PDA

View Full Version : Why a Plug in the Slow jet?

IronMick
30th April 2005, 23:44
Running Cycle Shack slashies with no baffles, and an original Ham with 6 holes in the back plate for more air flow, and with a K&N filter. Plugs are always clean after a ride but i am not sure about the color - light gray or are they getting close to white? Oil tem gauge read 225`F on a long ride on a cool day. I am thinking it may be running too lean.

Kehin carb. I upped the main from 160 to 165. Had not even thought about the slow jet. Had the float bowl off and the slow, right there beside the main, is covered with a rubber plug. It even shows the plug in the schematic diagrams in the manual.

So, how does it work then? And should i try a larger slow jet? It seems that it would be operational more of the time than the main.

cantolina
1st May 2005, 01:09
Yes, clearly your slow jet is most important to everyday riding.....

"do what thou whilst, shall be the whole of the law".... ~ Alestair Crowley

IronMick
1st May 2005, 01:24
Yes, clearly your slow jet is most important to everyday riding.....

"do what thou whilst, shall be the whole of the law".... ~ Alestair Crowley

YaBut: Why the rubber plug where it enters the float bowl? How does this jet work?

cantolina
1st May 2005, 01:26
If its in the manual, trust it, and treat it as you would any other slow jet........

IronMick
1st May 2005, 01:32
If its in the manual, trust it, and treat it as you would any other slow jet........

Ya gotta be kidding me, eh?! Trust just because it is in the manual? Not ever!! It is important to me to understand how things work so i can spot the errors in the manuals and those made by POs and some DPOs, and get things going as good as possible. So i repeat again, how does this thing work? What about that plug?

cantolina
1st May 2005, 01:41
Fair enough...

Let's consider...

Does the plug appear to make a difference in the fuel flow? Is there an alternate route for the fuel to run?

What IS the fuel flow route?

eh? lol

IronMick
1st May 2005, 02:21
... eh? lol

OK. I talked to my local inde and RTFM. Now i get it. I was incorrect in how i thought it worked. I can easily see in the pics what the fuel path is; all i had to do really was look.

The pilot screw should be out about 1,1/2 turns for good running. If it must be out way more than that, then that is an indication the slow jet is too small. I think i have mine out at least three full turns. Tomorrow i will re-count my turns out and check the slow jet to see what is in there. Stock for the slow jet is #68 [i think; the FM is in the workshop].

Thank you for listening to all this and for helping out!

cantolina
1st May 2005, 02:26
OK. I talked to my local inde and RTFM. Now i get it. I was incorrect in how i thought it worked. I can easily see in the pics what the fuel path is; all i had to do really was look.

The pilot screw should be out about 1,1/2 turns for good running. If it must be out way more than that, then that is an indication the slow jet is too small. I think i have mine out at least three full turns. Tomorrow i will re-count my turns out and check the slow jet to see what is in there. Stock for the slow jet is #68 [i think; the FM is in the workshop].

Thank you for listening to all this and for helping out!

Awesome......knew it could be figured out logically...

Glad you got it straight.. :)

74FeHeadXLH
1st May 2005, 03:16
That was some interesting manual dialog....as opposed to the automatic, usually when the mistakes are made...lol

IronMick
2nd May 2005, 04:25
My idle mixture screw is 1,3/4 turns out. I am not going to bother going in there to see what jet it is. Leavin' it alone.

dabronco
2nd May 2005, 05:05
Yeah Mick I thought it wierd too and then saw that the pilot jet is fed from the main inlet.