PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a battery tender?

nardo
23rd April 2005, 19:59
Just installed a Vector brand battery charger. (What else you gonna do on a Saturday with a forecast of possibly 6 to 12 inches of snow by tomorrow morning. And it was sunny and 80 degrees just 3 days ago!) Cost $16.97 at Wal Mart versus Harleys Battery Tender Jr. at $39.95. Anyone care to comment on either the Vector or the Battery Tender Jr.? Do you feel it has extended the life of your battery? Any problems you may have had. Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah.
Man, its snowing sideways right now! To quote Wendy The Retard from the Howard Stern Show "I'm going nuts, Baby!"

Kath
23rd April 2005, 20:02
I have a battery tender jr. I only use it if the bike's going to be sitting for an extended period of time, like during the winter. This past winter, though, I never had to use it because we managed to get out and ride at least once a month with a mild day.

Shark Doctor
23rd April 2005, 20:07
Have H-D brand. Works great over winter, but haven't used it "routinely" since it's such a PITA to remove the battery (2004 1220R)...

Wardog
23rd April 2005, 21:09
Have H-D brand. Works great over winter, but haven't used it "routinely" since it's such a PITA to remove the battery (2004 1220R)...
If your battery tender came with the pig tail just install it on the batter terminals and when you need to hook it up just pull it out from the left side cover and hook it up. That is what I do becasue it is a b :censor to take the battery out.

Shark Doctor
23rd April 2005, 21:13
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Never thought of that (Duh!). Any fear of shorting (via water, etc., or is that not likely since the plugs are polarity-protected?)

Good suggestions...

If your battery tender came with the pig tail just install it on the batter terminals and when you need to hook it up just pull it out from the left side cover and hook it up. That is what I do becasue it is a b :censor to take the battery out.

Mark914
23rd April 2005, 21:53
I've been using a battery tender for a couple of years on my marine batteries. Works great. I would get the model that de-sulfates the battery plates also. Makes the battery last longer.

nardo
23rd April 2005, 21:57
The Vector also has the pigtail. Hangs just under the seat and is simple to get at when plugging in. I see no need to use it during the riding season. Bought it mainly to hook up during the winter. On the Corbins Ride On TV show a couple weeks back they did a segment on the Battery Tender. They claim that by keeping your battery at full charge you can considerably extend the life of your battery.

Kath, could you please turn your dancing girl around so I can see who I'm dancing with?
"OUCH" Wife just smacked me in the head!

SamIam
23rd April 2005, 23:14
I use the HD battery tender junior which comes with a little kit (pig tail) for older bikes (and has a cap to seal off the connection when not in use). My '05 came with it pre installed (got to have it with the alarm which sucks juice even when it's not 'on'...it's actually always on) It has a green LED when in maintain mode and red when it's charging. Works well so far.

Chuck
24th April 2005, 02:28
Just installed a Vector brand battery charger. (What else you gonna do on a Saturday with a forecast of possibly 6 to 12 inches of snow by tomorrow morning. And it was sunny and 80 degrees just 3 days ago!) Cost $16.97 at Wal Mart versus Harleys Battery Tender Jr. at $39.95. Anyone care to comment on either the Vector or the Battery Tender Jr.? Do you feel it has extended the life of your battery? Any problems you may have had. Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah.
Man, its snowing sideways right now! To quote Wendy The Retard from the Howard Stern Show "I'm going nuts, Baby!"

Sounds like you bought a charger. A tender or float charger is something totally different. You can get them at auto stores for about 28 bucks.

IronMick
24th April 2005, 05:16
The Battery Tender, Battery Minder, and other well known brands are "automatic" battery chargers. They test as they charge and go into a maintenance mode when the battery is fully charged.

The regular battery tender [1.25 amps] cost about $100.00 here. The same one in the USA usually cost about $35.00 or less. Canadian tire has their own brand for about $40.00.

At $16.95 are you sure it is automatic? If not it could overcharge the battery if left connected for too long.

I leave mine attached every night so it is fully charged for that morning startup. Especially important in the very cold early spring and late fall.

toe
24th April 2005, 07:39
There's 3 levels of chargers........

The battery tender:
It does a higher rate charge (also higher voltage)to get the battery charged then
it goes to a maintenance charge (lower amps and voltage).
It will goto the higher rate charge if needed

Regulated charger:
The voltage is limited to a set maximum, usually about what the battery tender
maintenance charge is. This will charge the battery, but will take longer than
battery tender. I've gotten them for $5 at Harbor Freight and they work fine and
IMO are the best bang for the buck.

Unregulated charger:
Typical 12v charger. As the battery charges, the amps do drop, but the voltage
keeps rising. This will overcharge the battery. DON'T USE one of these.

Ed

lefty
24th April 2005, 12:40
:clap I plug my battery tender into the dangling pig-tail every time I get off the bike. Not much effort and supposedly extends battery life. I'll report back in a few years. BTW after a short ride (to the store, etc.) the battery is rarely fully charged upon return. Got to go a ways at speed to fully charge the battery after sitting for even a day or two. I believe leaving fully charged at all times is a good plan.

Lefty

Chuck
24th April 2005, 13:23
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Never thought of that (Duh!). Any fear of shorting (via water, etc., or is that not likely since the plugs are polarity-protected?)

Good suggestions...

I wrap a piece of electrical tape around the plug and push it under the seat.

nardo
24th April 2005, 14:44
Heres a little info on the Vector VEC080 Smart 2amp/1amp battery charger:
2 charge rate settings. 1 amp and 2 amp.
Fully Automatic, powers on when needed, powers off when battery is fully charged or topped off.
Maintains battery charge in stored vehicles.
Built in circuit protection against overcharging or short circuit.

Is this different than a Tender? And thanks for all the great info!

gearhead1972
24th April 2005, 15:01
what you have there is what you need, I just looked it up here (http://www.directdepot.net/product_info.php?products_id=887&osCsid=ff6b0142157ec44feceeef768b74fa34)

Malpaso
24th April 2005, 15:14
I use a Deltran waterproof 800mA (http://www.batterymart.com/battery.mv?p=DEL-022-0150-DL) tender. Also have it's big brother on a diesel van that we have at my club.

Chuck
24th April 2005, 15:20
Heres a little info on the Vector VEC080 Smart 2amp/1amp battery charger:
2 charge rate settings. 1 amp and 2 amp.
Fully Automatic, powers on when needed, powers off when battery is fully charged or topped off.
Maintains battery charge in stored vehicles.
Built in circuit protection against overcharging or short circuit.

Is this different than a Tender? And thanks for all the great info!

Sounds like a tender and should work fine. I have never seen one that cheap, wow, good deal.

Chuck
24th April 2005, 15:22
Hey Nardo, I see your in N. OH. You getting in on any of the Lake Erie run? Check it out in the rides forum.

nardo
24th April 2005, 15:48
Yep. Been following the thread. Can't commit until probably the week before though. Sounds like a great time.

Chuck
24th April 2005, 15:59
Yep. Been following the thread. Can't commit until probably the week before though. Sounds like a great time.

Same here, I think I should be able to do Geneva to NY maybe. Wish I could do the whole thing but doesn't look like it.

Shark Doctor
24th April 2005, 18:55
Same here, I think I should be able to do Geneva to NY maybe. Wish I could do the whole thing but doesn't look like it.
Chuck & Nardo-

We'll be hoping that you can at least join a part of the run...