PDA

View Full Version : My new Buell XB12Scg... first impressions :D

funnythebunny
2nd November 2009, 01:35
Well, I couldn't resist the temptation any longer. Right after H-D announced the termination of the Buell, I realized it was my last chance to grab the bike I always lusted about.

After negotiating a price with the local dealer (NYC H-D), I made the check and took her home.

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/654/medium/XB12ScgXL883L.jpg

Fist impression going home: I must be nuts! I'm not used to all this power, torque or handling! I touched the front brake and almost fliped over the handlebars.

As soon as I got home, looked up the owners' manual and made the first set of suspension adjustments. I never realized suspensions had so much adjustment! I'm now riding a different bike than the one I took home. It made that much of a difference. I also have had to re-learn braking and leaning. I can actually do both without losing control.

I'm still not comfortable enough to test all the power, but that will keep me in check. :D

So far, the positives:

Powerful engine- still haven't unleashed it all and I'm terrified
adjustable suspension (front and rear preload, compression and rebound)
powerful brakes - who needs dual disks up front?
lightweight frame- I possibly weigh more that the bike's frame?
no chrome or polished aluminum to slave over

The negatives:

I'm used to having the signals on both handlebars.
No self canceling signals.
Kickstand is non-locking - if bike rolls, down it goes.
Aftermarket - really, that few?
Buell Factory Upgrades - really, that few?

The list will grow. This was on the tip of my tongue, just dying to scream it out loud!

To summarize: I can't believe H-D dropped the Buell! What an incredible bike. I love my Sporty, but this Buell make it feel like I'm riding a tractor. Yet, I still enjoy riding that tractor, so for now, I'm keeping both.

:banana:banadanc

Bone
2nd November 2009, 01:41
LOL - glad you're enjoying.

On the brakes - watch it, don't use much when leaning - I mean you already know that, but even moreso when getting used to that front. If you HAVE to brake while leaned, trail brake a little with the rear.

Who needs dual discs? It's deceptive, that radial brake up front probably has a lot more surface area than a lot of dual discs, certainly a TON more than any OEM sportster single disc, so it's not apples-to-apples.

As for upgrades - WTF do you need to upgrade lol ;)

Seriously, have fun and RIDE SAFE

Pork Chop
2nd November 2009, 01:46
Congrats man!

If i was to buy a C.R. it would most definitely be a Buell!

But around here you have to smell like vinegar to ride a rocket!

^^^^^^^^^^^
That means be a douche bag

Not that im calling anyone a D.B.
But around here its kinda required to be a dick if you own one.

But i love the buell!

Hope I dont offend anyone!

= Chop =

ParrotHead
2nd November 2009, 01:50
Congrats on the new bike

funnythebunny
2nd November 2009, 01:54
LOL - glad you're enjoying.

On the brakes - watch it, don't use much when leaning - I mean you already know that, but even moreso when getting used to that front. If you HAVE to brake while leaned, trail brake a little with the rear.

Who needs dual discs? It's deceptive, that radial brake up front probably has a lot more surface area than a lot of dual discs, certainly a TON more than any OEM sportster single disc, so it's not apples-to-apples.

As for upgrades - WTF do you need to upgrade lol ;)

Seriously, have fun and RIDE SAFE

upgrades... like stuff you dump money into so your bike does not to look like the one in the catalogue. :D
P.S. Check out my new rear pulley...

Bone
2nd November 2009, 01:58
upgrades... like stuff you dump money on your bike so as not to look like the one in the catalogue. :D

Or you can just ride it and get it dirty, then it won't look like the one in the catalogue either. ;)

Besides, WHAT CATALOGUE, you won't be seeing any of those anymore either right :doh

rolltide42
15th November 2009, 03:03
Just got home from the dealer got a xb12scg also, its awesome!!! I have had several sport bikes before I got a harley and I really like the torque the Buell has. I always wanted to get a lightning a couple months ago I looked but had trouble finding a used one that wasnt overpriced or beat up, the when I heard about the deals they were making on new ones. I figured why not. The wife wasnt too happy about this but getting any bike 5 grand off original MSRP is hard to resist. Hope you like yours as much as I do mine

PS yeah the aftermarket sucks, and I am sure it aint gonna get any beter

funnythebunny
17th November 2009, 02:08
...PS yeah the aftermarket sucks, and I am sure it aint gonna get any beter

Found a couple of Buell aftermarket sites...

americansportbike.com (http://www.americansportbike.com)

badweatherbikers.com (http://www.badweatherbikers.com)

diesel-moto.com (http://www.diesel-moto.com)

buellparts.net/ (http://www.buellparts.net/)

I just ordered heated grips, so I can extend my riding season. I'm about to order a clutch ramp kit, but next on the list... Pazzo shorty levers! :banana Hope they fit mine...

www.pazzoracing.com (http://www.pazzoracing.com/guide.html)

rottenralph
17th November 2009, 02:20
You might try badweatherbikers.com That is a buell specific web site to fill your needs.

Phaedrus
22nd November 2009, 23:21
I spend a lot of time on badweather lots of buell specific info. Congrats on the new bike.

funnythebunny
23rd November 2009, 03:04
I spend a lot of time on badweather lots of buell specific info. Congrats on the new bike.

Oh yeah, I'm hooked!

testarossa
9th February 2010, 04:08
Congrats for that.. Enjoy a lot!:tour

funnythebunny
10th February 2010, 04:41
Update: I found out just how powerful that front brake is... while slowly approaching an exit, a car got in front of me (cut me off... likely didn't see me in front of the car behind me) and slammed his brakes. I went to stop with both brakes, but I couldn't find the rear brake; I panicked and grabbed a handful of front brake. The front wheel locked up and I lowsided. The bike slid about 6 inches before coming to a full stop. I didn't get hurt at all since I had full gear; the bike only suffered a few scrapes. I ended up replacing the right mirror, right frame puck, and rear brake lever (oh, there it is!) My biggest regret was that the header pipe got a scrape... it's still fully functional but now I won't be able to send it out for ceramic coating, as it has a scrape and they won't touch it unless it's in perfect condition. I'll likely do titanium header wrapping.

Anyways, I figured I applied WAY too much brake because of those huge brake levers... so a little shopping was in store for me...

Pazzo Shorty Levers= adjustable clutch and brake levers... expensive but nice!
OEM Buell heated grips... ooohh they're nice and toasty!
GSG = Engine/frame sliders protect the engine and pipes (no need for engine guards)
DarkHorseMoto = spooled axle sliders front and rear (will be getting frame stands soon)
Muller = clutch ramp designed to reduce clutch effort by 40% (will fit Buells and Sportsters)

Unfortunately, it's too cold outside to go out and enjoy my toys, so off to work I go...

No pics of the updates... bike's under the cover for the winter :(

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/5068_20091221152943_L.jpg

ehrgeiz
17th February 2010, 22:08
Awesome! Congrats on the bike! I picked up an 07 XB12S last week and definitely second what you have to say about the bike. Brakes are wonderful - until I hit the brakes pretty hard and my wife slid up, thus smashing the "boys" between me the rest of me and the tank. Ouch! I asked my wife if she wanted a different seat and she replied "No, but I could use a smaller ass!"

Now I just need to get the ECM cable and do a TPS reset (you don't need the cable on the 08+ models for TPS resets - it's built in to the diags)

Mine has jardine exhaust on it from the PO - sounds pretty good, but not nearly as good as the sporty though. Plenty of intake sound too.

Hope you enjoy your new ride as much as I am enjoying mine!

F'DuponXL
28th February 2010, 17:54
damn funnythebunny i was looking into supermoto bikes for a second bike, but then i thought about the buell xb9s or 12cg. I came here to look at some info... all i gota say is your bike just convinced me to take a ride to the harley dealership today to see what they got kicking around.. nice ride!

F'DuponXL
28th February 2010, 19:38
update... they are sold out of buells, guy i talked to said the last one (1125r) sold last month.. oh well its sunday ill do some calling on monday to the other dealers in my area.. still cant get over how mean that black frame makes that bike look!

Phelan
28th February 2010, 19:58
BadWeb is definitely THE number 1 site for Buells, and the place I spend the most time at these days. I mostly stick to the classifieds, quick board, and old school section though. Can't beat the XB brakes. I put XB wheels and brakes on my S2, because it's that good. I'll have XB forks on it too next week, to get rid of the adapter I built to use the brake.

rottenralph
28th February 2010, 22:41
Low siding sucks. Glad you are o/k. Now it is time to pray for spring.

funnythebunny
1st March 2010, 03:23
update... they are sold out of buells, guy i talked to said the last one (1125r) sold last month.. oh well its sunday ill do some calling on monday to the other dealers in my area.. still cant get over how mean that black frame makes that bike look!

Got to Buell.com (http://www.buell.com/en_us/tools/find-a-bike/); there's a link to help locate remaining Buells in your vicinity... on the meantime, I've been tooling with some pics I took recently...

http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/500/medium/DSC02421.jpg

funnythebunny
1st March 2010, 03:38

Mother Nature doesn't seem to like me these days.... nothing but cold and snow in the forecast.... this is NYC, it should be warm from all the toxic radiation...:wonderlan

Unbalanced
1st March 2010, 19:30

it does, but not as bad as high siding :doh

I came to my Sportster off of a supermoto...I was in a dealer looking at the XB when I sat on a Sportster and was instantly sold.

I really like the stability. The sumo was twitchy as hell. Wore me out riding it. I imagine the XB to be somewhere in between, hope to own one some day.

F'DuponXL
1st March 2010, 23:14
lol,,, hey "ubalanced" im looking into the drz/sm as 2nd bike to my 883r! that is what brought me to the "hey why not look into buell, might be a little more forgiving than a supermoto" conclusion.

Thank you for the link "Funny"! i had stumbled upon that yesterday and ended up calling manchester NH. about a 9sx they had left i love the 12 esp. yours but i could only afford a 9 i think. I live in CT so it was close to me and just talking over the phone he said the price was 6,400 plus a 200 reg. fee. Not bad for just talking to a guy over the phone i say, i would see about a better deal if i went up there with some cash. Except i called my insurance company (progressive) and got the quote, $849 a year full coverage, just cant swing that and a payment :frownthre.... for the time being i will come here and drool over your bike pics :) sorry im not joining the club funny... i got a feeling ill be more sorry if i let it go and miss the chance to grab one new... maybe ill have some luck on the supermoto front....

Phelan
1st March 2010, 23:57
Y'all should look at the used Buell market, from individuals. Resale is crazy low right now. I know of at least 10 clean Buells (some tuber, some XB) under $3500. I'd personally sell mine for $2500 because there's another one in Michigan that I want for $3K.

F'DuponXL
2nd March 2010, 00:08
Y'all should look at the used Buell market, from individuals. Resale is crazy low right now. I know of at least 10 clean Buells (some tuber, some XB) under $3500. I'd personally sell mine for $2500 because there's another one in Michigan that I want for $3K.

Good point! its a buyers market out there for sure... this one is close to me and seems like a good deal..its on my short list.
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mcy/1614060428.html

Phelan
2nd March 2010, 00:13
That looks to be a nice, clean bike, but most '03s in that condition/mileage are selling at 2,9-3,2.

drd1135
2nd March 2010, 00:17
No problem, FB, From what I understand, low-siding is part of the break-in process with a sport-bike. Glad you're OK.

F'DuponXL
2nd March 2010, 00:26
I'm thinking the prices up here in the north east are a little higher than other parts of the country. Atleast that is what i've been encountering with my supermoto search. It seems to be holding true with the buells, that bike is honestly on the low end of prices here. My take on the situation is supply and demand is driving prices up a little higher for this region. There aren't enough people selling and the people who are wont price their bike to sell over the next guys because of it. I just emailed a guy who's drz/sm i looked at a month ago he wanted 4,000 for it, which the few that are posted are trying to be sold at, and i offered 3,500 cash for it. He told me no, i had the truck and the cash there and everything oh well. It just got posted again so i emailed him about 10 mins ago leting him know my offer still stands...

SORRY FOR THE THREAD JACK FUNNY!

Unbalanced
2nd March 2010, 00:27
lol,,, hey "ubalanced" im looking into the drz/sm as 2nd bike to my 883r! that is what brought me to the "hey why not look into buell, might be a little more forgiving than a supermoto" conclusion.

Thank you for the link "Funny"! i had stumbled upon that yesterday and ended up calling manchester NH. about a 9sx they had left i love the 12 esp. yours but i could only afford a 9 i think. I live in CT so it was close to me and just talking over the phone he said the price was 6,400 plus a 200 reg. fee. Not bad for just talking to a guy over the phone i say, i would see about a better deal if i went up there with some cash. Except i called my insurance company (progressive) and got the quote, $849 a year full coverage, just cant swing that and a payment :frownthre.... for the time being i will come here and drool over your bike pics :) sorry im not joining the club funny... i got a feeling ill be more sorry if i let it go and miss the chance to grab one new... maybe ill have some luck on the supermoto front....

thats what I had was a DRZ400SM. It was a blast around town and on curvy roads, but I spend too much time on the slab for that sort of bike, and can't afford to have two (or three, if you count my wifes Ninja). I sometimes miss the agility around tight corners but then I forget about that when I'm on the highway and not fighting for my life to keep the bike on the road.

Again a mainly highway issue, is the DRZ could really have used a 6th gear. I put a 38 tooth rear sprocket (stock is 41 IIRC) on it and it really helped. If you get one, check out thumpertalk.com, they have a great DRZ specific section and will get you started on the easy mods and the ones that really wake it up. Supermotojunkie.com is another good forum.

One thing you're sure to like is the idea of buying an almost top-of-the line full stainless system exhaust for $450, and a real top of the line titanium one for around $600.

F'DuponXL
2nd March 2010, 00:50
Again a mainly highway issue, is the DRZ could really have used a 6th gear. I put a 38 tooth rear sprocket (stock is 41 IIRC) on it and it really helped. If you get one, check out thumpertalk.com, they have a great DRZ specific section and will get you started on the easy mods and the ones that really wake it up. Supermotojunkie.com is another good forum.

My SMJ screen name is "f'duponmotard" :D..... Thank you for the tips though!
Im hope'n that the used drz works out. Would you believe that i went to a dealer over the weekend for a white 09 left over and offered $6,800 out the door and they let me walk!!! :frownthre...

funnythebunny
2nd March 2010, 01:41
Around here, if you walk into those import bike shops with a HD t-shirt they'll likely turn down whatever reasonable offer just to piss you off... >:{

As for the insurance, I had to cut back on other stuff like cable tv, magazine subscribtions and going to the movies. Turns out I could afford the insurance without crying about it.