PDA

View Full Version : "old school" DOT 3/4 helmets?

earthoverdrive
8th May 2005, 16:56
Anybody know of any companies making DOT 3/4 helmets that have that old look? Like the thinner looking ones that sometimes had sparkly paint? I always wear a helmet of some sort but I'm sick of the giant bulky ones I have.

flathead45
8th May 2005, 16:59
off hand ... no , but sometimes I see then at a goodwill store

oh wait , fleet farm has them for about 50 bucks, any color you want .... as long as its black

xl1200r
8th May 2005, 17:34
Check out www.lickscycles.com and click on "Helmets - Davida". They're pretty old-school looking. Pricey but they seem like high quality units.

voneville
8th May 2005, 17:53
Check out www.lickscycles.com and click on "Helmets - Davida". They're pretty old-school looking. Pricey but they seem like high quality units.

I don't know if any of the davida helmets are DOT approved. I know mine isn't, but it's the vintage "pudding bowl" cafe racer style. It's got a cork liner :) But their 3/4 helmets might be, they're not really marketed here in America. I know vintage helmets come up on EBAY but even if they are DOT approved the materials break down over time and don't offer the same amount of protection as when they were new. Helmets are only good for about 5 years. If you're wearing a helmet because you care about your head you're better off with the new helmets, if you don't care about your head and just trying to meet the requirements of the law then eBay would be your best bet.

xl1200r
8th May 2005, 18:41
The Jet helmets from Davida do meet the DOT standards. I believe the rest meet some scandanvian something or other....

TNsportster
9th May 2005, 01:25
I have a Davida 3/4 with the flames. I believe it is the Jet model. 2nd one I've had. Quality is second to none. The velvet/ leather lining is sooooo nice!

the Speedster model is a bit smaller, meets nordic safety standards but not DOT. I doubt you'd get pulled over for it.

I can't recommend them enough.

Personally, I HATE old metalflake helmets. Especially since they're the "new/old" thing - every wannabe "chopper god" in cali seems to have his oversized head stuffed into one!

earthoverdrive
9th May 2005, 03:53
I don't really like the metalflake look myself, I was just trying to describe that type of helmet. I don't know what the deal is with Socal, in WI we are out of it and okay with that.
Anyway... thanks for the info everyone.

boomer
9th May 2005, 22:15
Are you wanting just a plain old 3/4 helmet like this?
http://www.onsitedeals.com/helmets/Caliber/Dot/10white.jpg

jrmkel
9th May 2005, 22:51
http://www.hjchelmets.com/cl31_racer.htm
I thought of something like this from what you described.
I have one like this that I wear once in a while.
It's comfortable.

earthoverdrive
10th May 2005, 00:38
Are you wanting just a plain old 3/4 helmet like this?
http://www.onsitedeals.com/helmets/Caliber/Dot/10white.jpg

Pretty much like that. Something not super thick and heavy, I have a big head and I'm a thin guy so it usually looks like I'm wearing size XXXL when it's only L. :laugh

boomer
10th May 2005, 22:35
I know just the place to get those.:D

You have a PM!

wriggly
28th May 2005, 01:40
I know just the place to get those.:D

You have a PM!Hey!! come on now!! Share it please? I want to know too.

HrdlyDangrs
28th May 2005, 02:15
Go to E'bay and type in motorcycle helmet. Theres a bunch of listing by guys selling older metalflake helmets from the sixties and early seventies. Some guys have new in the box unused (NOS) helmets and they go between 40-120 bucks. Warning...bidding can get rabid for these old helmets!! :smoke