View Full Version : Ironhead gen or alt

7th October 2009, 22:31
i juat found out my gen is junk, no big surprise. lookin through the catalogs, i see an alternator in there to replace the gen. i was wondering if anyone has any experience with these? they are kinda pricey, but so is replacing the gen. and the thought of a reliable electrical system is nice. i have owned brit bikes, and am all to familiar with the prince of darkness.

7th October 2009, 22:45
Hear a thread about the same.......

72 Ironhead XLH
8th October 2009, 01:40
By "junk" ,exactly what is wrong. Armatures can be replaced, brushes,bearings, field coils. Who determined it`s junk.

8th October 2009, 01:46
By "junk" ,exactly what is wrong. Armatures can be replaced, brushes,bearings, field coils. Who determined it`s junk.

If you do it yourself it's cheaper but count in time and the small parts you better off buying a new one .. I am going through the same issues right now
I found new generators for about $100 the armature alone best price I could find is $99

8th October 2009, 02:01
As been said many times and I'll echo it-spend the money and get a Cycle Electric generator. It'll work faultlessly for many years and won't have a weird looking alt on the front of the motor. Generators will keep your wiring original and easy to diagnose and work on. If you're ready to spend $$ on a alt you can afford Cycle Electric.

Ivan RoachCoach
8th October 2009, 18:07
...with ZERO problems.

It's so reliable that I'm aconsidering including it in my will for some lucky beneficiary. :):):)

8th October 2009, 18:23
thanks for the input. my local inde tested mine and said get a new one. and it just so happens he has a used CE gen, so its done CE gen it is. i didnt really like the look of the alt anyway. any suggestions on a reg? electronic, or the cool lookin Bosch?

Ivan RoachCoach
8th October 2009, 18:30
...of them.
Make sure the one you're getting isn't set up like this and actually needs one.
If it's not part of the unit, get an electronic one.

Kicking Big Twins in the motherf******g NUTS since 1957

Viva Los Bastardos!!!

8th October 2009, 18:34
Try the CE one (This may not be the only sight to look) but.

8th October 2009, 18:35
i just talked to him, it has the built on the end reg, so it looks like im all set there. headin over there in a bit to pick it up along with my new clutch basket bearing and new kickstart gear. i cant wait to hear this thing run, its been 26 years since it has..

8th October 2009, 18:52
for the stock look, the gen
for better performance, the alt. the alt will output at idle, the gen usually won't.

Ivan RoachCoach
8th October 2009, 19:06
...are also supposed to, but most are too clapped-out after years of being rebuilt over and over again.

Most should have been shit-canned early on.