PDA

View Full Version : Why cush drive in Japan market but not US?

MacAttack
2nd June 2007, 02:31
Many bikes have rubber inserts in the drive wheel hub to absorb shock from whacking the throttle, shifting at high speed, etc. I notice Harley does this in the Japan market, but not here. I've always heard it was good to have, to preserve the life of the tranny. Anyone know the answer to this?
They have catalytic converters in the Japan market too, so maybe it's a regulatory thing...

Johnny Wolf
2nd June 2007, 06:38
Maybe because they have belts in lieu of chains...???:dunno

XLFREAK
2nd June 2007, 11:47
Cush drive=rubber mounted bike. Swingarm rubber mounted onto rubbermounted engine.
How much more slop do you actually want?

Gone
2nd June 2007, 15:09
V-rods have a bolt on cush

Jason's Sporty
2nd June 2007, 15:30
Big twins have a spring,and ramp style compensator on the motor sprocket to take up this force. I wonder why Sporty's have never had such a device?

Gone
2nd June 2007, 18:25
Big twins have a spring,and ramp style compensator on the motor sprocket to take up this force. I wonder why Sporty's have never had such a device?

More responsive w/out it...or it's extra weight...or could be the fact that the sporty is more of a upper rpm motor compaired to the low reving torque heavy bT....

myrl883
2nd June 2007, 18:28
I didn't know that the Japanese still used it. My '72 Honda CB350 had it, but that's the only one that I've seen.

AZbiker
3rd June 2007, 11:34
I didn't know that the Japanese still used it. My '72 Honda CB350 had it, but that's the only one that I've seen.

AFAIK, all chain-drive import bikes (Euro & Asian) use a rubber cush drive in the rear hub. Some people take it off of their racebikes for that tiiiiny bit of response from not having one, but my understanding is that removing the cush drive shortens transmission life.

milmat1
3rd June 2007, 13:29
I really get turned on by a little CUSH !!!!:laugh :laugh