PDA

View Full Version : Does your front tire "wobble?"

Tzarofsmurfs
24th September 2009, 05:20
I have a 2004 1200C that has a slight "wobble" to the handlebars when I ride one handed. If I take both hands off the bars they wobble a bit and then seem to smooth out (going about 45-50) I don't feel the wobble with both hands on the bars, even at speed. Is this slight "wobble" normal due to the 21 in front tire?

biknut
24th September 2009, 05:27
It's not normal. Could be any of several minor problems. Wheel alignment, tire balance, bad tire. Sometimes even the rider causes it. Does it do it if you ride with no hands?

ReddTigger
24th September 2009, 05:31
Other things to check...

Tire pressure, both front and rear.
Spoke tightness (take a screwdriver and tap each spoke, they should all sound alive, no thuds) also if you have rear spokes, this can affect front handling.
Steering neck adjustment (depending on how many miles you have on the bike)

Cosmo Kramer
24th September 2009, 05:35
I agree with Redd & Biknut....and would also add the front rim not being "true" or having excessive run-out

ReddTigger
24th September 2009, 05:37
I agree with Redd & Biknut....and would also add the front rim not being "true" or having excessive run-out

Yes yes, you can have a tight spoke and not be true.. or a worn hub as well can also cause it, bad bearings. so many different things can cause a wobble with a spoked front rubberband 21" tire.

WhiteKnuckle
24th September 2009, 05:51
Bad bearings could cause this. I had bearings go out in my rear wheel. It cause a wobble. Seemed to not be there at speed, and more prevailant when taking curves. And sometimes riding 1 handed it was noticeable.

jharback
24th September 2009, 08:54
It's definitely not normal. There's any number of things that could cause this as others have stated. I'd get a good Indy to take a look at it. There are just too many possibilities unless you really know what your doing. Among those already stated:

fall away adjustment
wheel out of round/abnormal wear
bent fork
loose bolt

toe
24th September 2009, 09:03
How many miles on the tire?

Tires tend to cup with age. Depending on the tread pattern, it will alternate back and forth across the tread causing a wobble.

Tzarofsmurfs
24th September 2009, 09:14

Tires tend to cup with age. Depending on the tread pattern, it will alternate back and forth across the tread causing a wobble.

The tires are original with 6700 miles, look OK.

colonelangus
24th September 2009, 09:28
no its not normal ,and you should be having it checked by a qualified technician before something bad happens to you and your bike

steelworker
24th September 2009, 09:36
+1 to all of the above.

RIORoosen
24th September 2009, 12:04
I have it too on my 02 Custom. I'm running an ME880 on the front, and have had the wheel trued because I thought that was it...didn't help. I'm ditching the ME880 the next time I bring it in to my indy, because I've received a bad tire from Metzeler in the past...hope that that is it.

toe
24th September 2009, 12:07
I have it too on my 02 Custom. I'm running an ME880 on the front, and have had the wheel trued because I thought that was it...didn't help. I'm ditching the ME880 the next time I bring it in to my indy, because I've received a bad tire from Metzeler in the past...hope that that is it.

Are you using a 80/90 21 or 90/90 21?

I have the wider ME880 90/90 21. Doesn't have any problems.

RIORoosen
24th September 2009, 12:24
Are you using a 80/90 21 or 90/90 21?

I have the wider ME880 90/90 21. Doesn't have any problems.

I'm almost 100% sure it's the 80/90 21. I ordered my first set of ME880's and got a bad front that I returned right away...the replacement they sent me gave me less of a wobble, but it's still there. I had my indy check the trueness of the wheel, check all spokes...the whole nine...I think I only really have two options left to check...replace the tire with a new Dunlop to match my rear and the steering neck.
I haven't replaced the tire as of yet, cause I'm still busy riding the piss out of it! :) Yes it wobbles, but no I have no adverse affects from it...even when I ride no handed she shakes, but it's not like I'm worried she's gonna shake me off.
Oh and I have it at all speeds...the faster I ride the faster the wobble.
If anyone feels they know definitively what this might be in my case, would love to hear back.

xllent01
24th September 2009, 12:28

+2

Why not do the simple things first..replace a cupped, cracked, scalloped tire,

If they are the stock Dung-Slops it's time to replace them..just cause they look good doesen't mean they don't perform like shite causing your front to wobble??

Sometimes you can fix the wobble in that speed range with a slight air adjustment..but it's just a bandaid to the real problem..crappy tire!! :frownthre

ReddTigger
24th September 2009, 13:50
If you're mis matching tires this could lend to the problem. change the rear to match the front.. The Metzelers have fallen out of favor at our shop. we've watched too many come back with problems, Including a brand new tire shredding apart on the dyno (we installed the tire, then put the bike on the dyno) We now recommend Avons although I still like my Metzelers...

wilbur
24th September 2009, 16:02
If you're mis matching tires this could lend to the problem. change the rear to match the front.. The Metzelers have fallen out of favor at our shop. we've watched too many come back with problems, Including a brand new tire shredding apart on the dyno (we installed the tire, then put the bike on the dyno) We now recommend Avons although I still like my Metzelers...

Wow...that's not too good for Metzelers. Was this an isolated incident?

Fackler Rebel
24th September 2009, 17:05
Still running Dunlops on mine, 22,000 miles nearly. This is the third set of stock Dunlops on mine and my rigid mount 1200 has never wobbled at any speed that includes up to 112 which is the fastest I've had her.

Reb

Tzarofsmurfs
25th September 2009, 06:19
Other things to check...

Tire pressure, both front and rear.
Spoke tightness (take a screwdriver and tap each spoke, they should all sound alive, no thuds) also if you have rear spokes, this can affect front handling.
Steering neck adjustment (depending on how many miles you have on the bike)

Well I went out and checked the tire pressure and found 36/38. I checked the manual and adjusted the air to 30/36. The wobble seems to be gone, took her up to 45-50 and no wobble without hands:clap I think this tire set-up is very sensitive to air pressure.

Thanks everyone for your input:)

FoxsterUK
25th September 2009, 08:44
Wow...that's not too good for Metzelers. Was this an isolated incident?I'll bet that was one of the Brazilian Metzelers. Just don't buy a Metzeler if it says anything about Brazil on it. Fit the German-made ones only.

bass thrasher
25th September 2009, 09:29
get your front wheel off the ground and see if it spins good and smooth. look for the rim trueness. see if there might be a bubble on the tire somewhere, i doubt it though. also check your headset bearings, triple clamp bolts, and axel. wheel balancing? theres alot of things that could cause this. may be brakes dragging or bearings. tire pressure. tear into it. haha

bass thrasher
25th September 2009, 09:30
could be something with the rear wheel too transferring to the front but youd probably feel that in your as$ mostly

WhiteKnuckle
25th September 2009, 10:17
could be something with the rear wheel too transferring to the front but youd probably feel that in your as$ mostly

You would think. But, I didn't. It just felt like the front end was wobbly, at first I thought it was my forks.

Everything seemed fine other wise, so since I'm pretty cavalier about things.... I didn't find out until I took the rear wheel off. What was left of the bearings was total trash. I'm surprised that the thing even rolled. It was basicaly riding on the outside and the inside spacers.

Teehaml
25th September 2009, 11:20
Front wheel wobble = have it checked out... :wonderlan

ReddTigger
25th September 2009, 13:29
Wow...that's not too good for Metzelers. Was this an isolated incident?

Nope. Not isolated.. Well the Brand New Tire shredding on the dyno was isolated, but we've had several tires come back in for peeling apart and shredding, also many with premature dry rot.

Sabrina
25th September 2009, 13:42
I have a 2004 1200C that has a slight "wobble" to the handlebars when I ride one handed. If I take both hands off the bars they wobble a bit and then seem to smooth out (going about 45-50) I don't feel the wobble with both hands on the bars, even at speed. Is this slight "wobble" normal due to the 21 in front tire?

You ride with no hands:wonderlan

toe
25th September 2009, 14:17
You ride with no hands:wonderlan

You Don't...........

:p

Fackler Rebel
27th September 2009, 16:25
I do sometimes. When I made my one day journey from El Paso to Scottsboro Alabama, I crossed Texas that day in the heavy rain at 117 mph. That was the top end for the Yamaha 750 I was riding. When I got tired, I would lean back on the back rest after locking the throttle control and steer with my feet. Of course that was 31 years ago.

Reb

xllent01
27th September 2009, 16:33
I do sometimes. When I made my one day journey from El Paso to Scottsboro Alabama, I crossed Texas that day in the heavy rain at 117 mph. That was the top end for the Yamaha 750 I was riding. When I got tired, I would lean back on the back rest after locking the throttle control and steer with my feet. Of course that was 31 years ago.

Reb

Only 117mph in the rain?? not 120?? :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh

:rolleyes:

Stark
27th September 2009, 17:47

Reb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7amxE3RLAzQ