View Full Version : Ironhead First two tanks of gas thru my '77, initial impressions.

22nd October 2009, 20:08
I have been the very happy new owner of a '77 since all of Saturday night. Fortunately for me the weather here in upstate NY has been cooperating so I can get some riding in.

I have gone thru just about 2 full tanks and I can't put into words how much I have been enjoying the experience. She runs,turns and stops strong while making the mechanical symphony only these bikes can. I have put her thru the paces on back country roads and have used it to ride to work the last few days. No surprised or hiccups.

My FSM should be delivered soon and I am looking anxious to get to know my bike a little better.

It is funny that after more than a dozen years and a slew of new/newer bikes including a kick only rigid with an evo(I know), that I finally feel like I am home again. I started out riding vintage bikes by choice most of which were bikes I loved as a kid or that my dad had in the 70's, but was seduced by the new bikes and the maintainace free lifestyle. I eventually became bored as none of the bikes I owned(I am on number 17 now)really spoke to me like my old ones did. I have actually wanted a Sportster for years, but the stealership pissed me off on more than one occasion so I never ended up with one.

I guess it is fitting that my first Sporty is also the bike that is getting me back to my roots. Hell I even wanted one as a kid, but my dad hated them. At that time he was riding Kawi 2 stroke 750's which were quite an experience. I can't wait to see the look on his face the first time he see's "that leaky ass harley" as he always called them.

It feels great to be riding something that makes me feel alive again.

22nd October 2009, 20:53
You're hooked!!! My Mrs wants me to get an Evo Big twin for long rides but I will keep the Ironhead.....they are so........REAL!!!

22nd October 2009, 21:24
You got it in 1, I've had loads of bikes over the years, mostly Harleys but nothing makes me grin as much as an Ironhead, guess thats why I keep ending up with one, again!!