PDA

View Full Version : 40 vs 80 spoke

Rube
11th June 2007, 20:16
I seem to see a lot of 80 spoke rear wheels and 40 only for the front. I have a 88 sporty that I'm looking around for some new wheels. Anyone have experience with the 80 spoke usually on EBay for like 150 dollars? I don't mind paying more for a quality wheel but if the cheaper ones are good why do it? Why do I never seem to see 80 spoke for the front?
I'm considering getting a 18 rear and 21 front (have 16/19) to get a little more height (I'm 6'3) is this reasonable on my year bike?
What do you other taller riders have for wheel combo suggestions?

Thx for any replies!

Joe Dirt
11th June 2007, 21:07
I'm considering getting a 18 rear and 21 front (have 16/19) to get a little more height (I'm 6'3) is this reasonable on my year bike?

A 21" front is only slightly taller than a 19", and generally the same is true for the rear. It has more to do with the tire size than rim diameter. For instance, you could have a low profile 18" that is shorter overall than a tall sidewall tire on a 16". To get more height, shocks or a different seat would be better. ;)

No reason that you couldn't do it; it just wouldn't be the best way to achieve what you are wanting to do. Just personal preference, but I love 40 spoke wheels.

Rube
13th June 2007, 03:56
Humm so no one has experience buying the cheap spoke rims from ebay>? ALso is stainless worth getting over chrome to reduce poishing time?

Joe Dirt
13th June 2007, 23:58
Humm so no one has experience buying the cheap spoke rims from ebay>? ALso is stainless worth getting over chrome to reduce poishing time?

No first hand experience with them, but when I was shopping around for what to do on mine, the hubs on some of the cheaper aftermarket rims looked a bit cheesy compared to the stock HD aluminum hubs. So I used stock HD hubs, Excel steel rims,(didn't have the $$$ for aluminum) and Buchanan's stainless spokes. The stainless spokes are just wash and go, no polishing.

If you have spoke wheels now, you could lace to your stock hubs. My 18"x4.25" rear rim was $125 and the spokes $100. www.buchananspokes.com

dagsportster
14th June 2007, 01:03
I seem to see a lot of 80 spoke rear wheels and 40 only for the front.

I'm the opposite -- I replaced my front HD Profile laced wheel with an American Wire 80-spoke and left the rear 40-spoke intact. On a sporty, with the sprocket on the right and the rotor on the left, I don't think you can see as much as the rear wheel. They're pricey, though, so I've thought about the cheaper alternatives, but have no experience. I'd love a set of radial spokes fore and aft, but can't afford that now.

http://homepage.mac.com/dagruber/.Pictures/XL/dgarr3.jpg