PDA

View Full Version : Ontario Run time poll

Casper
23rd May 2007, 21:53
If you voted yes or maybe on the Ontario Run Yes/No Poll (http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?threadid=61464), please vote on roughly when you'd like to see this Run occur. Once we determine when the most people want it to occur (if most people want it to occur at all, that is), then we'll nail down dates. But this should give us a ballpark estimate!

Note: I personally don't want to see this run take the place of the Erie Run. However, in the interest of impartiality I have included it as an option for those who wish it. Please put away the tar and feathers; thank you.

Bikerchk
23rd May 2007, 23:03
You rock Casper! Thanks for putting up this poll!

jprior
24th May 2007, 02:16
Sounds interesting.... Except for the fact that we'd need to make it through :censor Toronto traffic. Ouch! :D

canroc
24th May 2007, 05:11
Sounds interesting.... Except for the fact that we'd need to make it through :censor Toronto traffic. Ouch! :D
Agreed.
If we time it to arrive from the east at late morning, we could ride down Kingston Road, stop at the Beaches to rest and reconnoiter, on to Lakeshore, then up to the Gardiner, and on the QEW to pass thru Oakville before 3 p.m. ... otherwise just too much traffic to contend with.. but it will probably be a weekend day so we'd be spared the #$%$ Rush Hours(s) of T.O. (lived there and endured that for 12 years)

Alternative is to ride the 407 right across and miss T.O. proper.. though personally I'd like to ride thru it as noted above... more fun.

But.. for the first year we do this, we probably should bypass Toronto.. a ride along 407 will do that nicely.

phantom
24th May 2007, 12:53
I voted in the fall but late summer would be nice too!

NoBoZoS
24th May 2007, 12:53
Hold it in the Fall... I can make it back out West by then....hopefully!!

Casper
24th May 2007, 14:22
You rock Casper! Thanks for putting up this poll!

Thanks, Bikerchk! :o It looks like there's a generally positive response to the idea, and (as of this posting) late summer is the frontrunner.

Jprior, Canroc, I fully agree with you two. The rest of the run would be pretty easy going, but I've been trying to figure how to deal with "the Toronto factor". I was thinking of the 407 idea, but they're pretty steep on the toll rates; not only would I prefer not to surprise our guests with the toll costs*, but quite honestly, I don't wanna pay them myself! Canroc's idea of Kingston > Beaches > Lake Shore would probably be the easiest. If we have the numbers, we'll definitely run blocking at that point; there's no way I'm letting our group get split up in TO! The only downside to that is that, in TO proper, the Gardiner provides a little more dramatic scenery than Lake Shore (seeing the CN Tower and all). Of course, I'm getting ahead of myself here. Once we determine whether or not the run will even happen, then we can start figuring all this crap out!

* The 407 doesn't make you pay as you go. They take an automated photo of your license plate and mail you the bill later. They're not overly cheap on the charges, either. Even the mob demands less money than they do!

olderthandirt
24th May 2007, 20:44
Aug 17-21

Theres a date who's in?

Casper
25th May 2007, 14:38
Both SharkDoctor and myself can't make that week for different reasons, but if we move it up one week (to the 10th) then we can.

Bikerchk
25th May 2007, 14:51
I've never been in the St Lawrence Seaway area before- are there ferries we would have to take or would we just go up river a little and cross on the interstate?

As far as timing, I need to go later in August or maybe even early September as I already have a week scheduled off of work the last week of July. I could actually do the dates that OTD suggested or the next weekend which is 24th to 27th

canroc
25th May 2007, 17:04
I've never been in the St Lawrence Seaway area before- are there ferries we would have to take or would we just go up river a little and cross on the interstate?

As far as timing, I need to go later in August or maybe even early September as I already have a week scheduled off of work the last week of July. I could actually do the dates that OTD suggested or the next weekend which is 24th to 27th

We cross on a bridge over the St. Lawrence at the 1,000 islands area. http://www.1000islands.com

We ride up Route 81 in NY and cross over the bridge into Canada. Very scenic there.

Bikerchk
25th May 2007, 20:44
OK thanks for the info on 100o Islands-
Which direction are we going to go? clockwise?

Bikerchk
25th May 2007, 20:56
never mind- I answered my own question if we go with Canroc's directions.
So, to clarify, leave on Friday the 08/10/07 and return Tuesday 08/14/07 yes?

olderthandirt
25th May 2007, 21:01
never mind- I answered my own question if we go with Canroc's directions.
So, to clarify, leave on Friday the 08/10/07 and return Tuesday 08/14/07 yes?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canroc
25th May 2007, 21:02
OK thanks for the info on 100o Islands-
Which direction are we going to go? clockwise?

My assumption was counter clockwise. I think that was Casper's suggestion.
The only way I see that it matters is in the timing to hit Toronto.

olderthandirt
26th May 2007, 16:51
I'll start a new official thread for everyone thats interested in riding around lake Ontario

olderthandirt
26th May 2007, 17:18
heres the official lake ontario ride thread

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=62369