PDA

View Full Version : Sportster Wheelie

A 4 liter V8 eater
29th May 2007, 19:41
When I first got my sportster in Jan. it had a dunlop K591 that was a little dry. I then replced it with a take-off dunlop touring tire at a local chopper shop. These tire loved to spin when I launched it. Well for the first time I have a new dunlop K591 on the back of my bike and I was surprised to find out at the beach this past weekend that now when I launch it, it picks the front tire up, WAY up. I'm not talking a little jump, I mean I can flip the bike backwards if I don't watch out. I was so excited when I found this out that I went to some back roads to practice more. I can't wait to show this off at the next 'neck bike gathering or crowd of girls. I'll see if I can throw a vid up here one day.

Massdog05
29th May 2007, 20:12
hey, i've got the same bike as you, never had the front end come up though or spun the tire on lauch. what motor work do you have? are you slipping the clutch or just powering in first?

A 4 liter V8 eater
29th May 2007, 20:42
You just have to rev it a little and dump the clutch. It takes a couple tries to see how high you have to rev it. I discovered this by accident. I was expecting to launch and spin the rear tire as usual.

07sporty
29th May 2007, 20:47
doing a wheelie on a sporty isnt as hard as some think..first couple times you actually get it all the way up, it'll scare the shyte out if you...but after you get used to it it is easy

niels
30th May 2007, 17:15
What's the procedure? Rev the engine and dump the clutch?

Perhaps rev and dump if no wheelie rev higher and dump? Repeat until front wheel points skyward?

That's awesome!

Bill2
30th May 2007, 18:01
doing a wheelie on a sporty isn't as hard as some think..first couple times you actually get it all the way up, it'll scare the shyte out if you...but after you get used to it it is easy
That's the truth, hell any bike will wheelie by revving and letting the clutch fly even a 50cc bike. That's not saying anything about power, now if you beef up the horsepower and can get up to say 3000 rpms in 1st gear and just gas it and do a power wheelie you got something called horsepower and torque.

Bill2
30th May 2007, 18:12
[QUOTE=niels;754958]What's the procedure? Rev the engine and dump the clutch?

Perhaps rev and dump if no wheelie rev higher and dump? Repeat until front wheel points skyward?

Or repeat till you break a belt. Doing a wheelie by reving and dumping the clutch is way harder on your bike than doing a power wheelie and besides that its smoother looking.

Jimbo999
30th May 2007, 18:58
now if you beef up the horsepower and can get up to say 3000 rpms in 1st gear and just gas it and do a power wheelie you got something called horsepower and torque.

Hell, I can do that on my stage 1 883....Sure it's only about 3" off the ground
and that's all I want to raise it but I think I could do more ( Just don't
wann'a ) I lean forward push on pegs and force it down. I can't dance either
so I know I'd be spazo on wheelies.

:tour

A 4 liter V8 eater
30th May 2007, 19:56
I guess when I say "dump" the clutch I don't just slip my hand off the end of the clutch, i just mean let go of it faster than usual. It's really not that hard on the bike as actually 'dumping" the clutch. Ok, I'll try and go through the procedure.

From either a stop or a slow roll rev the engine to 3000 RPM. As you let the clutch out, full throttle the bike. At this point you are regulating the RPM's with clutch instead of the throttle because the throttle is wide open. It all happens very quickly (about 1 second) and it is hard to watch the tach so go by sound. The point is to keep the rpms the same (3000 RPM) until the clutch is all the way out.

If you have to think about it, it probably wont work. Think drag racing. Rev your engine a hold at 3000 rpm then just LAUNCH!. Like I said before, with all my previous tires it would just do a hole shot, but with this new one it actually hooks up.

xllent01
30th May 2007, 20:17
I can't wait to show this off at the next 'neck bike gathering or crowd of girls. I'll see if I can throw a vid up here one day.

Careful what you wish for in front of mass crowds, :doh :laugh :laugh :doh

Seen it to many times, rider confidence outways rider skills, not saying you don't have the skills to pull it off, but i've seen many good bikes go home in pieces. Good luck and have fun.:banarock

A 4 liter V8 eater
30th May 2007, 23:50
Careful what you wish for in front of mass crowds, :doh :laugh :laugh :doh

Seen it to many times, rider confidence outways rider skills, not saying you don't have the skills to pull it off, but i've seen many good bikes go home in pieces. Good luck and have fun.:banarock

I know, I know. No need to pull an "I.L."

Bob F
3rd June 2007, 15:05
No problem doing a wheelie on my Ultra Classic, but it is hell on the mufflers.

milmat1
20th June 2007, 02:57
Rev the engine wide open as you launch it, Then Feather the clutch just enough to keep the front tire hovering above the ground. When it gets near the rev limit shift second and it will stay up!
Learn to do this right and NO ONE will get away from you at a redlight !!!!