PDA

View Full Version : Help, Did Harley mount my Metzlers backwards(see pic)

gymrat523
21st May 2007, 16:00
Gary7 just told me on another thread that it looked like my new Metzlers are reversed. Can someone tell me by looking at the pic here. I am at work and it is going to drive me crazy waiting til I get home. I can't believe I did not look for the arrow after the local Harley installed them, just went 1300 miles round trip to Myrtle and they felt fine.
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/749/medium/s_bike_001_112606_Small_.jpg

Johnny Wolf
21st May 2007, 16:15
If they did, I guess they owe you a re-mount!

Gary7
21st May 2007, 16:38
They are reversed. The "V" of the tread should point in the direction of rotation.

asphalt addict
21st May 2007, 16:41
That's how they look on Metzeler's website.
http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/5319/me880marathonet7.jpg

xena
21st May 2007, 16:46
Reddtiggers pic look similar
in this thread (http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=56062&highlight=metzlers) although his pics are up close.

ReddTigger
21st May 2007, 16:46
I just checked my bike, the tire is mounted correctly.

at least my tire is mounted the same as yours and the directional arrow is properly set.

gymrat523
21st May 2007, 17:30
I just checked my bike, the tire is mounted correctly.

at least my tire is mounted the same as yours and the directional arrow is properly set.
Thanks for checking Redd ,I would have been getting worked up all day. This site is great.

gymrat523
21st May 2007, 17:33
They are reversed. The "V" of the tread should point in the direction of rotation.
Gary, looks like they are correct but I will still check when I get home,
Thanks

Hot Rod Sporty
21st May 2007, 17:37
Gary, looks like they are correct but I will still check when I get home,
Thanks

Nothing like a little paranoia to start your day off right!:doh

Gary7
21st May 2007, 17:56
Metzler must do it different from other directional tread patterns I've seen, including the OEM Dunlops on my bike.

Sorry for the false alarm and getting you worked up. :o

gymrat523
21st May 2007, 18:31
Metzler must do it different from other directional tread patterns I've seen, including the OEM Dunlops on my bike.

No problem you were trying to help, thanks, but man did I have a pit in my stomach thinking I just did a 1300 mile trip with tire on backwards. Was in shock trama a week in 05 from an accident, one more and the wife is going to be hard to live with.

lincoln1975
21st May 2007, 18:37
I got gary's back it does look to be backwards. I dont run metzler so I would not know

prettyponyofdoom
21st May 2007, 19:18
Just stepped out to check mine and the "V" of the tread pattern matches or points in the same direction of the rotation. There is a small legend on one side of the tire that verifys the rotation as well, with an arrow and the word "Rotation". Mine is a rear ME880. If yours is the same model tire, it looks to be mounted backwards. Check for the legend on the tire. Keep in mind i am speaking of the REAR ME880, I dont have my front yet. As a side note, really liking this tire!

prettyponyofdoom
21st May 2007, 19:23
One more thing, it occurs to me that the reason for the pattern would be to get water out of the tread. Thats the one thing I really noticed immediately about the 880's compared to the Dunlops; the better performance in the wet. I would verify that they are indeed backwards and hit your shop up for a remount.

tstoeckel
21st May 2007, 19:25
I just checked mine and your mounting looks correct.

dabronco
21st May 2007, 19:27
One more thing, it occurs to me that the reason for the pattern would be to get water out of the tread. Thats the one thing I really noticed immediately about the 880's compared to the Dunlops; the better performance in the wet.

What is this ''WET'' you speak of?

prettyponyofdoom
21st May 2007, 19:31
"wet" = "rain or wet roads"

TSTOECKEL : Did you find the thing on the side of your tire that shows the rotation arrow? What model are your metzlers?

prettyponyofdoom
21st May 2007, 19:53
took two pictures....the first is blurry but shows the rotational arrow...the second shows the correct mounting from the rear view. Hope this helps.

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p283/prettyponyofdoom2/?action=view&current=DSCN0045.jpg

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p283/prettyponyofdoom2/?action=view&current=DSCN0048.jpg

tstoeckel
21st May 2007, 21:07
"wet" = "rain or wet roads"

TSTOECKEL : Did you find the thing on the side of your tire that shows the rotation arrow? What model are your metzlers?

Yep. The rotation arrow is pointing the correct direction. Mine is an ME880 90/90H-21. My tread pattern direction looks like it matches his from the photo.

melcheld
21st May 2007, 21:21

Avon Venoms look the same way as well. You really need to just check the sidewall for the little arrow that indicates rotational direction:)

FstPig
21st May 2007, 21:25
Look close, if they say "relzteM", you can bet they are backwards... :laugh lol
Sorry, had to say it...

TLE

prettyponyofdoom
21st May 2007, 21:26
interesting that the front is opposite of the rear. I had assumed it was to clear the water from the grooves as the tire rotated and thus avoiding hydroplaning. Can anybody chime in here and explain why this is? [i have a call in to metzler but havent heard back yet]

TSTOECKEL: your rear tire is the opposite direction [of tread pattern] like mine, right?... "v" pointing in the direction of rotation?

xllent01
21st May 2007, 21:34
interesting that the front is opposite of the rear. I had assumed it was to clear the water from the grooves as the tire rotated. Can anybody chime in here and explain why that is? [i have a call in to metzler but havent heard back yet]

Check sidewall for directional arrows.

All good performance cycle tires are routed like that, including the Avon Venom X's, and Metzeler Lazers all do the same thing.

It channels water away from the tire faster in rainy or inclimate condtions.:banana :shhhh

ReddTigger
21st May 2007, 21:36
The tread pattern on the Metzelers are As pictured. I verified my directional arrow, and it is as pictured. I am at work now, but if you want when I get home I will take a picture of the directional arrow for those who would like to know what it looks like..

tstoeckel
21st May 2007, 21:55
TSTOECKEL: your rear tire is the opposite direction [of tread pattern] like mine, right?... "v" pointing in the direction of rotation?

It's a little hard to tell what constitutes a direction with the rear tread pattern however the little treads on either side of the outside of the tire point in the direction of rotation.

prettyponyofdoom
21st May 2007, 21:58
thanks redtigger and xllent. I just wondered why the front would be different from the rear....because MY rear is as picture posted...V in the direction of rotation...gymrats front appears to be the opposite. I plan on getting the 880 front installed next week and that is why i took a big interest in this thread. [as well as y'alls safety!]

headed out to ride as we speak, will check the thread later - rock on brothers and sistahs!

gymrat523
21st May 2007, 22:48
thanks redtigger and xllent. I just wondered why the front would be different from the rear....because MY rear is as picture posted...V in the direction of rotation...gymrats front appears to be the opposite. I plan on getting the 880 front installed next week and that is why i took a big interest in this thread. [as well as y'alls safety!]

headed out to ride as we speak, will check the thread later - rock on brothers and sistahs!
Just checked and my front is correct it does go opposite of the back, I can rest easy now, thanks everyone

Quadcab666
21st May 2007, 22:50
There should be a rotation arrow on the sidewall...

HellRazur
21st May 2007, 23:01
The front tires tread looks backwards cuz when on a wet road and your turning it throws the water away from the turn. Duncraps push the water back into the turn and you fight the same water over and over. The back tire is opposite cuz its the trail tire. I hope I exsplaned this clearly...cuz I think I just confused myself.....lol

prettyponyofdoom
22nd May 2007, 18:03
The front tires tread looks backwards cuz when on a wet road and your turning it throws the water away from the turn. Duncraps push the water back into the turn and you fight the same water over and over. The back tire is opposite cuz its the trail tire. I hope I exsplaned this clearly...cuz I think I just confused myself.....lol

Learn something new everyday here! Just glad that everyone has thier tire mounted correctly. Thanks for the info!

Pop Clutch
23rd May 2007, 00:25
I got new Metzlers mounted last Sat. I wondered about this too.
Sent an email to Metzler, this is the response I got back.

"The front tires job is radically different than the rear so this is why ME880 tread patterns work better with the front in the current correct direction.
Thank you for your interest in our company and products.
Best Regards."

The bike handles so much better with these tires. It is amazing!
Pop

ReddTigger
23rd May 2007, 00:35
MY dad had saved and saved and saved when I was a young boy to purchase a set of these "german" tires that everyones using on the European superbike tour (wet roads, 160+mph) for his 1974 XLCH..... Since then That was all he's used. I upgraded the rear when I got a nail and the front when the sidewalls cracked on my dunflop. GREAT tire GREAT ride...