PDA

View Full Version : 5000mi. Service

Demon2Alpha
5th November 2009, 19:27
Im about due for my 5k service. Last time it was about $300 for my 1k service. Should I take it back to the dealer or find an indy shop? I like the dealer b/c I can drop it off and pick it up 2 hours later, but for the price, I don't know.... I know the indy shop by my house will take about a week just to do the oil and filter change. Being that my XL is my primary mode of transportation, I like to get it done quickly. Wish they had loaner bikes like at car dealerships....

Recon Dad
6th November 2009, 05:33
If you have the money and not the time get the dealer to do it.

I bought the service manual and a good jack and did it myself on weekends.

The first weekend I changed the fluids. The next two weekends I did the checks and adjustments. Spent about one hour/weekend and three hours total.

colonelangus
6th November 2009, 06:44
Im about due for my 5k service. Last time it was about $300 for my 1k service. Should I take it back to the dealer or find an indy shop? I like the dealer b/c I can drop it off and pick it up 2 hours later, but for the price, I don't know.... I know the indy shop by my house will take about a week just to do the oil and filter change. Being that my XL is my primary mode of transportation, I like to get it done quickly. Wish they had loaner bikes like at car dealerships....

its new under warrenty get the dealer to do this one then start doing your own oil & filter first and move into larger stuff as you feel comfortable.i had the first 2 services done on mine and now im doing them .

Texas_Wild
6th November 2009, 07:04
Do it yourself you will save the money and connect with your ride! I know it kind of wierd it just a machine but you said it your daily driver so she is part of you! It makes you enjoy the ride even more when you know when she is ill and when she is loving you! Begging you to ride her! I dont know all that intales the 5k service but oil, filter and checks are easy! Grab a manual read it at lunch or when you can asap and then do it!

We (XL Forum) are here to help and after your done its a sence of accomplishment thats wonderful!!!

luisuie
6th November 2009, 08:03
You get it back in two hours? When the dealer does mine its guaranteed back within 48 hours, and I thought that was fast. They detail it also at no charge and it looks awesome again so I'm happy.

vwjodyme
6th November 2009, 17:10
I had no idea the services were so expensive and started looking for alternatives on here when my 1000mi came due. I ended up getting the HD service manual for $48 + $6 s&h on ebay. It really walks you though everything you need to do for each service. The 1000 mile service is really only replacing two things (oil is one) and inspecting a bunch more, and it costs $275 at my local dealer! The service manual will save you a ton just in one service:banana

bigjnsa
6th November 2009, 17:14
Just wait until the 20k service, the dealer wanted $690 for mine.

joesporty
7th November 2009, 03:38
+1 manual bike jack and doing it yourself..no special tools needed really..some larger sockets and star bits..mine went to the hd shop once for a blown nuetral light only reason i took it was the harness was 200 bucks and my warranty would cover it (thank you again xl forums)...other than that ive done all my own service...did the 1k...just did the 5k last weekend....most of the stuff i do all the time such as belt tension,primary tension..bolt checking..checking the tires,breaks,suspension,wires....

i love the feeling of doing my own maintance makes riding the bike more enjoyable really knowing eveything is done right and youll save lots of cash....sure the hd shop is fast...but are they really checking everything in the 2 hours??? or is the tech skipping over things..nobody knows.....if your do your own wrenching then if your bike does break down youll stand a better chance of fixing it on the side of the road..

you can buy the manual,bike jack,and all the tools needed to turn your sporty into a pile of parts for under 300 bucks

Pork Chop
7th November 2009, 03:42
I let the dealer do my first 2 but then I started doing my own

And thats a hell of a lot cheaper than any shop!

Bob F
7th November 2009, 22:52
I can drop it off and pick it up 2 hours later, but for the price, I don't know.

This service should take more like 5 hours to do.

beanerblank
9th November 2009, 18:38
Why? From the manual it says an oil change and a visual inspection of tires, brakes, etc. And a clutch, primary chain adjustment.