PDA

View Full Version : New Tire front wheel install

Swankster
4th July 2007, 06:49
No probs removing the front wheel/tire from the bike to have a new tire mounted at Cycle Gear for $30. New Avon Roadrider AM26 100/90-19 V rated tread looks really cool. Not a perfect match for the Avon Venom rear but I don't think I'll encounter any problems and it was alot cheaper than the Venom.
Anyways, to the question I have...
Before the change I had no front end issues.
The hardware including the front axle looks fine but how can you tell if the bearings are going bad? I had no play but can you tell from a visual inspection of them before I put the wheel back on? What do I look for?
Should I use any substance/lubricants/grease on the hardware/axle?
Could not find anything searching the forum.
Hope to wake up west coast time to some answers.
Thanks in advance
Swankster

Joe Dirt
4th July 2007, 14:59
If there is no play at all, and they look fine, then the bearings should be OK. I coat the axles and insides of spacers with Mobil 1 synthetic bearing grease. It will prevent any corrosion. Wipe off any excess that oozes out after assembly so it doesn't get on your brakes.

rottenralph
4th July 2007, 15:04
Don't forget to regrease your bearings(as long as they are not sealed).

Jimbos883
4th July 2007, 15:18
If there is no play at all, and they look fine, then the bearings should be OK. I coat the axles and insides of spacers with Mobil 1 synthetic bearing grease. It will prevent any corrosion. Wipe off any excess that oozes out after assembly so it doesn't get on your brakes.

What Joe said. You'll know if the new sealed bearings are bad you'll feel play between the inner race and the outer race of the bearing. If they don't show any of that play you should be good to go. And above all do what Joe says, coat that axel, I use anti-seize either one works but coat it damn-it, so you don't have to pound it out the next time. Follow the installation instructions in your manual you should be fine.