PDA

View Full Version : 05 Brake Pads--IS this going to cause problems?

DIESEL
20th June 2007, 16:10
I was putting the rear pads back on the bike last night (I had the entire brake system apart last night replacing every possible part b/c the brake does not work). Anyway, when I was installing the pads, i could not quite get everything lined up finally got it done but had to use "Orange County Choppers" method to get the pin in. (I used a hammer) tightened it up with the correct allen wrench and it appears to be fine. Should I put some grease on it? Any suggestions?

Here is what I have or am replacing:
Fluid (dot 5)
Pads
Master Cylinder Rebuild kit
Caliper Rebuild kid
Brake light switch
Took off all the lines and made sure they were clean.

FYI--Bike is 2.5 years old and has 22 thousand. I had the MC and the pads replaced at 9k under warranty. I thought about swapping parts with my GF's 07 then taking hers to the shop, but my concious got in the way--Freaking thing

thescreenman
20th June 2007, 16:13
grease and pads dont mix,you could put a little anti-size on the bolts.That will make it not rust up in there next time.

Hot Rod Sporty
20th June 2007, 16:14
I had to have the rear master cylinder replaced at 7500 miles. Are you sure it's not the master cylinder instead of the caliper?

Bill2
20th June 2007, 16:33
Those "pins" bend pretty easy on the rear caliper. They can bend from just wearing the rear brake pad down too much, like about a 1/16" are less. It happen to mine and i had to replace one of the pins, cost about $2.00. BTW it can be hard to see the bend in the pin and it only takes a little to get the brake out of whack. The rear caliper is not designed as good as the front caliper.

DIESEL
20th June 2007, 16:52
I may just pick up a new pin.

hot Rod--The MC was replace and I am rebuilding it with the updated parts as part of this overhaul. I can't think of anything else I could replace besides what is being done.

AZbiker
21st June 2007, 20:47
Ever figure out if your master cylinder was working right?