PDA

View Full Version : Need Ideas - Best way to temporarily disable a car.

AOW
8th June 2007, 18:09
My dad has a rapidly progressing dementia and now shouldn't be driving but continues to do so. He'll be combative if I try to take his keys or try to talk him out of them so I'm going to disable his 2005 Toyota Highlander so he won't be able to drive it. I don't think he'll be able to figure out what's wrong and I don't think he's got the capacity to look up a mechanic to come out to look at the car.

I'm thinking of switching a few of the spark plug wires around or putting some paper in the spark plug wires and replugging them. That may end up being too easy to figure out so I'm wondering if anyone has any other quick, easy, effective, and reversible ideas.

Thanks.

Shevieman
8th June 2007, 18:12
pull the rotor on the distributor.

unfiguroutable
8th June 2007, 18:12
kill switch

blakjak
8th June 2007, 18:14
Do they even use distributors any more?

Anyway - just pull the fuse/relay out of the fuse block under the hood that runs the fuel pump relay. Just look on the bottom of the lid or in the owners manual and it'll tell you which one it is. Easy to pull out and easy to plug back in.

KC_Sportster
8th June 2007, 18:17
Look at the fuse box/block and pull ignition-relation fuses.

Carl-04XL
8th June 2007, 18:20
Pull a fuse or two.
Disconnect the ignition switch harness under the dash.
Disconnect the computer.
Cap the intake.
If it has a coil/distributor, do the paper trick on that cable.

Go to your local NAPA, Autozone, Advance, Shucks/Kragen/Checkers, etc... car parts place and explain the situation and see what they advise.

cantolina
8th June 2007, 18:23
My dad has a rapidly progressing dementia and now shouldn't be driving but continues to do so. He'll be combative if I try to take his keys or try to talk him out of them so I'm going to disable his 2005 Toyota Highlander so he won't be able to drive it. I don't think he'll be able to figure out what's wrong and I don't think he's got the capacity to look up a mechanic to come out to look at the car.

I'm thinking of switching a few of the spark plug wires around or putting some paper in the spark plug wires and replugging them. That may end up being too easy to figure out so I'm wondering if anyone has any other quick, easy, effective, and reversible ideas.

Thanks.

Remove, or partly remove, the primary wire....

AOW
8th June 2007, 18:23
I knew I came to the right place. Thanks for the ideas but I can't figure out the "Kill Switch" idea but that's probably 'cause he's so unfigureoutable.

Thanks!

lagerdrinker
8th June 2007, 18:25
fuel pump fuse is good idea also kill switch is good. cover up your tracks by leaving lights on to kill battery.

lagerdrinker
8th June 2007, 18:27
and while your at it...wire the horn into turn signal wiring. thatll stop him from joyriding

AOW
8th June 2007, 18:33
I thought the Kill Switch was a joke, sorry. Where might I find that?

unfiguroutable
8th June 2007, 18:37
I thought the Kill Switch was a joke, sorry. Where might I find that?

just put a simple togle switch from radio shack in a hidden spot under the dash. ___________________/___________________

unfiguroutable
8th June 2007, 18:38
http://www.atvaonline.com/News/06/images/KillSwitch.jpg
like this

DIESEL
8th June 2007, 18:41
Remove the battery, or get a dead one from the junk yard.

Ignition Fuses would be the easiest

unfiguroutable
8th June 2007, 18:42
http://www.atvaonline.com/News/06/images/KillSwitch.jpg
like this

really this is easy

skull1313
8th June 2007, 19:25
disconnect one of the battery cables

unfiguroutable
8th June 2007, 19:32
disconnect one of the battery cables

he siad he was organic not retarded

dracolich
8th June 2007, 19:32
Keylock switch on the end of the ignition wire after the console key would be better than a toggle. Can be found for a few bucks at pepboys, autozone, etc..

lagerdrinker
8th June 2007, 19:37
how about a second switch on parking brake that cuts ground to ignition when applied, so he'll have to take off parking brake before it starts.

sprtrjl
8th June 2007, 19:48
Just pull the igntion or fuel pump fuse, or put a blown one in it's place. No need to start hacking into the wiring harness. hat might cause you corrosion problems later.

Trynot2die
8th June 2007, 19:56
Dont make this harder than it is. Just take out the battery and hide it. If you dont think he is capable of contacting a mechanic then I doubt he will be able to get a battery.

blakjak
8th June 2007, 19:58
Dont make this harder than it is. Just take out the battery and hide it. If you dont think he is capable of contacting a mechanic then I doubt he will be able to get a battery.

Ummm - it's a lot easier to pull a fuse than a battery.

Daali
8th June 2007, 20:01
how about a second switch on parking brake that cuts ground to ignition when applied, so he'll have to take off parking brake before it starts.

I've got the kill switch on a vehicle now, I never thought of this. This is pretty clever!

wabiker
8th June 2007, 20:10
Im with the Fuel Pump Relay in the fuse box... easy peasy japanesy.

klown
8th June 2007, 20:22
Sugar in the gas tank, drain the oil, all purpose flour in the oil tank, cut the brake lines, drain the power steering fluid. Lock the throttle body so it's wide open all the time, loosen all the lug nuts, slash the tires. Well that's all I can think of right now :smoke

Now can I get some rep from somebody? :smoke

Prebs
8th June 2007, 20:29
Sorry to hear about ya dad... (its hard getting old)...

Sorry No ideas how to disconnect the car.

:laughId give ya a rep. but it says I cant rep ya yet :dohSugar in the gas tank, drain the oil, all purpose flour in the oil tank, cut the brake lines, drain the power steering fluid. Lock the throttle body so it's wide open all the time, loosen all the lug nuts, slash the tires. Well that's all I can think of right now :smoke

Now can I get some rep from somebody? :smoke

flathead45
8th June 2007, 20:30
pull all four tyres and chain them to a tree

get a club and put it on. 50 bucks and its stopped cold no damage

http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE-989278reg.jpg

xllent01
8th June 2007, 20:32
Just pull the ignition relay under the hood or inside the car, dang car will crank but no start :laugh :laugh :laugh don't take but 2 seconds and the car is disabled.

That's what i do when staying out of town, atleast i can sleep and i know my GMC truck will be there in the morning.

07sporty
8th June 2007, 20:38
pullng the ignition or the fuel pump fuses is the easiest way to do it...thats what we do on trucks to test, it wont start!

SportyJoe
8th June 2007, 21:07
Im for the Relay pullling, and the kill switch is a great idea...if you dont want to do either, try putting a couple of cynder blocks under the rear axel...just high enough to lift the rear tires off the ground (assuming this is a rear wheel drive vehicle.. he'll be able to start it, but it wont go any where.. or.... pull the coil wire, take the rubber boots off of it, buy a short piece of black vaccumm/gas line hose, put the boots on the ends of the hose, and put it in place of the coil wire... looks just like the wire.. but no workie!

DC in PHX
8th June 2007, 21:29
Have Buddy Stubbs HD work on it. Just ask Batpappy.....
DC

DJJSR
8th June 2007, 21:52
You should call the local Toyota service department and explain your situation. Some of the suggestions here either can't be done, or are difficult to do without a wiring diagram. Some can cause electrical damage that will be costly to repair. I've got a Toyota truck and there's no way I'd cut into that harness to install a kill switch without some guidance from Toyota.

SportyJoe
9th June 2007, 00:22
Have Buddy Stubbs HD work on it. Just ask Batpappy.....
DC

I heard that one!!!

Mr Jimi
9th June 2007, 00:36
Im with the Fuel Pump Relay in the fuse box... easy peasy japanesy.

For some reason I know your signature will NOT show in this quote thing but I would like to thank you very much from the both of us.
Thanks Wabiker for the support
Jim & Lorraine
:tour

btkicker
9th June 2007, 00:48
Pulling the ignition/fuel pump fuse is the easiest idea.

ReddTigger
9th June 2007, 01:00
Pull the Fuse. Easiest way to leave dad stranded, YOU will NOT void any warranty issues and it's really easy to replace the fuse to get back on the road..

AOW
9th June 2007, 01:28
Thanks to everyone! I did pull the fuse for the fuel pump and the car sounds like it's trying, but just won't start. I'm glad I don't have to be there when he discovers the car won't run!

wabiker
9th June 2007, 01:34
Thanks to everyone! I did pull the fuse for the fuel pump and the car sounds like it's trying, but just won't start. I'm glad I don't have to be there when he discovers the car won't run!
Got to thinking about this.... prolly should pull the Neg cable off too... Dont want him to fry the Battery/Starter if he does try to bail. He may figure out the batt, but w/o the relay it wont matter.

atasty39
14th June 2007, 08:39
Just another idea that is similar to pulling the relays. We have installed a "theft avoidance module" from these guys http://www.emergingent.com/retail/cyclops/index.html
on our F250 turbodiesel that kept it from being stolen from the parking lot at my wife's Costco. It is a bit spendy, but it immobilizes the vehicle, and you don't have to keep messing with pulling the relay in and out with the possibility of breaking something doing it. It also gives us peace of mind on the Jeep too!

Sandman
14th June 2007, 08:51
There ya go AOW, the fuse is probably the easiest, and doesn't tip him off that you did anything. Removing the battery or a club on the steering wheel I think would tip him off that someone is trying to stop him, even in his state of mind. Anyway...hope nothing but the best for your dad. Good luck!

Roadster_Rider
14th June 2007, 08:57
If it were an older vehicle i would make suggestions, but considering it's age, i'd just end up making a fool of myself. Hope this all works out for you.

xena
14th June 2007, 13:08
Thanks to everyone! I did pull the fuse
for the fuel pump and the car sounds like it's trying, but just
won't start. I'm glad I don't have to be there when he discovers the car won't run!

First I want to say that I feel for you because my
brother and I went through the same thing with
our Mom back in 99.
Second thing I want to tell you is, to sell his car
as soon as possible. Out of sight out of mind.
It sounds like you have a hard road ahead of you.
Our Mom is now in an alzheimers care facility.
Pm me if you ever need to vent.

cuban_sporty_rider
14th June 2007, 14:12
i also know how you feel. we had to do the same thing to my grandfather a few years before his death. he didnt have any dymentia or alzhimers thank god, but he backed into a FIRE TRUCK 3 times before noticing it and when parking in his drive way he ran into the house 4 times. and the last 2 were after repairing the house and setting a huge cement parking stop you see in parking lots. all we did was pulled the primary coil wire, gutted the core and sheilding a little bit, filled it with some RTV (silicone gasket maker) so it felt normal and put it back on after drying. it took a couple of weeks untill he got tired of having us come over to check it out every other day, and finally got used to having my aunt and dad just pick him up. best of luck to you man. i know it is hard and terrible feeling, but your saving his, and others, lives in the long run. when your done, just be patient with him for the first few weeks. you may have to lie a bit.