PDA

View Full Version : Maximum withd rear tire without mods on the bike ?

Erik
28th May 2007, 14:03
I have a '92 883. My tires are seized 100/90-19 front and 130/90-16 rear. I am a totally newbie on tire changing etc.

So, at the risk of asking a real stupid like question :
- How wide can i go as far as the rear tire is concerned without having to change anything but the tires itself ?
- (and this could be the stupid part) : Does the wider tire always require a different wheel or can the wheel 'carry' a variaty of widths ?

Thx,

Erik

rottenralph
28th May 2007, 14:31
I believe you have chain drive, correct? That will allow you to go wider than a belt. The trick is to measure how much clearance you have on the swingarm on both sides and how much clearance there is to the chain. Most of us offset the spacing on the sprocket to accomodate a wider tire. My guess is that a 150 would be about as wide as you want to go because your curved rear struts will cause the lowest bolt to cut into the tire if you go wider. Some 150's run a hair over 6 inches wide. If there is a lot of space between your chain and tire you will be able to just go wider but spacing is most likely required. If you converted to belt, you will definately have to move the sprocket over.

Lastly, be careful on tire choice. Each manufacturers tires have different widths eventhough they are listed as the same size. I currently run a 150/80/16 (6 inches wide) shark. I have a 120/70/19 on the front but it was a bear to get on the rim and the stock fender won't clear. Great tire for cheap.

Your wheel will accomodate up to a 160 in therear but I doubt you can get it to fit in the swingarm correctly.

Erik
28th May 2007, 14:39
I believe you have chain drive, correct? That will allow you to go wider than a belt. The trick is to measure how much clearance you have on the swingarm on both sides and how much clearance there is to the chain. Most of us offset the spacing on the sprocket to accomodate a wider tire. My guess is that a 150 would be about as wide as you want to go because your curved rear struts will cause the lowest bolt to cut into the tire if you go wider. Some 150's run a hair over 6 inches wide. If there is a lot of space between your chain and tire you will be able to just go wider but spacing is most likely required. If you converted to belt, you will definately have to move the sprocket over.

Lastly, be careful on tire choice. Each manufacturers tires have different widths eventhough they are listed as the same size. I currently run a 150/80/16 (6 inches wide) shark. I have a 120/70/19 on the front but it was a bear to get on the rim and the stock fender won't clear. Great tire for cheap.

Thx Rottenralph, appreciate it, but my '92 has a belt and i kinda thought that would make it difficult to put a 150 on it. But -on the rim/wheel itself, would a 140 fit ?

Erik.

rottenralph
28th May 2007, 17:58
Everything you need to know is right here. Spacing is an issue with any tire upsize on the belt bikes. I thought the 92 and earlier 883's were chanin driven models.