PDA

View Full Version : Problem with lights

pestybrat
13th June 2007, 10:04
Headlights and rear signal lights do not work when on LO and front signal and brake lights are weak. also, brake light blinks when signals turned on. nothing works when HIGH is switched on. I've checked and replaced fuses and checked for any exposed or piched wires and have found nothing. Any suggestions on what to check next? I ordered a repair manual and am still waiting for it to arrive so I decided to check here in the mean time. Any suggestions would be great!!!

VTRII
13th June 2007, 11:22
Check not only power leads, but grounds. Do you have a multimeter?

cantolina
13th June 2007, 15:44
Headlights and rear signal lights do not work when on LO and front signal and brake lights are weak. also, brake light blinks when signals turned on. nothing works when HIGH is switched on. I've checked and replaced fuses and checked for any exposed or piched wires and have found nothing. Any suggestions on what to check next? I ordered a repair manual and am still waiting for it to arrive so I decided to check here in the mean time. Any suggestions would be great!!!

Need more info...

What has been done to the bike recently? This isn't a typical "all-of-a-sudden" kind of problem...

CT1200
13th June 2007, 16:01
Do you have any of the run-brake-turn add ons or mods?
What kind of bulbs? Have you tried to replace the bulbs?

Gone
13th June 2007, 19:07
check all ground wires, one could be loose. the easiest places would be inside all turn signals,tail light and head light housings. I had a Baja Bug with fiberglass fenders and to get the turnsignals and tail lights to work they had to be grounded to the frame. I had really weird problems crop up - when I used my turn signals the horn would beep, radio would go on and off when I used my brights and so forth, but these things would not happen each and every time but got more consistant as time passed. I ended up tracing it to a loose ground wire in my left tail light. Have fun in your search. Dave

pestybrat
14th June 2007, 05:59
Need more info...

What has been done to the bike recently? This isn't a typical "all-of-a-sudden" kind of problem...
we replaced the battery

Gone
6th September 2007, 03:07
My son's '99 Sportster chop had the weld break on the side mount license
plate bracket, and it went skittering down the road, shorting out the 3
wires (red, white, black) in the process when they tore lose. The
speedometer is stuck at 52 mph, and does not come on, and there are no
brake lights turn signals, or horn. Running lights (it has the tail
light/turn signal conversion kit with red lenses) and headlight work
fine. This is unchanged after repairing the mount and reattaching the
wires. It acts like a circuit breaker or fuse has blown, but I can only
find one fuse under the seat, (a 75) and it appears unscathed. Is there
something easy here I am missing?

--
Ironheads are a bunch of parts that almost fit...

64physhy
29th October 2007, 21:25
John, on the electrical cover on the right side, there is a little fuse block that slides out kind of like an electrical connector. There are about 4 fuses in there. One is for the horn, turn signals and brake light. it probably blew when you had the short.

Now for my problem, that same fuse keeps blowing on my 2000. I checked for spots where the wire might be shorted, but can't find any. When I replaced the fuse, I tried everything out and it worked fine. Then I started it up, squeezed the brake, and it blew again. It all started one day when I took my wife for a ride, so i though maybe the tire rubbed a wire inside the fender, even though it never felt like that happened, and I can't find anything wrong with them. Any ideas?

64physhy
29th October 2007, 21:26
I almost forgot, the speedo also goes out.

Sportster1200
30th October 2007, 01:00
Definitely a ground issue. The things that are dying are trying to find a path to ground.

Double check you connections to the battery.

KongBastard

Sportster1200
30th October 2007, 01:02
Now for my problem, that same fuse keeps blowing on my 2000. I checked for spots where the wire might be shorted, but can't find any. When I replaced the fuse, I tried everything out and it worked fine. Then I started it up, squeezed the brake, and it blew again. It all started one day when I took my wife for a ride, so i though maybe the tire rubbed a wire inside the fender, even though it never felt like that happened, and I can't find anything wrong with them. Any ideas?

Bad wire to the brakelight.

KongBastard

Mean Gene
31st October 2007, 08:29
Now for my problem, that same fuse keeps blowing on my 2000. I checked for spots where the wire might be shorted, but can't find any. When I replaced the fuse, I tried everything out and it worked fine. Then I started it up, squeezed the brake, and it blew again. It all started one day when I took my wife for a ride, so i though maybe the tire rubbed a wire inside the fender, even though it never felt like that happened, and I can't find anything wrong with them. Any ideas? I almost forgot, the speedo also goes out.

I just had the same problem after installing my extra LED brake light. No lights, no horn, no speedo. The fuse for the brake lights kept blowing out exactly as you described. Turns out, my load equalizer literally melted. I needed a new more powerful equalizer. If you have a load equalizer, take a look. I bet it's fried.