PDA

View Full Version : New rotors and tires after 5000 miles?!

Bull Moose
4th July 2007, 02:27
I had my sporty into the dealer for its 5000 mile service (I know, I know, but I'm not in a good position to do it myself right now.)

Anyway, just got a call from the dealer and he says that in addition to the regular service, the leaks in the rocker box cover that the warranty will cover, it needs new pads, rotors, and tires front and back.

Pads I understand, but rotors and tires? WTF? Granted, I commute in the city every day in stop and go traffic and Seattle's big hills, but only lasting 5000 miles? Whole deal is going to cost $800 on top of the $300 service.

Rather than tell him to stop, until I can get down there to look at it, and delay getting my bike back, I told him just to do it and keep the old parts so I can examine them. They better look worn... and they better be the parts off of my bike (the tires I'll be able to tell).

Anyone else have the rotors give out after 5,000 miles? I have a buddy with 50,000 miles on his bike and has never touched his rotors.

Vegas1200C
4th July 2007, 02:33
Unless your brake pads wore down to metal and destroyed the rotors I don't see replacing them until they rust out.

geekrider
4th July 2007, 02:36
Problem is when you get there and the parts are fine you won't be getting your money back from the dealer.

SteveK
4th July 2007, 02:36
You should be able to visually look at the tires yourslef and see if they need replaced. My is just under 5k and my tires look fine. Havent paid much attention to brakes pads or rotors but I cant imagine either need to be replace at 5k. Of course I guess it all depends on how hard you are putting the 5k on it.

I would be inclined to just have them do the 5k service get it back and get a 2nd opinion.

Brad
4th July 2007, 02:40
Everyone is different, but if you trashed the pads, you could have trashed the rotors.

That being said, I got 15,000 miles out of the rear pads, 16,000 out of the tires, and I'm still on the front pads.

Not knowing all of the details, I'd look for a new place to get my service done.

joe66
4th July 2007, 02:42
Unless you ride the brakes all the time I'd say no way the pads, could be worn out. I've got 7200 miles on mine and he pads are still over 1/8 thk. and I feel that I do quite a bit of hard braking. The front tire is original, the rear was replaced due to a large screw. The rotors show very little wear. Do you feel the work is necessary? Only you really know what the bikes condition was when you took it in. FWIW, I think the stealer is trying to get your $$$.

BWP 5p
4th July 2007, 02:49
13,500 on my 05 1200 R....and trust me........I ride the pizz out of mine. Lot's of high speed....get hard on the brakes stuff.......original pads and rotors.

Something doesn't seem quite right there! If you do stop and go stuff.....you can't be harder on yours than I am mine:doh

Bull Moose
4th July 2007, 02:53
OK. Thanks for the advice.

I think I'll call over there first thing Thursday, tell them to finish the 5000 mile and the warranty work and stop. Then I'll bring it to a dealer in the area that I've heard good things about.

Bruce
4th July 2007, 02:55
I did put tires on mine at 6500, bought the pads just in case, the old pads had at least 3/4 wear left So I got the new ones when I do need them. I'd get my old parts also, and my rotors still look great also.

Bull Moose
4th July 2007, 02:55
Problem is when you get there and the parts are fine you won't be getting your money back from the dealer.

True, but at least I'd know never deal with them again. Plus I'm (almost) a lawyer, which often comes in handy for getting a few bucks back in situations like that.

renpia
4th July 2007, 03:21
Okay, the tires could prematurely wear if you leave on concrete over the winter and such causing small cracks and dry rot...but the rotors going at 5000 miles seems fishy. I've had my bike for over 12 years and it's still on the original rotors.

XLXR
4th July 2007, 03:26
It may be possible to wear brakes and rotors that quickly, but only if you are seriously abusing them or something is wrong. Are you sure you are not dragging the brakes without realizing it? Common for back brakes. If the calipers are dragging, not pulling off the pads, the pads and rotors will wear very quickly. If you pressure wash your bike too much and the calipers or pins they slide on get sticky, that may cause them to drag a bit. Technically, if just one groove is cut into the rotor too deep, it is out of service limits. I usually take out the pads before grooves form in the rotors and place flat sand paper on the garage floor and sand off the high spots in the pads. This keeps deeps grooves from forming in the rotors. Not a recommended procedure.

opiewontaylor
4th July 2007, 03:53
I had my sporty into the dealer for its 5000 mile service (I know, I know, but I'm not in a good position to do it myself right now.)

Anyway, just got a call from the dealer and he says that in addition to the regular service, the leaks in the rocker box cover that the warranty will cover, it needs new pads, rotors, and tires front and back.

Pads I understand, but rotors and tires? WTF? Granted, I commute in the city every day in stop and go traffic and Seattle's big hills, but only lasting 5000 miles? Whole deal is going to cost $800 on top of the $300 service.

Rather than tell him to stop, until I can get down there to look at it, and delay getting my bike back, I told him just to do it and keep the old parts so I can examine them. They better look worn... and they better be the parts off of my bike (the tires I'll be able to tell).

Anyone else have the rotors give out after 5,000 miles? I have a buddy with 50,000 miles on his bike and has never touched his rotors.

What did your tires look like when you brought the bike in? Plenty of tread? Any sidewall cracking? I had to replace the rear at 7k because the previous owner kept the tires under inflated. The rotor part sounds real fishy. You could maybe get one defective or warped rotor, but both sounds strange. Pads should last at least 10k, near twice that if you're easy on 'em. In 39 years of riding 17 different bikes, I've never had to replace a rotor...course...the first six had drum brakes.....

cg1001
4th July 2007, 05:03
The rotor has a minimum thickness marked on them that you can check with a micrometer. Whenever I replace a tire I repack my bearings and check the rotor. With over 50k on both brakes I still have only had to replace my pads twice.

JADE1200S
4th July 2007, 05:32
I get about 5,000 miles out of a rear tire and close to 10,000 on the front tire. Replaced all the pads at 10K, ... rotors were fine on my stage 1 1200s used for town and country back road riding.

Bull Moose
23rd July 2007, 04:00
Well, I finally got my bike back today! They had some warranty work to do on an oil leak from the rocker box covers, and kept giving me the it'll be done in a couple days routine.

ANYWAY... They ended up putting the new rotors and brakes on, but did not charge me for them. They said the extended warranty covered them after specifically telling me that it didn't.
I guess I don't really care who paid for them if I didn't. I was going to give them an earful about keeping my bike for 3 1/2 weeks, but shelling out $800 less than I thought I was going to have to put me in a better mood.

They didn't change the tires, however. I asked them what the deal was and they said that upon further inspection they didn't think I needed them. I'm going to ask for a second opinion on them, though, because I'm a little nervous about them now.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the advice.

theoldog
23rd July 2007, 05:42
At 42,000 + miles, I have replaced my pads once, my front tires normally last about 15-20k miles, rear, 10-15k. Pads and tires can be checked on the bike easily. Unless you do a LOT of burn outs and lock up your brakes every time you stop, I think they are taking unfair advantage of you.

Goshawk
23rd July 2007, 05:54
Things did work out well for you. Once you gave them permission to replace the tires and they changed their mind on the wear that seems pretty honest to me. Good for you.

Bill2
23rd July 2007, 06:38
Its good everything turned out alright. Just wanted to add most rear tires in the 70's and 80's never got over 5000 miles, the compound is just softer for better grip on motorcycle tires. And even today brakes can be worn out in as little as 5000 miles but some may go 20,000 miles. A persons weight has a lot to do with it and like you said you do a lot of stop and go on hills. Some of those guys that get high mileage on tires and brakes pads are 175lbs and less, some also ride easy on flat land. So look at the big picture and most of the time it adds up. Almost forgot air pressure in your tires will also cause lower tire mileage if not kept inflated to the right psi.

Krayven Sumhead
23rd July 2007, 10:21
I always replace both sets of brake pads when I replace the tires. The brakes aren't gonna last thru another set of tires, and I don't want to miss any riding weather. If the rotors are warped, they should be replaced, but you'd feel something. 5,000 miles is real questionable unless you live next to the 'Dragon'. I got 14,000 miles out of my original tires and brakes and still have the original rotors which look new. 1 front rotor replaced on T.Bagger at 36,000 miles, but it was warped and I could feel it. I blew out my front brakes on the BRP. Rode it back to Michigan using the back brake only.

66impala
23rd July 2007, 14:20
Its time to invest in a service manual for the bike and pick up some tools at sears. Buy a air gauge that has a tread depth gauge, find out on line what the minimal depth is to pass inspection in your state, also keep in mind what the minimal you will accept if you get caught in the rain. You should check tire air pressure everyday, your tires will last longer that way. I got 17k out of my tires and brake pads, I did notice I tend to use my rear brakes more, now I try to use more of the front brakes when stopping.

I still would want to see the old pads, If half of a pad set was worn on one side of the rotor then something was hanging up on the caliber. Your rotors have a maximum run out if the dealer used a fixed base dial indicator they should tell you what the maximum tollerance acceptable is and how far out your rotors were, thats besides checking the thinkness of the rotor its self.

Ive been lucky so far, I havent needed the dealer to diagnose any real problems that would require them to plug in there lap top. The few problems were easy to see and fix myself. Example: Main drive belt broke, 2 bad crank sensors.

TheExecutioner
23rd July 2007, 14:35
Sounds like a under worked dealership.

Ask them why after you see your good tires and half worn pads.

Then again.....I went through a set of tires after about 7000. If your using stock Harley tires...which I did......they wear fast.

I swithed to Metzlers....and I get about 11,000 out of them.