PDA

View Full Version : Fat Bob tank on a EFI?

Patmicg
28th September 2009, 18:52
I did some searching with little results unfortunately but im really thinking about getting a second set of tins for my nightster and getting a 4 gallon fat bob tank and fender. I really love the dove tailed look of the rear fender and i wish i had a bigger tank. But on JPCYCLES there was only 1 tank that was supposed to fit an EFI 09 sporty so i was hoping someone would have some suggestions of how to go about finding a proper tank.

Im sure there is one out there because the Bobster conversion is pretty popular but i havent really seen any EFI bikes if any with it done.

Let me know and thanks in advance!

Bone
28th September 2009, 21:32
I presume you realize the challenge is going tobe the tank needs to be specifically designed for EFI (i.e. have the internal fuel pump mounting plate ) set-up for it OR it would have to be modified to accept the pump/plate assembly.

jharback
28th September 2009, 22:09
That's what's going to be your problem. With the EFI you need the mounting plate for the fuel pump and they just haven't started making any after market tanks like that yet. There will probably be a shit load in another 5 years or so but, for now there just isn't much available in the after market. I think you'd have to buy a fat bob tank, split it and modify it to take the fuel pump.

Bone
28th September 2009, 22:17
That's what's going to be your problem. With the EFI you need the mounting plate for the fuel pump and they just haven't started making any after market tanks like that yet. There will probably be a shit load in another 5 years or so but, for now there just isn't much available in the after market. I think you'd have to buy a fat bob tank, split it and modify it to take the fuel pump.

Along those lines, one would think the fuel pump set-up in the BTs would likely be compatible with the Sporty EFI fuel system no? If so MAYBE, just MAYBE one could modify the mounting points on an OEM fatbob style tank to fit a Sporty. But it won't be as cheap as an aftermarket...

09 blackthunder
29th September 2009, 00:06
Along those lines, one would think the fuel pump set-up in the BTs would likely be compatible with the Sporty EFI fuel system no? If so MAYBE, just MAYBE one could modify the mounting points on an OEM fatbob style tank to fit a Sporty. But it won't be as cheap as an aftermarket...

This is something I would be interested in. I'm researching now in to purchasing the entire front end sometime in the future from a fat bob to go on my N

byidesign
29th September 2009, 00:30
You could buy the "custom" EFI tank from HD..{for the XL883C/XL1200C models} as it is the 4.5gal tank...even painted to match for{XXXXXtra bucks....} and just bolt your pump plate right in....May cost less than messing around...

Patmicg
29th September 2009, 05:50
the custom tank really isnt doing it for me. My problem is i used to have such a nice 87 "bobster" that i want to make my new bike look jsut like it but not have any of the same problems the other bike had. I may jsut have to get the rear fender and hang out till a good tank comes along.

But speaking of fenders i only saw one listed of an 09' nightster and it didnt look like it had the ECU hole in it which begs the question whether that will even work. so far the way i see it im not gonna get anywhere without a little custom work and thats out of budget at the moment

Bone
29th September 2009, 14:16
I BELIEVE the change in the ECM started with the 2010 model year, so if there is a rear fender without the hole listed for an 09, someone has made a mistake with the listing.

Patmicg
9th October 2009, 15:56
So the bobtail rear fender listed on J&P cycle does not show a hole but under fitment it clearly says 2009 nightster.

I wonder if its just a stock photo or they mean for you to cut out the hole or relocate the ECM

http://www.jpcycles.com/Search/ProductDetail?sku=710-392&N=2761610%202761612%2028002076%2028002312%20274824 %2028004519&Ne=75532&Ntk=All&Ntt=&Ns=DefaultSort&results=10&Nao=

StogieJoe
9th October 2009, 17:40
You could buy the "custom" EFI tank from HD..{for the XL883C/XL1200C models} as it is the 4.5gal tank...even painted to match for{XXXXXtra bucks....} and just bolt your pump plate right in....May cost less than messing around...

That seems like the easiest route to me.