PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop D404s are absolute shiat!

Wizzard Of Odds
23rd May 2007, 05:33
I bought a pair of D404 tires for the sporty last summer. My local indy had them in stock, and according to Dunlop the only real difference between them and the stock Dunlops is load capacity.

Well, they are absolute crap!

Absolutely noexistant wet traction, not a thrd as good as the worn out stock Dunlops they replaced. The D404s almost cost me my life on the freeway Saturday, i won't go into details, but will say that having your back tire break loose in a construction zone at 60MPH with a semi on you fender is f**king frightening!

Only 3000 miles and the wear bars are showing on the rear!

I never burn out, and I don't chirp when I down shift, this is ridiculous.

I ordered a set of Metezelers yesterday, they should arrive Thursday. Man, I hope they're as good as everyone says.

ReddTigger
23rd May 2007, 05:37
Wizzard.....

I'm waiting for the post "I just got my new Metzelers and they're FRIGGIN great"

I have been a proponent for the Metz's for a long time, (even before I was riding) Something about a company that only makes motorcycle tyres (tires) makes me all warm and fuzzy inside..

Did you upgrade the sizes any, or just stock replacement?

shameless
23rd May 2007, 05:38
My Dunlops are 451s (I think) and they are crap as well. They were new when I bought the bike and the rear is just about slick in the middle now. I'm just now comming up on 3k miles. Best I can tell they are really sticky in the curves but they sure didn't last long.

Wizzard Of Odds
23rd May 2007, 05:44
Wizzard.....

I'm waiting for the post "I just got my new Metzelers and they're FRIGGIN great"

I have been a proponent for the Metz's for a long time, (even before I was riding) Something about a company that only makes motorcycle tyres (tires) makes me all warm and fuzzy inside..

Did you upgrade the sizes any, or just stock replacement?

Did the 140/90HB16 in the rear and the 90/90H-21 front. I'm hoping to add a little contact patch, as well as fill the front fender a bit better.

I know the ME880s will be better, but it was a little hard to justify pulling off a new looking front tire.

ReddTigger
23rd May 2007, 05:58
Did the 140/90HB16 in the rear and the 90/90H-21 front. I'm hoping to add a little contact patch, as well as fill the front fender a bit better.

I know the ME880s will be better, but it was a little hard to justify pulling off a new looking front tire.

I know the feeling, When I bought my bike the front tire was new(er) and the rear was good. Thankfully (?) I grabbed a nail and HAD to replace the rear. I did so over 7,000 miles ago and it's still meaty as all get out.

A couple of weeks ago my front tire (great tread life left) was cracking on the sidewalls. I decided to replace with the 110 Metzeler ( I have 19" rims)

Now that I Have matching rubber the bike is very stable, handles turns with ease and I feel better. went over a nice bridge grate the other day and NO wobble.. Actually let go of the bars and it tracked straight(Unlike the dunflops :p

Wizzard Of Odds
23rd May 2007, 06:15
I know the feeling, When I bought my bike the front tire was new(er) and the rear was good. Thankfully (?) I grabbed a nail and HAD to replace the rear. I did so over 7,000 miles ago and it's still meaty as all get out.

A couple of weeks ago my front tire (great tread life left) was cracking on the sidewalls. I decided to replace with the 110 Metzeler ( I have 19" rims)

Now that I Have matching rubber the bike is very stable, handles turns with ease and I feel better. went over a nice bridge grate the other day and NO wobble.. Actually let go of the bars and it tracked straight(Unlike the dunflops :p

Glad to hear the good feedback on the Metzs. I ride to Grand Rapids every Friday and about half the ride is ruined by shitty rain grooves, maybe this weekend I can actually enjoy the WHOLE ride down.

Jimbo999
23rd May 2007, 06:28

Do yourself a favor and cancell your current order and get 880's....
Best F'n tire around. Riding is what it's all about and 880's fill the bill.
Don't go for Show........Go for GO (and safety).....:smoke

Gary7
23rd May 2007, 06:39
My Dunlops are 451s (I think) and they are crap as well. They were new when I bought the bike and the rear is just about slick in the middle now. I'm just now comming up on 3k miles. Best I can tell they are really sticky in the curves but they sure didn't last long.

I've got 4500 miles on my bike now and the OEM rubber still looks like new. What am I doing wrong? :p

ReddTigger
23rd May 2007, 07:05

jimbo

I was under the impression that he was upgrading to the 880's.

As he stated. he ordered them yesterday.... and that it was hard to justify replacing the front wheel. which I read as he did it.

oh and I agree, The 880's are the best tire around !

XLXR
23rd May 2007, 09:22
I changed to Metzlers at 7,000 miles, wish I had done it at 7 miles. The Dunlops never worked with any tire pressure. With the Metzlers, I could tell the difference in 3 psi.

shameless
23rd May 2007, 11:59
I've got 4500 miles on my bike now and the OEM rubber still looks like new. What am I doing wrong? :p

:dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno

Maybe you're twisting the grip the wrong way?:doh

Seriously though, I know I like to "get on it" but damn. 3K from a rear tire is unacceptable. Even with my riding style. So when they are gone there will not be another one put on.

Goshawk
23rd May 2007, 12:21
Both of my stock dunlop D401's slide on dry pavement, sometimes both at the same time going around corners. I have never even heard of a tire this dangerous. I haven't been riding much because of them. I waited several weeks for a set of Avon SuperVenoms to arrive only to find out they are being discontinued. I am now waiting for a set Pirreli Sport Demons to arrive. Oh well now is a good time to put on the Progressive fork springs and 418 shocks.

Wizzard Of Odds
23rd May 2007, 18:29

You quoted where I typed the sizes.:rolleyes:

They are ME880s.

Thanks for the knowledgeable advice.

bwheeler111
23rd May 2007, 18:40
I have the ME880's. I took the Dunrocks off at about 3k miles and never looked back. Down here in FL you never know what type of weather you are going to get and the ME's are sooooooooooooo much more confident in the rain.

Wizzard Of Odds
24th May 2007, 07:26

I don't know, what are the roads made of where you live?

Off topic, but what kind of tachymeter is that in your avatar photo? It looks a lot like a Maurice Lacroix that I used to own, but the resolution is too small to tell.

For tachymeters I now bounce back and forth between a stainless Daytona and a Speedmaster Moon. But for everyday banging around I've been wearing a Marathon GSAR for about 8 months now.

I'm a bit of a W.I.S..

Steve3888
24th May 2007, 10:00
I have some questions regarding the Metz. Are they radials? What sizes will fit on a stock wheel set up. I have an 03 883R rear is about done. I beleive it is a 19 inch front. But will have to check it tomorrow to make sure.

Mr Davo
24th May 2007, 12:28
My stock Dunlop back tyre lasted to 10k, but was as hard as a rock, I span it in the dry a few times setting off.

I just fitted one of these, bought off eBay. cant say if there's a lot more grip yet, I'll keep you posted.

NEW Genuine Harley Davidson Dunlop Rear 16" tyre

This tyre is fitted as standard to FXDX models 2000 and later to provide better grip. Harley started fitting 150/80-16 rear tyres after 2002 to most models but this is the higher performance K591 Dunlop not the D401 as fitted as standard. So if you are not happy with the grip and want to stay with Dunlop, this is the one for you.

Part Number 43043-98B

doxbike
24th May 2007, 14:04
Gotta agree with Gary7 at this point my '07 1200R has nearly 5K on it and the stockers still look like new. Rarely rains around here, but the bottoms of my foot pegs are beveled from laying it into the corners and throwin' sparks. This is with the stock suspension!

Will probably go with the 880's when it's time, just 'cuz so many of you rave about 'em. I sat on XLXR's bike with the jiffy stand up, put my feet on the pegs and just sat there! I didn't look, maybe the tires were flat, but I can't do that on my bike without falling over.:dunno

yorgo
24th May 2007, 14:32
I considered the cheaper 404's but ended up getting stockers again. I'm very happy with the 401's and see no reason to change manufacture or type of tire on my bike. Great mileage, enough traction for me, and reliable so far. My original rear lasted 26,000 miles, front lasted 28,000 miles. There's a fine line between cost effectiveness, recalls, and accidents when it comes to tire selections a manufacturer chooses to mount on their bikes. I trust the balance HD has picked for my bike.

CntryFun
24th May 2007, 14:52
Damn... I thought I got great mileage out of my stockers! I just made the appointment to get new shoes on mine June 8th, and I went w/ stockers because they were almost $50 cheaper for the set. I'll have 17,000 on mine when I change them, and although they certainly weren't the best, I can't complain about their performance. The biggest thing I noticed was the front skips around a lot (I think that's because it so dang skinny more than because of the tire choice) and the back tends to lock up easier than I think it should.

Wizzard Of Odds
25th May 2007, 15:50
Spent a couple of hours yesterday scrubbing in the Metzelers. I'm a very content biker now!

Night and day difference in grip and handling.

Night and day.

I highly recommend the Metzeler ME880s, let's hope they last more than 3000 miles.

myrl883
25th May 2007, 16:04
No more Super Venoms??? If that's true, maybe I'll have to try the Metzlers... I ran a set on the old ironhead, and while I didn't have problems with them, I wasn't overly impressed with them.