PDA

View Full Version : winter woes- is idleing enough?

papas
19th October 2009, 17:08
my sporty is not going to get ridden this winter and I have no way to hook up a tender. If I start it and let her idle will this be enough to charge the battery some? How long do you think? It's in SC so it's not to drastically cold but I want to share some love with her before I can get out and ride this spring. TIA
steve

Bone
19th October 2009, 17:16
No - starting and idling a bike that is in storage is beyond ridiculous.

You won't (I hope) run it long enough to either properly charge the battery or cook off moisture so it will just contaminate the oil and add un-necessary wear to machined surfaces.

No good will come of it.

If you're worried about the battery, remove it and charge it.

If you want to "bond" with the bike over winter time - perform some maintenance, add an accessory, or wash/wax it.

SpartanDen
19th October 2009, 18:05
I agree.... unless you can put 20-25 miles at a whack on her, you are far better off to pull the battery and put it on a trickle charger for a bit before you plan your fist ride. Best bet is to change fluids and give it a once over, buy a battery tender, hook it up and let it sit. you can get a battery tender jr for around $30-35.... that by far is the best bet.

ozark
19th October 2009, 18:06
my sporty is not going to get ridden this winter and I have no way to hook up a tender. If I start it and let her idle will this be enough to charge the battery some? How long do you think? It's in SC so it's not to drastically cold but I want to share some love with her before I can get out and ride this spring. TIA
steve

General consensus is that it's a bad move.

If you must run it without riding at least turn off the enrichner as soon as possible and rev the engine some.

How long? Until the engine is hot. This depends on the ambient temperature.

If it was my bike I would change the oil, lube,wax it, put a stabilizer in the gas then shut off the pet cock and run the carb dry.

Here's a link if you are interested LINK (http://howtostoreyourmotorcycle.blogspot.com/)

The OEM batteries are pretty good but a tender is still a good investment.

Ozark

papas
19th October 2009, 23:03
thanks...sorta.

I DO NOT have access to power so a trickle charger is NOT an option. It's in a storage unit in a state that is 3,000 miles from me so adding accessories and polishing it is NOT an option. I was going to have a non-riding chum occasionally run it, but as stated and my guess was correct, this ain't gunna happen. It's EFI so no petcock to shut off.

The tank is full and treated. I'll gamble that she'll have enough juice to fire off in FEB or I'll jump or trickle her to get it running.

steve

shotgun46
19th October 2009, 23:10
You can bet A tender real cheap on the net do some searching I found one last year shipped for around 20 bucks and please do run you bike like that

Shu
19th October 2009, 23:56
If your battery was in good shape when you parked it, it'll be fine in a few months when you get back to it. Hot weather is harder on a battery than cold when it comes to storage provided it is fully charged when parked. Since it doesn't get 'that' cold in SC, fire it up on a warmer day and it will crank just fine.

Cosmo Kramer
20th October 2009, 00:02
I DO NOT have access to power so a trickle charger is NOT an option. It's in a storage unit in a state that is 3,000 miles from me so adding accessories and polishing it is NOT an option. I was going to have a non-riding chum occasionally run it, but as stated and my guess was correct, this ain't gunna happen. It's EFI so no petcock to shut off.

What about having your "non-riding chum" pull the battery, get a cheap tender and take it somewhere (said chum's apartment or house) and keep it on the tender there?? I know he/she is just a chum...but I think even Chum's can handle pulling batteries! :D

xllent01
20th October 2009, 00:12
steve

The bikes in SC..why not ride it all year long??

guess that depends how close to the coast you are.. I only live about 3 miles from the beach (direct flight) and it stays warmer here in the winter than say 2 hours north in Raleigh or north of I-95 where they get more snow or colder weather than we do.

Bone
20th October 2009, 15:00
What about having your "non-riding chum" pull the battery, get a cheap tender and take it somewhere (said chum's apartment or house) and keep it on the tender there?? I know he/she is just a chum...but I think even Chum's can handle pulling batteries! :D

+1 :clap:clap

AsSeenOnTV
20th October 2009, 15:10
Does your bike have the security system in it? If it does, the low drain on the battery will kill it before you get back to it. Have somebody unhook your battery if anything else cant be done.

LuxBlue
20th October 2009, 15:11

+2 :clap :banana :banadanc

Rickyrocket
20th October 2009, 15:21
I take mine for a ride about every 2 weeks during the winter here in RI,I have alot of people looking at me like Im nuts but I need to ride its an addiction

sick1200
20th October 2009, 19:02

+3 :banana:doh

Gone
20th October 2009, 19:05
No - starting and idling a bike that is in storage is beyond ridiculous.

You won't (I hope) run it long enough to either properly charge the battery or cook off moisture so it will just contaminate the oil and add un-necessary wear to machined surfaces.

No good will come of it.

If you're worried about the battery, remove it and charge it.

If you want to "bond" with the bike over winter time - perform some maintenance, add an accessory, or wash/wax it.

In this case, I agree with Bone.

I take mine for a ride about every 2 weeks during the winter here in RI,I have alot of people looking at me like Im nuts but I need to ride its an addiction

+1. there was only about 4 weeks I didn't get a ride in last winter.

83XLX
20th October 2009, 19:30
If your battery was in good shape when you parked it, it'll be fine in a few months when you get back to it. Hot weather is harder on a battery than cold when it comes to storage provided it is fully charged when parked.
I agree with this. If the battery's low when you're ready to start it the first time, charge it then. Idling a bike won't put as much charge back into the battery as starting the bike took out of it.