PDA

View Full Version : GPS Mount on Sporty Custom

cantolina
25th April 2005, 22:02
Hey all,

I've decided that I want to mount my GPS on the bike somewhere....

Can't decide on where, and haven't seen any mounting solutions...

Any ideas?

Thanx!

Kath
25th April 2005, 22:12
www.cyclegadgets.com

They have RAMM mounts specifically for this. They are cool...they have brackets that go right on your handlebars. Hubby has one for his unit on his bike.

cantolina
25th April 2005, 22:18
Hubby has one for his unit...

hmmmm......

?

Thanx Kath!

;)

Shark Doctor
25th April 2005, 22:20
Share what ya find, Chuck. I'd like to do the same... What "unit" do you plan to mount (that whole sentence is just WRONG!)?

:eek:

J

cantolina
25th April 2005, 22:39
I have a GPS12...getting ready for next month!!!

I like the mounts in the link she sent...take a look...

I MAY make one myself, tho...now that I saw how THEY did it.. :)

cantolina
25th April 2005, 22:41
Would it be so wrong for me to simply say that having a mount for one's unit on the bike could be a VERY good thing !!!!!!!

;)

GTN
25th April 2005, 23:02
Try www.ram-mount.com for GPS mounting devices. You may purchase them from www.gps4fun.com. I have a ram mount on my 2000 1200C for my Garmin GPS V. It works ok. You'll probably want to run power from the battery rather than the internal GPS batteries. Is your GPS water proof? Will it live in the Sportster high vibration environment?

Glenn

wickedsprint
25th April 2005, 23:09
This website has a bunch of mounting ideas, the touratech mounts are really nice, I have one for my garmin V that I used on the dirtbike with good results.

http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/gallery/default.htm

Kath
25th April 2005, 23:28
Hey, if I could mount hubby's unit on my bike I would...don't see a thing wrong with it...but he won't share his unit with me, so I have to just get my own ;)

cantolina
25th April 2005, 23:33
Hey, if I could mount hubby's unit on my bike I would...don't see a thing wrong with it...but he won't share his unit with me, so I have to just get my own ;)

Won't SHARE his UNIT?!?!?!?

How much does THAT suck?

;)

Shark Doctor
25th April 2005, 23:44
Won't SHARE his UNIT?!?!?!?

How much does THAT suck?

;)
Couldn't leave well-enough alone, could you?! She'll probably answer you!!!

:D :yikes

cantolina
25th April 2005, 23:47
Couldn't leave well-enough alone, could you?! She'll probably answer you!!!

:D :yikes

Hope springs eternal....lol

SixMilesFromHell
26th April 2005, 00:27
I bought a mounting devise for my GPS unit. It is easily detachable and mounts on the handlebar. I usd it to verify my Speedo accuracy after the reflash. My GPS is an inexpensive model with no mapping capabilities, it is still fun to see a trail of where I have traveled and I can mark a position and the arrow will tell me which way I need to turn to get to that position.

Kath
26th April 2005, 01:07
Hope springs eternal....lol

I'll tell you how much it sucks. It sucks balls!

......but, then again, so do I ;)

cantolina
26th April 2005, 03:05
I'll tell you how much it sucks. It sucks balls!

......but, then again, so do I ;)

Perhaps, but only if the unit is shared!!!! :)

gilx
26th April 2005, 03:17
Hey all,

I've decided that I want to mount my GPS on the bike somewhere....

Can't decide on where, and haven't seen any mounting solutions...

Any ideas?

Thanx!

I just went out to the garage and took a couple of pics. I have the RAM mount system mentioned in a couple of the responses to your question. I ordered mine from Touratech (http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/navigation.lasso?-session=touratech:310FC71C6BB2284AB9A022198EC42885 ). They sell kits that include the handle bar mount, the RAM extension, and the gps specific RAM holder. Mine cost $39.

The attachment pics show the handle bar mount, a couple pics showing my gps attached, and the last pic shows the SAE connector for power. I got that connector from the auto battery section of walmart for $1.95 as I recall.

Right now, the only time I use the gps is when I also put on my tank bag. I stuff the excess power cable into the tank bag so it doesn't slap around in the wind. When I get around to it, I will get a longer SAE connector, run it under the tank to the front of the handle bars to make a cleaner set up.

JAFI
26th April 2005, 03:38
I hope this works, first time for a hyperlink.

I have a Garmin 76c unit and have been using the Garmin handlebar mount high on the left side. It puts the unit at the same angle of the grip and it is real easy see and push the buttons but, I wanted it to sit square with me for easier viewing. I just ordered the chrome mini mount and it should be here tomorrow I hope. I'll let you know if I like it or not.

http://www.radarbusters.com/products/accessories/motorcyles/mounts/motorcycle-mount-application.asp#harleymotorcyclemounts

dagsportster
23rd June 2006, 13:49
I'm trying to find a good place to mount a Garmin i5. I'd thinking about adapting a mount onto the gas cap, if that's possible. I'd like it centered and off the bars. I may pick up an extra cap and see what I can fabricate.

Wardog
23rd June 2006, 15:35
I have a Garmin Quest2 and a ram mount on the right side of my handlebars. It is currently in the shop to have an secondary fuse block installled so that I can power the GPS on a switched circuit on the bike. As soon as I get it back I will take some pictures of it and post.

DustyJacket
23rd June 2006, 15:35
I bought the motorcycle/bicycle mount from the manufacturer.

http://www.dustyjacket.com/mc/gps_tach.jpg

chickenfax
23rd June 2006, 16:15
Ha, a wristwatch. Now that's funny.

I took an old watch and removed the bands. Epoxied a rare-earth magnet to the back and stick it to the bars. Works great!

I fabbed a crude mount for my gps a while back. Basically a piece of wood that I tape the gps unit to. Then I bungee the whole thing to the tank. Worked out pretty well but not easy to install/take off. So it usually sits on the bike while I am doing lunch or whatever.

Planning on fabbing a better handlebar mount. I'll post some pics when I get around to it.

Vegas1200C
24th June 2006, 00:00
I built a "universal" mount for my XM radio and my MP3 player but it would work with about anything I need. I used a piece of 1/8" by 1 1/2" aluminum strip (3 bucks and Home Depot), drilled a hole in it a put a flat headed screw through. On the other side I used a one inch steel spacer and nutted it to a rubber coated 7/8" hose clamp. Covered the top with industrial velcro (loop side) so now all I have to do is put a strip of velcro on whatever I want to stick there. I slapped it up pretty quick so I haven't had time to shape it better but it works great for me and it was dirt cheap.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g316/felslight/100_0237.jpg

bs2100
24th June 2006, 01:58
Vegas1200C, wouldn't that gouge into your tank on slow left turns?

IronX
24th June 2006, 02:04
I aint against it but just a tip if you have all the fancy stuff on it the local thives will be watchin for it too...I would put it back low profile by the seat and make the mount under the tounge of the front of the seat so when you throw it in your pocket a would be thief wont be tempted by seeing all the mounting brackets and know there are expensive goodies strapped to every piece of the bike...

Vegas1200C
24th June 2006, 06:17
Vegas1200C, wouldn't that gouge into your tank on slow left turns?

It misses the tank, the pic angle is deceiving. I can turn the bars all the way and have about a one inch gap under it.

Vegas1200C
24th June 2006, 06:20
I aint against it but just a tip if you have all the fancy stuff on it the local thives will be watchin for it too...I would put it back low profile by the seat and make the mount under the tounge of the front of the seat so when you throw it in your pocket a would be thief wont be tempted by seeing all the mounting brackets and know there are expensive goodies strapped to every piece of the bike...

I'm not sure what you are getting at. When I'm not riding I take the radio with me. If they saw the mounting bracket, even if they knew what it was for, they would have to steal it while I was on the bike. Mounting it on the bars makes it easily to access if I need to mute or what ever.

dagsportster
1st July 2006, 15:00
I bought the motorcycle/bicycle mount from the manufacturer.

http://www.dustyjacket.com/mc/gps_tach.jpg

Whoa -- you've got a LOT goin' on on those bars!