PDA

View Full Version : what's your winter project?

engine
7th December 2004, 05:58
...For those of you that actually do have a winter...
What are your projects for your bike?
I'm getting forward controls, bullet turn signals, tombstone tail light, and 6" straight risers, and working on my sissy bar.
...now if the forward controls fit with the pipes I have, then I'm done with that. If they don't fit, I'll have to do a little pipe redesigning...I'm not sure what pipes I have, they look like Cycle Shack SS pipes with removable baffles, baloney cut.

Also have a dash retrofit for my Camaro waiting...

Smitty001
7th December 2004, 06:14
Mabey a cam + carb

EZ Writer
7th December 2004, 06:40
"...For those of you that actually do have a winter..."

Drat... Took the wind right out of my sails - after reading the subject, I coudn't wait to tell you that my project was going to be about 5k miles worth of riding! :tour

I love Hawaii!! :clap

sportymark
7th December 2004, 07:19
My supposed winter project took off as soon as I got my bike in July and has'nt stopped yet!

I have ordered some more chrome bling bits to add and depending on finances I see if I can get anything else!

marco883
7th December 2004, 07:44
Just started my "winter project" tonite, installed dual disc kit and changed fork oil. Oil was kinda dirty for 6000 miles!? Next rear sets!

FastFwd
7th December 2004, 09:00
Like EZ Writer, ride whenever possible... :rolleyes:

missyd
7th December 2004, 11:24
A chopped rear fender with a LED light ... ;)
But only if I get the time to do it.
Too many other interests at the moment.... :rolleyes: :frownthre

twinsporty
7th December 2004, 12:45
1200 conversion, change brake pads, and anything else that I can get away with (w/o pissing off the wife)

txsporty
7th December 2004, 13:05
Winter!!! What's that?? :yikes

1200 Conversion, Ride!!! :D

Ole
7th December 2004, 13:07
anything else that I can get away with (w/o pissing off the wife)
:lmaorof

I know EXACTLY what you mean!

I plan on an 883 front sprocket, new plugs and wires and possibly some floorboards. Nothing too major...

Shark Doctor
7th December 2004, 13:30
Major custom paint job... and, if Santy is good to me, perhaps a larger tank and bobtail fender for my 1200R BEFORE the paint job!

883Hugger
7th December 2004, 13:33
Handlebar swap, painted spokes, billet footpegs, '05 headlight, and of course...more chrome.

sportsterrific
7th December 2004, 13:40
Damn, I forgot all about winter until we got a big dump of snow yesterday. I'm moving tomorrow, and I have to ride my bike from my current house to my new house, weather be damned! It's only 10 minutes away and it's supposed to be about 5C tomorrow and the snow should melt. I'm rolling my bike into my living room where she's staying nice and warm and safe all winter. The new house needs a lot of work so my $$$'s going toward that.

xl1200r
7th December 2004, 14:02
Well, for the bike:

I have a 1200R, so I'm moving to the narrower 883 bars
Pro-Series Hypercharger
Possibly Suppertrap 2:1 Exhaust
Chin Spoiler and Headlamp Visor
Some chrome tidbits (derby cover, some bolt covers, and the cylinder fin bridge)

Nothing big - something I can take care of in an afternoon...

dwardy
7th December 2004, 15:23
My winter project(s) started in July. Started with an all stock '92 883.

1200 conversion
SE air cleaner
CS slip ons
rejet
horseshoe breather
added a tach
replaced the stolen emblem on the back of the sissy bar
New gas tank (arriving this week)

Only thing left is a badly needed front tire which I'll have for Daytona.

gwcrim
7th December 2004, 15:53
-Wheel bearings, new chain & sprockets, swingarm R&R on the KX500.
-Front end rebuild including replacing 7/8 controls and clip ons with 1" drag bars on Roadkill my Sportster.
-New tires and possibly powdercoated rims on the '99 1200S, aka: Diablo Debbie.

waterboy
7th December 2004, 15:54
Just finished my conversion. Will ride the rest of the cold days. I will be upgrading the tail light to LED. Ever since the MO CO recalled my tail light I can't get 500 mi out of a bulb.

Ole, you changin the sprocket from the 29 to the 27???. I was going to start a thread in conversions to see how many converts went to the 29 tooth now that they have the power to pull it. This is the first I have heard of going the other way. Just looking for some more spunk?? What's your motivation??

XLFREAK
7th December 2004, 16:35
If I can unload all my RC stuff, 1200 conversion.

If not, some more pretty stuff.

IronMick
7th December 2004, 18:20
My 1980 XLH1000: strip down the whole thing, except the motor, detail with a toothbrush, m-cycle cleaner, metal polish & chrome polish. Probably go thru many toothbrushes. Also have a 6" bench grinder with two polishing wheels for larger parts.

This very sweet bike will both rock and roll come spring!

cypher
7th December 2004, 19:51
Depends on what Santa brings me (or doesn't...and I have to get it myself)!!

And....I'm still going to etch my windshield. If it turns out half way decent, I'll post pictures and a how to.

TechRep
7th December 2004, 23:44
Conversion
Andrews N2's
Twin Tec TC88A
Everythings in place and sittin' on the work bench. I was going to put it back together last weekend but ..... stuff happens. Looking forward to this weekend.

Oh ya... and some paint work.
Techrep

Mark914
8th December 2004, 03:31
1200 conversion, handlebars, sissy bar, upsweep drag pipes.

Scarecrow2311
8th December 2004, 19:37
Well for sure will be the Following:
-Chin Spoiler
-West Coast Choopers "Forty" front fender
-Custum Flame paint job
-Misc small chrome bits ( Derby, Bolt covers, etc..)

Rest will be "IF" I can afford it:
-Progressive 11.5 In 412 rear
-Progressive Front spring & 15wt oil
-Mustang Vintage Solo w/ passenger pad
-Front & rear Avon White Wall tires
-getting Bikersfriend Lg Saddle bag ( is Santa is nice to me )

Still debating on paiting vs powder coating the Stock rims red ( only rim not hub or solid disc part ) vs buying new Wire wheels front & back already Red

Guinnessharp
9th December 2004, 14:33
My winter project: LEARN HOW TO RIDE IN THE SNOW! :yikes

iron68
9th December 2004, 14:43
New paint
New bars

New top end

Pretty much freshen the old girl up a bit, oh and maybe a little more rake and fork while I have her apart.

flathead45
9th December 2004, 14:46
chin spoilers ? all they do is get in my way when curb jumping , I need a skid plate

3legdog
9th December 2004, 15:01
Painting orange and Diamond cutting juggs, and yaffe crack pipes. maybe springer front end

woody95
9th December 2004, 16:07
As I already have the 1200 kit, plan to get the heads done. New carb (Mikuni)
A set of cams, new valves and adjustable pushrods. Plus all the cleaning and polishing I can get done in the 5 mos. of winter :cry1
Bob

seajay
9th December 2004, 17:25
Install SE cams. Install adj. ign. Send heads to Nallin for stage 1 work and mild milling.

stein
9th December 2004, 17:34
;) Since i`ve allready have done conversion and the headworks allso done, i`ve been shopping heavily at E-bay, looking foward to this winter.
This is some of the parts i`ve got in the garage:
-Mikuni HSR 42
-Forcewinder XR-2 intake/filter/breather.
- 3 degree headcups and a lowering kit for the rear.
- Lay back LED rear light.(Last summer i used 5 bulbs!!!!!)
- Breaded idle/trottle/clutch cabels, from Magnum.
and MORE CROME!

I allso hope my buddy has the time to finish the paintwork. (racing flag on the fenders, like my gastank, ang ghostflames on top.)

Stein

Chuck
9th December 2004, 17:41
I'm going to rebuild front master cylinder, then service mine and my girlfriends. Might do the tranny fluid too.

picowatt
9th December 2004, 17:44
1200 conversion
se intake
bassani pro streets
12 inch rise narrow glide ape hangers
Licks cycles springer seat (red)
relocate coils and key
gas tank and fenders depend on if I can get spares to cut up

jag1
9th December 2004, 20:09
1200 conversion
se intake
bassani pro streets
12 inch rise narrow glide ape hangers
Licks cycles springer seat (red)
relocate coils and key
gas tank and fenders depend on if I can get spares to cut up

Hey Picowatt,
I would love to see a picture of that seat on your ride when your done.

dabronco
10th December 2004, 03:33
Polish, rub, buff, drink beer, admire, ride,polish, rub, buff, drink beer, admire, ride,polish, rub, buff, drink beer, admire, ride,polish, rub, buff, drink beer, admire, ride,polish, rub, buff, drink beer, admire, ride,polish, rub, buff, drink beer, admire, ride,polish, rub, buff, drink beer, admire, ride,polish, rub, buff, drink beer, admire, ride,polish, rub, buff, drink beer, admire, ride,polish, rub, buff, drink beer, admire, ride,polish, rub, buff, drink beer, admire, ride,polish, rub, buff, drink beer, admire, ride,

dabronco
10th December 2004, 03:34
Not necessarily in that order! :D

Elden
10th December 2004, 04:01
http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/e/mearhart/elden/Bugs.jpg
I plan on installing apes.

cantolina
10th December 2004, 05:03
Since I only got her 6 mos ago, the winter project began around October. After paying the taxes, new bars (weighted with pennies), tapered mirrors, grips, small windshield and just this week finished the rear directional/running light set-up...only thing left is the 1200 conversion (just waiting for a cold stretch to take the top end off and have it bored.....parts are just waiting..) AND a killer classic King/Queen so the old lady can see over my head... :clap

:tour :smoke

AdO650
10th December 2004, 11:28
The tranny's in bits as I type,
Fatboy rear wheel,
Chrome yokes (triple trees),
Chrome rear pulley,
later model primary case conversion,
Fat bob rear fender.
Paint job
Carb re-build
That's about it, got most of the bit and pieces just need some spare time,
(three months till spring) :tour

picowatt
10th December 2004, 17:00
No problem JAG1 I will probably fully install it this weekend, right now it is just sittingon the bike so I can see how it looks.

blueglide88
10th December 2004, 20:30
I'm gonna replace my brake lines, carb, and pipes on my 1988 FLHS. Then I'll turn my attention to my Sporty. I want to increase my braking power. The front brake on my '04 1200C leaves a little to be desired. I'd also like to add some chrome.

NedNimrod
11th December 2004, 01:29
My winter project is to ride my 1200R as much as I can. I rode today wearing my usual
jeans and T shirt. I also did this yesterday and the day before. Oh, the joy of living in south Florida.
Ned

SportsterSpive
11th December 2004, 05:39
Hmm, definately ride since the winters are mild. I just put on the Bassani 2-1 and I have a laundry list of other mods, including:

- Sport Bars
- 1200S Forks
- T/S Relocation kit
- Trim bobtail license plate bracket
- Dual Discs
- Temp Dipstick

I even have most of that ordered!

--Sean

dwardy
11th December 2004, 06:42
Ahhh...my new tank finally arrived today from paint. I'll be doing the plumbing tomorrow and should have pictures real soon. Damn, it looks huge on there.

dwardy
11th December 2004, 23:25
Well...
I'm excited. I wish the weather was better. I spent the day wrenching. Got the new tank done. I thought the petcock was gonna be a problem fitting in the limited space on the left side but went on very nicely without a hitch.
As it happens, the solo seat I grabbed off ebay arrived today as well, so I removed the lay-Z-boy seat, saddle bags, and sissy bar and slapped that on as well. I can't believe the difference in the look of the bike.

Before: All stock '92 883

dwardy
11th December 2004, 23:27
...and After
1200 conversion
added tach
CS slip-ons
rejet
SE air cleaner
breather
Big fat tank
Hugger solo seat

Broncodog
12th December 2004, 02:21
Your right Dwardy, looks like a different bike! Nice job :clap

eastcoastiron
24th May 2005, 07:06
Well...
I'm excited. I wish the weather was better. I spent the day wrenching. Got the new tank done. I thought the petcock was gonna be a problem fitting in the limited space on the left side but went on very nicely without a hitch.
As it happens, the solo seat I grabbed off ebay arrived today as well, so I removed the lay-Z-boy seat, saddle bags, and sissy bar and slapped that on as well. I can't believe the difference in the look of the bike.

Before: All stock '92 883How come I dont see any photos in my threads??? This sucks,,Befor and after I dont see anything on my screen :smoke :smoke :smoke I must have :smoke to much grass