PDA

View Full Version : Clutch adjustment needed?

mordak
11th May 2005, 21:51
I originally posted this in the Rubber Mount section but figured more people would see it in the forum.

I have a 2004 XL1200R it's got 1800 miles on it. I got it last week with 1400 and I have noticed that in 1st gear it feels like the clutch is slipping until you reach at least 15 mph and it gets much better at 20 mph. Could this be fixed with an adjustment to the clutch? It seems to me that you should be able to ride the bike in 1st gear at 5 to 10 mph with out worring that the bike is gonna stall. The only fix I can find is more throttle which obviously speeds the bike up and gets me to 2nd gear quick. At this rate this bike is gonna suck in traffic. Any suggestions ? Should I take it back to the dealer and have them check it out?
TIA.

AZFlyingDiver
7th June 2005, 06:09
I have an '05 XL 883 C with a similar "bad habit" - With an even-handed clutch release in 1st, the clutch clips and then grabs more suddenly at the end (at about 20-25 mph) - almost like I popped the lever at the end even though I didn't. This doesn't happen in any other gear. It hasn't been a big deal but it is a little annoying. Any ideas out there??

Samueul
30th June 2005, 02:13
I have the same exact thing happen on my 04 883std.. I was entertaining the thought of messing with the clutch adjustment, but part of me thinks this might be "normal" ???

Any pro's out there have any insight/input?

mordak
30th June 2005, 02:20
It hasen't gotten any better in about 1500 miles since I posted this topic either. :confused:

JDCIV
7th July 2005, 20:36
I've got a Ď05 1200R and I have noticed the clutch grabbing at the end of the release as I am taking off from a stop. This only happens when the engine is hot, after 15 miles or so, usually after I have been sitting at a light. I havenít noticed it when Iíve downshifted for traffic.

According to the work order, the dealer used Sport-Trans when I had the 1000-mile service done. Iím at 1800 miles and I first started noticing this about 200 miles ago.

The threads IĎve read seem to equate this to a Syn-3 problem, and it seems to go away after people switch back. Is there a possible fluid level or clutch adjustment for this problem w/ Sport-Trans?

Thanks,

Jeff

dwardy
8th July 2005, 05:55
There is a clutch/clutch-cable adjustment procedure in the manual that you should go through. I believe a search on the forum will yield a few results on that as well. The adjustment of the nut/lockplate is a bit of a "feel" thing but it will make perfect sense as you go through it, following the manual.

JDCIV
8th July 2005, 16:30
thanks for the info. I figured it just needed adjustment, but w/ the stuff popping up in some of the threads I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask before I started taking it apart