dangerous and ill advised.

It goes against everything that is nature. I consider it a diet of luxury.

Ive been without many times in my life and there have been points where I dont care what moral road I was taking I would have killed for a glass of milk or sliver of cheese.

I understand the moral view points of most REAL Vegans, but again I got back to diet of luxury.

Most Vegans I know are sickly or survive of high food volumes and a handfull of pills to get by.

When I explain that many of the nutrients in those pills are made up of sea creatures I get a "oh" response.

Its near impossible to avoid animal products in one form or fashion.

Now that I have said that....

It can be done, but it requires and educated person to do it right.

I think its too much and I have seen 1st hand the harm it can bring on the body.

But on a light note - if in Austin TX take a look at Veggie Heaven on Guadalupe for all you fine veggie dining!

Adios

Reaper6
13th June 2007, 18:57
I have a friend who has been vegan for a long time. Very tough to do. True vegans won't leather or anything made from animals, (we're talking plastic shoes here.) Won't wear silk because it belongs to the worms that produce it. Won't eat honey. Organically grown vegetables (which are more expensive). Has to take supplements because of certain deficiencies and had a hell of a tough time getting pregnant because something wasn't right due to diet.

i sure as hell couldn't or wouldn't do it. Too tough and weird for me. But to each their own and respect to all.

Sleeper
13th June 2007, 19:53
BTW don't even get me started on the MILITANT vegans. I lived in Memphis for 6 years and there were a bunch of instances of vandalism on restaurants, grocery stores, etc. by militant vegans. They'd jeer you as if you were wearing a mink coat with bald eagle feathers on it for wearing leather shoes...

Ya know, I never expected you to be a mink coat guy. :D

Vegan, give me a knife, fork, and a ball-peen hammer. :laugh

Hot Rod Sporty
13th June 2007, 20:01

Had to get rid of it.....the PETA folks had a FILE on me!!!! :laugh :laugh :laugh

:smoke

Mischka
28th April 2008, 17:19
Has anyone gone vegan here or know someone who is?I have been thinking about lookin into it.

O.K. I'm way behind. I never went in the Health and Fitness Forum before today. So I was wondering, now that almost a year has past, what are you eating? How do you feel?

My Hubby and I have been vegetarians for 20 years. We made the switch when we moved from a small mountain town in Colorado to L.A. I think it gave us a feeling of control. We were vegans for awhile, but then we moved to Europe and the cheeses they had were just too much to resist. Now we're back in the U.S. We have been feeding our dogs eggs a couple of times a week and one day we looked in the fridge for breakfast and geez, we couldn't resist the eggs. Now we're lacto-ovo vegetarians.

No matter what you eat, I recommend you make sure to eat a variety of foods. You may want to keep a food dairy to see what you really are eating. When I started mine, I was stunned that I could go through an entire day and hardly eat any vegetables.

Remember no diet's perfect for everyone. In November I went to the doc and found out my blood pressure was high. I refused to go on meds (why take a medicine with lots of side effects, when I didn't feel bad to begin with). Instead, I started looking at what I ate. The shock was how much sodium I was eating. Watch out for things like organic soup and vegi products, like vegi sausages, etc. I'm also trying to reduce my drinking, but I just can't give up good beer.

Good Luck with whatever you decide,

Mischka

loki03xlh
28th April 2008, 17:43
Just as a side note you can make that fried tofu by either a) deep frying extra firm tofu or b) putting about 1/2" of OIL in a cast iron (or non-stick) skillet and frying it up for a few minutes on each surface.

But do you use regular or sythetic oil?

Mischka
28th April 2008, 17:49
But do you use regular or sythetic oil?

I use canola with toasted dark sesame oil when I cook tofu. :p I'm considering switching my bike to synthetic oil when I have the 5,000 mile check done.

Simon
29th April 2008, 17:51
As some folks in here have already pointed out, becoming a vegan does not seem to be your main concern, as you are mostly interested in modifying your diet, rather than living a philosophy. I have a friend who is a very strict vegan, and is not militant about it. He is very healthy, but he is also rather thin. However....Bill Pearl and Andreas Cahling, who both won Mr. Universe titles, have proved that you CAN be a vegetarian and also be extremely fit. It's all about nutrition, which most people are not willing to learn enough about when it comes to modifying the "general" style of eating. I am not a vegetarian myself, and enjoy a nice steak on occasion, but I do bodybuild and I have reduced my intake of red meat significantly. My reasons for this are primarily health-related. Meat tends to stay in your system for a long time, and a diet that is overly rich in meat can cause problems. Also, in these days of corporate farming and ranching, a lot of meat that is not "organic" has chemicals in it, from what these large agri-businesses feed their cattle. Among these are steroids and growth hormones. (It's no accident that kids today are physically larger and mature sooner than they used to). It pays to shop carefully. Bottom line: improving one's diet and regular exercise pays great dividends, but it does take discipline. Final note: to the person who mentioned he had Crohn's disease, you might benefit by checking into probiotics.

jpenney
29th April 2008, 18:24
I am recently omnivorous after 10 years of being vegetarian. In the last few months I have noticed absolutely NO change in my overall health.

When I was in college I was vegan, quit drinking, and quit doing drugs. I got down to my slimmest weight and felt GREAT. I was on my bicycle, skateboard or inlines constantly. I was probably getting in 20 miles a day on a BMX style bike going from spot to spot to bike or skate.

The single point cases made against veggie/vegan diets are just useless anecdotes. For every sickly vegan I can show you 300 blubbery meat eaters. Veganism does require some thought but even simple dishes likes red beans and brown rice supply a complete protein. Between powerhouse combos like that and yeasty items (even sprinkle on nutritional yeast) it's easy to keep proteins and amino acids where they should be.

I gained weight over the time of being vegetarian because I found so much great food to eat! By restricting meat, I force myself to explore everything else. And then I ate it all!You won't be limite in your flavors or choices. You may have to be creative when ordering out but it usually ends up really good.

RON BAYLESS
24th October 2008, 07:45
In general it's a fairly healthy diet but it's HARD to get enough of all the essential amino acids unless you really know what to eat. Humans weren't meant to be vegans and our bodies rebel against the people who do it. They'll tell you they feel great, but as a whole they're some of the weakest most anemic folks I've even encountered. Keep in mind, healthwise there is a BIG difference between vegans and regular veggies. Animal protein is key :).

I am a RAVE diet vegetarian.I ate meat all my life.I loved meat.My wife and i would grill and many times the whole meal was just meat with meat as a dessert.September 10th i changed to the rave vegetarian lifestyle.I feel better than I have felt in at least 20 years.I eat any time i am hungry and have still lost 15 pounds with almost no exercising.Exercisign is part of the RAVE lifestyle plan, but i admit i havent been faithful on that part.I will certainly get many pople here saying bad things to me, but human beings were never meant to be carnivores.Give is this day our daily bread.Not give us this day a rib basket and a red draw.Try the RAVE plan and you will be healthier,leaner,more energetic, and eating the way God intended you to.

RON BAYLESS
24th October 2008, 07:47
I am recently omnivorous after 10 years of being vegetarian. In the last few months I have noticed absolutely NO change in my overall health.

When I was in college I was vegan, quit drinking, and quit doing drugs. I got down to my slimmest weight and felt GREAT. I was on my bicycle, skateboard or inlines constantly. I was probably getting in 20 miles a day on a BMX style bike going from spot to spot to bike or skate.

The single point cases made against veggie/vegan diets are just useless anecdotes. For every sickly vegan I can show you 300 blubbery meat eaters. Veganism does require some thought but even simple dishes likes red beans and brown rice supply a complete protein. Between powerhouse combos like that and yeasty items (even sprinkle on nutritional yeast) it's easy to keep proteins and amino acids where they should be.

I gained weight over the time of being vegetarian because I found so much great food to eat! By restricting meat, I force myself to explore everything else. And then I ate it all!You won't be limite in your flavors or choices. You may have to be creative when ordering out but it usually ends up really good.

YEP!!!! I agree with you 110%.

RON BAYLESS
24th October 2008, 07:50

Vegan, give me a knife, fork, and a ball-peen hammer. :laugh

Those are not vegans, those are freaks.

BillSmith
24th October 2008, 08:16
Read through the thread and didn't see anyone mention that when removing meat from your diet, you MUST take care to consume vegetable matter that can provide the needed 23 aminos for protein production. Seems simple on the surface, just eat beans and rice or equivalents. In practice, not always attainable.

Personally, I'm on the carnivore side of the table.

Vegetarian is an Apache word for...

lousy hunter.

goinsideways136
24th October 2008, 09:54
im a meatatarian. buahahahahaha vegans beware!!!

misterT
24th October 2008, 10:45
If a Vegan wanders out in the woods would a bear refuse to eat them? Seriously eating a lot of vegetables is definately good for you. But cutting all animal protein out is asking for serious health problems. Every Vegan I have known was also very sickly, scrawny, and weak.

toe
24th October 2008, 10:57
It doesn't take much intelligence to sneak up on a plant........

:laugh

RIORoosen
24th October 2008, 11:12
This might not be P.C. ...but I have never been able to understand the desire to be a vegatarian of vegan or whatever your calling it these days.
There has got to be a reason that we have both incisors and molars in our mouths...we were meant to eat meat!! If it were not for technology and our recent ability to find any kind of vegtable or meat subsititute (created with technolgy) in a grocery store this would not be an issue.
It's a joke to me...a fashion statement even...a passing fad. I'm never more frustrated than when I'm out to dinner with someone who can't look further down the menu than the salad section! :doh
If you don't like meat, eat fish...don't like fish eat fowl...you can't honestly tell me you don't like beef, or chicken, or pork or deer or rabbit or pheasant or duck or goose or...etc etc etc?
Damn...now I'm hungry!! :D
PS: any 'you' statement made above was not a direct attack on the author of this thread, just a you in general! :)

Ender
24th October 2008, 11:20
We didnt get to the top of the food chain by not eating animals, its beyond me why anyone whould want to go against their genetic codeing. Just my two cents.

goinsideways136
24th October 2008, 12:20
i think im going to go cook some super greasy bacon and let the grease drip into my mouth and then for supper a super bloody steak that was breathing an hour before. i love meat. vegans are the weirdest people ive ever met and we dont get along...i argued with a pale skinny a$$ vegan who was telling me about animal cruelty and i told her i shoot animals for fun and she left me alone. she must have thought i was the devil...

MNewYork
24th October 2008, 12:35
I’m no vegan, but a few months ago my girlfriend and I went on a cruise. After a few days of watching people gorge themselves at the all-you-can eat buffet we decided to make some changes (right there while on the cruise). We decided to cut down on bread (people where eating rolls like it was their last day on earth), pasta and red meat. It was more of an experiment at the time- after quitting smoking three years ago I knew I’d put on a little weight (about 10 pounds) and although I was ok with t, it still pissed me off.

So began the experiment – over the last three months we’ve both lost at least ten pounds. We’ll still have a steak or a little pasta once in while but for the most part, we eat veggies, fish and chicken. Everyone’s system is different and I guess there’s no guarantee about anything, but I’m sold on this approach – I feel better in general (this is not my imagination) and my weight is back to where it was when I was a smoker (just under 150). Couldn’t be a vegan – don’t like the rules and absolutes, but eating less red meat, starchy foods (almost none) has made a big difference for both of us.

Jackster
24th October 2008, 13:16
I would never do it. I like meat way too much. What other reason would cows, pigs and chicken have been created? Here is a pretty good article on the subject.

http://www.starchefs.com/features/food_debates/html/issue_01.shtml

PaddyOFurniture
24th October 2008, 13:26
I'm all about PETA!!

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

Mmmmmmmmmm Meat....

superwarden
24th October 2008, 13:30
Have you ever seen a fat vegetarian? I know I haven't.

The only bad thing about a vegetarian diet is you will have to trade your sporty for a Vespa scooter :)

RIORoosen
24th October 2008, 13:39
[QUOTE=superwarden;1538799]Have you ever seen a fat vegetarian? /QUOTE]

Have you ever seen a happy one! :laugh

It's gotta piss a vegatarian off sitting next to me at a resteraunt hearing me order the Alaskan King Crab Legs and then having to tell the waiter that they would like a field green salad with extra croutons and walnuts! :doh

reblu
24th October 2008, 13:43
hehe no way ,,,,, i like my meat !

Moved On / My Own Choice
24th October 2008, 13:52
human beings were never meant to be carnivores.Give is this day our daily bread.Not give us this day a rib basket and a red draw.Try the RAVE plan and you will be healthier,leaner,more energetic, and eating the way God intended you to.

OMG that is such horseshyte.

When I meet my creator I'll check and see what he "intended"

but if I were the faithful type I'd probably interpret the whole "loaves and fishes" incident as endorsement to eat meat.

Good lord... not meant to eat... oy fecking vey :rolleyes:

As for those who claim vegetarianism is healthier and meat eaters are fat or whatever, that's a pretty dumb stance too.

People get fat by eating TOO MUCH and not exercising enough PERIOD (yeah, yeah, some medications can contribute as can differences in metabolic rate). Bottom line it's calories in vs. calories burned, and you can get those calories from carbs a lot easier than proteins.

I'm not saying people should or should not be veggie-terrorists or vegans or whatever - but whatever you choose, seek balance that's all.

RIORoosen
24th October 2008, 14:12
Try the RAVE plan and you will be healthier,leaner,more energetic,...

I tried the RAVE plan, but all I got were these little pills with :) on them, certainly felt a lot more energetic!! ...but healthier...no certainly not! :D

reblu
24th October 2008, 14:18
I am a RAVE diet vegetarian.I ate meat all my life.I loved meat.My wife and i would grill and many times the whole meal was just meat with meat as a dessert.September 10th i changed to the rave vegetarian lifestyle.I feel better than I have felt in at least 20 years.I eat any time i am hungry and have still lost 15 pounds with almost no exercising.Exercisign is part of the RAVE lifestyle plan, but i admit i havent been faithful on that part.I will certainly get many pople here saying bad things to me, but human beings were never meant to be carnivores.Give is this day our daily bread.Not give us this day a rib basket and a red draw.Try the RAVE plan and you will be healthier,leaner,more energetic, and eating the way God intended you to.

:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh
Did you ever think why we have carnivour teeth ??? Eating the way god intended you to :doh:doh:doh are you serious ???? cos im not keen on the bible but never hear there was a menu on it too !

Maniac72
24th October 2008, 14:22
Kev, gotta agree with ya. Most vegies I have seen are pasty, white, skinny mofo's with no idea how good a steak is. Most people are fat because they lack the fortitude, and ballz to get up and do some physical exercise. BTW this is a funny way to say it.
veggie-terrorists

superwarden
24th October 2008, 14:26
This has turned into some dam funny stuff I must say.

Kev, thanks for the laugh and I definitely agree.

By the way, I will check my bible for the soup of the day and get back to you all :)

daggar rider
24th October 2008, 14:30
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll237/oldskool8/diehippydie.jpg :):):):):):)

Maniac72
24th October 2008, 14:35
I beleive the 11th Commandment has something to do with food and beer, a very obscure text due to the fact that Moses had a mouthful of goat meat and wine while speaking it. I will peruse the ancient texts and let you all know what I find out.:smoke

Moved On / My Own Choice
24th October 2008, 14:39
Kev, gotta agree with ya. Most vegies I have seen are pasty, white, skinny mofo's with no idea how good a steak is. Most people are fat because they lack the fortitude, and ballz to get up and do some physical exercise. BTW this is a funny way to say it.
veggie-terrorists

Two related stories.

In college my wife (Jenn) spent a little time helping the Temple University karate club. She broke the arm of a scrawny, pale, male vegan blocking one of his punches. SHE WAS A VEGITARIAN AT THE TIME (well, a fish and dairy eatin' one).

Shortly after 9/11, Jenn's next youngest sister decided to do her part and dropped out of college to join the marines. Girl was a 6' 150-170 lbs. of muscle vegetarian when she joined - but a meat eater by the time she got through boot and MCT.

Neither have gone back to their veg-head ways.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll237/oldskool8/diehippydie.jpg :):):):):):)

hey, hey, easy there skippy this yuppie-biker-hippie-martial artist don't take to kindly to such sentiment. ;)

Left arm

http://www.gigabikes.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10081/TatDead.jpg

Moved On / My Own Choice
24th October 2008, 14:40
I beleive the 11th Commandment has something to do with food and beer, a very obscure text due to the fact that Moses had a mouthful of goat meat and wine while speaking it. I will peruse the ancient texts and let you all know what I find out.:smoke

:laugh:laugh:laugh :clap:clap:clap

What's the Ben Franklins quote on this subject

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"

or something like that.

daggar rider
24th October 2008, 14:43
Two related stories.

In college my wife (Jenn) spent a little time helping the Temple University karate club. She broke the arm of a scrawny, pale, male vegan blocking one of his punches. SHE WAS A VEGITARIAN AT THE TIME (well, a fish and dairy eatin' one).

Shortly after 9/11, Jenn's next youngest sister decided to do her part and dropped out of college to join the marines. Girl was a 6' 150-170 lbs. of muscle vegetarian when she joined - but a meat eater by the time she got through boot and MCT.

hey, hey, easy there skippy this yuppie-biker-hippie-martial artist don't take to kindly to such sentiment. ;)

Left arm

http://www.gigabikes.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10081/TatDead.jpg

uhhhhh ya got some sortta smudge on yr arm not sure what it is, looks like at one point it mighta passed as a tat :laugh:laugh:laugh

bigjnsa
24th October 2008, 14:44
Now if I could learn how to cook like an Indian, I'd probably drop meat too. I hit the local Indian buffet once or twice a week and everything is vegan.

Moved On / My Own Choice
24th October 2008, 14:49
uhhhhh ya got some sortta smudge on yr arm not sure what it is, looks like at one point it mighta passed as a tat :laugh:laugh:laugh

:doh :laugh :boxing

Moved On / My Own Choice
24th October 2008, 14:50
Now if I could learn how to cook like an Indian, I'd probably drop meat too. I hit the local Indian buffet once or twice a week and everything is vegan.

SERIOUSLY - VEGAN?

I've had some good Vegetarian Indian food (lots of chick peas and currys etc), but also a LOT of non-veg-head stuff - lots of chicken, lamb, goat.

Plus dairy, definitely use dairy.

bigjnsa
24th October 2008, 14:53
Its a completely vegan buffet and you'd be hard pressed to think its not. Even their Condori chicken isn't chicken, its tofu. I swear it tastes just the same as chicken.

Moved On / My Own Choice
24th October 2008, 15:01
Its a completely vegan buffet and you'd be hard pressed to think its not. Even their Condori chicken isn't chicken, its tofu. I swear it tastes just the same as chicken.

Cool... when done right there's nothing wrong with that.

Bean curd is good food too.

daggar rider
24th October 2008, 15:12

heres my question, if you want something that taste like chicken why don't you eat chicken? its like wanting a harley and buying a kawasaki maybe simmilar and they may do sordda the same things but its not the same

Phaedrus
24th October 2008, 15:20
heres my question, if you want something that taste like chicken why don't you eat chicken? its like wanting a harley and buying a kawasaki maybe simmilar and they may do sordda the same things but its not the same

Not really a good analogy.
There are lots of reasons that people choose not to eat meat.

-Ethical, they don't agree with factory farming methods
-Health, they don't like all the chemicals that are used to fatten the animals
-Enviromental, If all the water and land used for feeding animals was just used to feed people, it would be better for the earth, and of course there's all of that manure and extras gasses if you know what i mean.

I'm not suggesting that everyone should stop eating meat, but to each his own.:)

Indianboy
24th October 2008, 15:30
I'm not vegan, but I have been vegetarian for about 15 years. I haven't experienced any problems from it (especially none in the potency dept., thank goodness!) I do eat eggs & cheese and stuff, so I guess I'm what they call ovo-lacto. One thing about it is that it has become a lot easier because so many companies make great meatless stuff now. And most restaurants have decent vegetarian options too. Boca burgers are great, and their italian sausages are pretty good too! Trader Joe's sells tons of veggie stuff and most supermarkets have stuff too. Only thing is that it can be expensive, but it's nice that it's not just tofu anymore. I have to admit that I do occasionally eat fish too. Good luck.

Moved On / My Own Choice
24th October 2008, 15:57
-Enviromental, If all the water and land used for feeding animals was just used to feed people, it would be better for the earth, and of course there's all of that manure and extras gasses if you know what i mean.

But it IS being used to feed people... ;)

Matter is neither created or destroyed, it only changes form.

And as for this better for the earth crap, I'm not buying it.

The earth is a rock and doesn't care if things live on it or not.

;)

daggar rider
24th October 2008, 16:01

I'm not suggesting that everyone should stop eating meat, but to each his own.:)

ethical, get farm raised food, they are happier before you chop there head off

health, get free range food, they are only fed natural or healthy feed

enviromental, i disagree with this compleatly, animals where hear first so how would it be better, seems that everyone always says the earth was better before ppl showed up....but then again i wasn't around then :geek

i am however a member of PETA

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals:clap

jester
24th October 2008, 16:33
I have a better way of going Vegan.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1339/851336957_23255de569.jpg?v=0

Maniac72
24th October 2008, 16:45
[QUOTE=Kev M;1538877]Two related stories.

Left arm

I saw a vegan break his arm trying to lift a hefty chunk of steak into his face, I assume he was to weak to lift the meat and went to a celery stalk or something. Well not really,,,,,, but it briefs well.

I have nothing againt vagians but don't try to press the ways on others, you will get the door slammed in your face just like one of those door to door religous salesmaen.

Moved On / My Own Choice
24th October 2008, 16:57
I have nothing againt vagians

:laugh :laugh :laugh

celtic
24th October 2008, 17:42
*This isn't directed to anybody in this thread, just a general statement.*

I have never gone vegetarian or vegan, but yes I know people who are/have.

Quite a few of them I view the same as I do straight-edge folks.

Unless I've eaten a meal with you, why exactly should I know that you're a vegan/veggie/etc?

I guess my point is, STFU about it.

Eat/drink what you want...don't be all preachy. Nobody cares unless they ask.

If you want to be healthy, GREAT!

But realize that the only healthy way to live is by eating a variety of nutritional foods in moderation and getting enough vitamins/minerals/fatty acids.

Oh, and moderate exercise is good too.

When will people realize that there is no magic pill? There is no magic diet?

Eat healthy foods and eat junky food moderately and get exercise.

That's the secret.

/Rant off.

RON BAYLESS
24th October 2008, 23:59
OMG that is such horseshyte.

When I meet my creator I'll check and see what he "intended"

but if I were the faithful type I'd probably interpret the whole "loaves and fishes" incident as endorsement to eat meat.

Good lord... not meant to eat... oy fecking vey :rolleyes:

As for those who claim vegetarianism is healthier and meat eaters are fat or whatever, that's a pretty dumb stance too.

People get fat by eating TOO MUCH and not exercising enough PERIOD (yeah, yeah, some medications can contribute as can differences in metabolic rate). Bottom line it's calories in vs. calories burned, and you can get those calories from carbs a lot easier than proteins.

I'm not saying people should or should not be veggie-terrorists or vegans or whatever - but whatever you choose, seek balance that's all.

Ha ha ha ha.Kev you are too funny.Keep on eating meat.You will see your maker sooner, then ask Him.Course it will be too late then.

RON BAYLESS
25th October 2008, 00:02

Pete,I agree with you 100%.Not that that means anything to you.But at least you got one agreeing with you.

PaddyOFurniture
25th October 2008, 16:30
Okay but being a vegan doesn't mean that you have to give up Bacon does it? It's natures perfect food...

RON BAYLESS
25th October 2008, 22:57
Okay but being a vegan doesn't mean that you have to give up Bacon does it? It's natures perfect food...

You dont have to give up anything.Aint nobody gonna make you stop eating bacon.But vegetarians dont eat bacon because it isnt a vegetable.So do you HAVE to give up bacon? Only if you want to be a real vegetarian.There are many blogs and websites showing what are the 10 worst foods to eat.I dont remember the correct order but something like this:
1.canned soda
2.chips
3.fried fish
4.canned soup
5.bacon
6.processed meats-lunch meat,weiners,etc.
7.Cant remember the rest,but you see what I mean.

Ender
26th October 2008, 01:07
You dont have to give up anything.Aint nobody gonna make you stop eating bacon.But vegetarians dont eat bacon because it isnt a vegetable.So do you HAVE to give up bacon? Only if you want to be a real vegetarian.There are many blogs and websites showing what are the 10 worst foods to eat.I dont remember the correct order but something like this:
1.canned soda
2.chips
3.fried fish
4.canned soup
5.bacon

thats funny my favorite foods list looks very similar lol.

PaddyOFurniture
26th October 2008, 06:14
I thought that was the list of the required food groups. (BTW Bacon should always be first) ;)

(I was just funnin ya...)

1.canned soda
2.chips
3.fried fish
4.canned soup
5.bacon

cantolina
26th October 2008, 06:22
Funny (sort of) story...

I was on tour with The Wallflowers, and the drummer for that band got involved with Natalie Merchant from 10,000 Maniacs (who we we opening for on that tour)....

He decided to go on a Vegan diet kick (with her influence), and within 2 weeks, I had to have him hospitalized....interrupting the tour...

If you're going to go Vegan, do your homework.....its an incredibly high-maintenance lifestyle...and without the proper guidance, it will land you in serious trouble in very short order....

Clearly, it can be done, but not without some serious lifestyle changes...and certainly not without a dietician's care...

RON BAYLESS
26th October 2008, 08:03
Funny (sort of) story...

I was on tour with The Wallflowers, and the drummer for that band got involved with Natalie Merchant from 10,000 Maniacs (who we we opening for on that tour)....

He decided to go on a Vegan diet kick (with her influence), and within 2 weeks, I had to have him hospitalized....interrupting the tour...

If you're going to go Vegan, do your homework.....its an incredibly high-maintenance lifestyle...and without the proper guidance, it will land you in serious trouble in very short order....

Clearly, it can be done, but not without some serious lifestyle changes...and certainly not without a dietician's care...

Your advice is well meaning and appropriate, but let me say the problem i have had being vegan is not a high maintainance lifestyle as you put it.The problem is not knowing the proper way to go vegan.You have to eat a variety of foods as a vegan, and there are more varieties than you can try in a short time, it takes a long time to try all the different possibilities of dishes that are vegan.I odoubt it is possible.But most people that try to go vegetarian do not have a balanced diet from that point on.They eat only the vegetables they like and that wont work.You miss out on too many different nutrients your body needs.That is why some of the people here wrote their vegan acquaintances were the most sickly or sickly looking people they knew.Those people were not balanced.Meat is bad for you.Unbalanced diet of any kind is worse in my opinion, and there is scientific evidence to prove it.I go to fatfree.com.Approximately 2000 recipes.But even there, you cant do only the black bean recipes you gotta do all different ones.I think little or no meat, stay off the processed and refined foods, low fat for the most part, make water your main beverage and get exercise regularly and you will have balance.

RIORoosen
27th October 2008, 10:41
I still don't get it...look at all this damn effort needed by an individual to supplement his/her diet with vitamines, minerals and nutrients that all come 'naturally' from...MEAT, in order to stay healthy.
Let me ask you this...if there was a war tomorrow and all supermarkets were destroyed...and we had to go Grizzly Adams to survive...would you still be a vegan...a vegatarian...somehow I don't think so...:)

toe
27th October 2008, 11:04
Green Wafers and Ham..........

:D

brassnadz
27th October 2008, 11:20
Im a Vagitarian myself....:smoke

Theres room for all Gods creatures. Right between the corn and taters.

darett
27th October 2008, 11:45
I used to have a shirt that said
" For every animal you don't eat I'm eatin 2 "

daggar rider
27th October 2008, 13:24

LOL thats awesome:laugh:laugh:laugh

Moved On / My Own Choice
27th October 2008, 14:27
Ha ha ha ha.Kev you are too funny.Keep on eating meat.You will see your maker sooner, then ask Him.Course it will be too late then.
I'll let you know what he says... considing you're almost 2 decades older than me, you should be somewhere "local" when I get the answer ;)

1.canned soda
2.chips
3.fried fish
4.canned soup
5.bacon

I have one very important thing to say about this post

:clap :clap :clap

Ya know why?

Cause BEER wasn't on the list. EVERYTHING IS GONNA BE OK NOW!

;)

That reminds me, we stopped at Peace of Pizza for lunch on Saturday. Kelli and I each had a slice of "Meat Lovers BBQ Sauce Pizza" - picture this awesome big piece of pizza with chicken and sausage and pepporoni AND BACON covered in cheese and BBQ sauce. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM good stuff.

RIORoosen
27th October 2008, 16:48

I'm gonna buy me one these shirts...and wear it underenath my newly purchased fur coat!
How ya like dem apples?!?!:D

Maniac72
27th October 2008, 20:12
I shot a deer this weekend and HE was eating vegatation, then I ate HIM along with a beverage made from OTHER types of vegatation, beer I think. Does this put me somewhere in the vege food chain of friends or am I a savage.

Ender
27th October 2008, 21:03
I shot a deer this weekend and HE was eating vegatation, then I ate HIM along with a beverage made from OTHER types of vegatation, beer I think. Does this put me somewhere in the vege food chain of friends or am I a savage.

Your a savage, welcome to the club.